Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Go figure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

I had an old 80GB USB external drive. I attached it and Windows would not open the drive, saying it had to be formatted. I opened Disk Management and it said the disk was RAW. I scanned the drive with Testdisk and a Partition Manager with no results. In fact Testdisk said the file system was damaged. For some reason the partition manager showed it as formatted NTFS with some data and I was a little concerned on what was on the drive.

I figured what do I have to lose so I booted my old computer with Ubuntu, attached the USB drive and low and behold it mounted the drive without a hiccup. I browsed the drive and only recycle bin/system restore data was on the disk so I launched Gparted, deleted the partition table and reformatted the drive. 

Moral of the story? If your disk shows RAW and Windows fails to open it give linux a try.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

:thumbup2:

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Couldn't agree more, John. In fact the only stuff I ever known even Linux have problems with is if you've written a 'locked' ISO file to a disk. The only way round that is to dd the entire thing, because it's invariably 'read-only'.

Mike.  :wink:

Couldn't agree more, John. In fact the only stuff I ever known even Linux have problems with is if you've written a 'locked' ISO file to a disk. The only way round that is to dd the entire thing, because it's invariably 'read-only'.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

It just leaves a smile on your face !

Well....it does on mine.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Topic should be renamed ... "Go Linux"

Made my day.

Nice one John :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Linux the smart choice for smart people. :thumbsup:

Windows. :hysterical:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users