Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 boot problem related to Visual Studio 2015/Xamarin Updates

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 fletchpenn919

fletchpenn919

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

March 4, 2017
Hello all,

I am a very experienced software engineer with years of experience developing and troubleshooting windows applications.
I recently started learning mobile development using Xamarin.Forms tools and love the environment.
However, a recent Windows 7 boot problem on my primary development workstation has got me stumped and I need your help.

Summary: Windows 7 will not boot and goes into System Recovery mode.
Recovery mode discovers several problems but eventually gives up and I am stuck with a machine that is unusable.
This has happened twice under very similar conditions.

Details:
I installed VS2015/Xamarin on my workstation starting January 2, 2017 and have been learning, building sample apps and deploying to my Android and iPhone like crazy for two months with no problems.
My workstation is a very reliable computer with an MSI P7N-SLI motherboard,
A fellow software engineer has been following the same path and also has the Mac i need to deploy to the iphone. (I don't have a mac)
The problems started last Friday, February 24, 2017 after installing the latest Xamarin update, version 4.3.0.
The computer started to shut down, but said:
"Operations are in progress, please wait. The machine will turn off automatically after the operations are complete"
I waited over 24 hours with no shut down. I gave up and turned the machine off manually.
Upon reboot, i got windows 7 startup screen, then Blue Screen of Death, then instant reboot.
More reboots produced multiple runs of Windows System Repair, and eventually Repair gave up with message:
"Windows system repair cannot fix this computer automatically"

I decided to restore the computer completely to a pre Xamarin/VS2015 condition, using an Acronis full disk image backup.
The backup was from Dec 14, 2017 and worked fine to a brand new 250GB sata drive.

I proceeded to spend the next week reloading VS2015, Xamarin, Android SDK, Java JDK 1.8, HAXM, and other supporting tools.
The computer worked flawlessly through multiple reboots.
I installed one last Xamarin update, v4.3.0, using the unversal installer, and did a full disk image backup to an external drive.
The next morning, the computer was locked up with displays off, and I was forced to do a manual power down.
Then, the problems started again. Windows logo, BSOD, instant reboot.
Multiple runs of Windows Startup Repair produced the following results:

1. Repair found (2) corrupt files and "successfully repaired" them:
nvstor.sys and nvstor64.sys

2. Repair kept trying and produced another Root Cause which it could not resolve:
"A patch is preventing the system from starting"

3. System Restore does not work because I did not have one old enough. VS2015 install DID NOT create a restore point even though it said it was doing it.

So, i am stumped and concerned that starting over again will end up with the same bad results.
I theorize the problem is with one of the following:

1. The most recent Xamarin update is breaking my windows computer
2. There is a conflict between windows 7 system files and Xamarin / VS2015 support files (windows 10 dlls?).
3. I have a serious hidden virus that AVG cannot find.
4. I am missing a hint somewhere.

In summary, i totally love the Xamarin/VS2015 toolset and want to develop more mobile apps.
But, I am afraid rebulding again will just give the same results of a computer that won't boot.

Please help.
Best Regards,

Fletcher Penn  MCSD, MCP, BSEE
President & Senior Architect
Visual Systems & Support Inc
5013 Wood Valley Drive
Raleigh, NC  27613

Edited by fletchpenn919, 04 March 2017 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

Hi

Do you have a screenshot of the BSOD, perhaps? That could help us figure out what is going on. I also suggest that you install all the Windows Updates, make a disk image after they are installed, and then try installing the Xamarin updates

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#4 fletchpenn919

fletchpenn919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Guys, please read my description. My machine will not boot Windows, therefore i cannot run windows update or minitoolbox or speccy...

The BSOD goes by immediately with no pausing, and reboots.

I can get to the command prompt and see the hard drive by going thru Advanced System Recovery Options, so maybe i can run something to fix the problem.

I have read that DISM utility might help me repair the Patch that is preventing windows from starting, but did not have success finding the correct package that was installing.

Edited by fletchpenn919, 04 March 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

nvstor.sys and nvstor64.sys are nvidia nforce drivers.  I assume tapping F8 and selecting Safe Mode fails also, correct?

#6 fletchpenn919

fletchpenn919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

yes, safe mode fails with instant blue screen and hard boot.

But, please note my comment about "A patch is preventing the system from starting" as the final "Root Cause" before it totally gave up. I think that is a major hint at the real problem. Not sure if there is any other tool that can help after Windows Startup Repair gives up, other than a full disk image restore.

BTW Gentlemen, i really appreciate your help and time. Having other computer people to talk with is a priceless resource. Thank you also to BleepingComputer for existing.

#7 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

You can post the BSOD to this forum if you use your phone to take a picture, upload it to a different computer, and post it here. Are you able to boot into safe mode at all? I recommend posting that BSOD, it can contain some valuable information. As for the boot errors go, the nvstor.sys and nvstor.sys are not nvidia-related from what I can see, they are critical files in your system made my Microsoft, that managed to get corrupted or are missing. These files are needed to boot apparently, and if they do not work properly they wont boot, I'm sure you knew that. Do you happen to know the directory the Xamarin saved to? It's possible it could have saved into a C: folder somewhere and messed with a few files.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

Tapping F8 and selecting Disable Auto Restart on System Failure should allow you to see what error the BSOD throws.

#9 fletchpenn919

fletchpenn919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Fluxxi,

Safe mode is not working. Get same result as normal boot. See the windows flower logo, and 1 sec BSOD and it reboots from CMOS . No time to read, pause or take a pic. Vy frustrating.

The Xamarin and Visual Studio 2015 Community installs put lots of drivers in lots of places, including System32...

Plus, my problems seem to occur only after i do a final Xamarin update install, v4.3.0.

Xamarin and VS2015 installs lots of windows 10 dll's so i can build Windows UWP apps. Suspect that may be a problem, so have posted this same problem on Xamarin Forum to see what they can add.

maybe i can find a log somewhere or get to the event viewer, but can only access the hdd via command prompt.

thanks,

Fletch

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

Guys, please read my description. My machine will not boot Windows, therefore i cannot run windows update or minitoolbox or speccy...

The BSOD goes by immediately with no pausing, and reboots.

I can get to the command prompt and see the hard drive by going thru Advanced System Recovery Options, so maybe i can run something to fix the problem.

I have read that DISM utility might help me repair the Patch that is preventing windows from starting, but did not have success finding the correct package that was installing.

Sorry, I thought you restored it back to the backup image.

In this case, could you screenshot the BSOD and attach it? If that is not possible, then write down the error code in the BSOD (in this case, your error code could be different):

hIbwdJK.jpg

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 04 March 2017 - 07:12 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#11 fletchpenn919

fletchpenn919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Tapping F8 and selecting Disable Auto Restart on System Failure should allow you to see what error the BSOD throws.

thanks JohnC... Good idea. i will try that.

#12 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

My theory is your issue occurred after installing Xamarin and it could have replaced important .dll files in the System32 folder, unfortunately it sounds like it replaced some rather important ones. I also have a UWP for android and apple, this is to port games I create to the appropriate format in order for the devices to recognize the file. I have had no issues with these however yours do not use android or apple watermarks, it uses Windows. I've never heard of this issue happening in the past, it seems it could just be a misinterpretation of file locations through your computer.

EDIT: I changed my username, I'm still the same person here to help. :)

Edited by Illustrious, 04 March 2017 - 07:39 PM.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#13 fletchpenn919

fletchpenn919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

my bsod.

Thanks all for ur time.Attached File  20170304_195936.jpg   75.5KB   1 downloads

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

That stop code usually indicates a problem with the HD mass storage driver. Sometime entering your BIOS and changing your mode from AHCI to IDE will allow the computer to boot. 

#15 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

Well this is where my help concedes, onto the pros now. It was a pleasure meeting you and being able to help you with your issue to the best of my ability, however I am not educated enough to help you beyond this point. Best of luck, I hope this fixes for you! :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users