Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Go figure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

I had an old 80GB USB external drive. I attached it and Windows would not open the drive, saying it had to be formatted. I opened Disk Management and it said the disk was RAW. I scanned the drive with Testdisk and a Partition Manager with no results. In fact Testdisk said the file system was damaged. For some reason the partition manager showed it as formatted NTFS with some data and I was a little concerned on what was on the drive.

I figured what do I have to lose so I booted my old computer with Ubuntu, attached the USB drive and low and behold it mounted the drive without a hiccup. I browsed the drive and only recycle bin/system restore data was on the disk so I launched Gparted, deleted the partition table and reformatted the drive. 

Moral of the story? If your disk shows RAW and Windows fails to open it give linux a try.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

:thumbup2:

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Couldn't agree more, John. In fact the only stuff I ever known even Linux have problems with is if you've written a 'locked' ISO file to a disk. The only way round that is to dd the entire thing, because it's invariably 'read-only'.

Mike.  :wink:

Couldn't agree more, John. In fact the only stuff I ever known even Linux have problems with is if you've written a 'locked' ISO file to a disk. The only way round that is to dd the entire thing, because it's invariably 'read-only'.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

It just leaves a smile on your face !

Well....it does on mine.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Topic should be renamed ... "Go Linux"

Made my day.

Nice one John :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Linux the smart choice for smart people. :thumbsup:

Windows. :hysterical:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users