Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I get better speed using cat6 cable partner with non gigabit router?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 petebals

petebals

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

Pls enlighten me on this or do you have better explanation about gigabit speed? 

My question is 
Do I still get better performance in speed if I use cat6 cable into non gigabit router and non gigabit land card than using cat5e cable? 

I made a scanario, shall we say:

Set A:  using cat6 cable      +     non gigabit swtich/router and non gigabit land card         *(15meters apart from router/sw to pc)

Set B:  using cat5e cable    +     non gigabit switch/router and non gigabit land card         *(15meters apart from router/sw to pc)

Which do you think much is faster A or B, regardless if it dramatic change in speed or not.

or setA and SetB are just the same speed. Because they are using non gigabit switch?

This is mind boggling for me, that's why I ask because

There are lot of "IT" people and vendors who advice to others like "use cat6 cable because it's way faster speed than cat5e". 

and not knowing the type of router and the land card of that person is using. I believe that most of us don't use gigabit router or gigabit switch and gigabit landcard,(I expected that person using non gigabit device)

Is it true faster speed or something is missing? 

Please help. Hope you understand my question.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

Network speeds are limited to the slowest device in the chain.  Provided the cables are up to specification you will see little to no difference.  IT people use CAT6 so that when they update the network later they don't have to visit every machine to replace the network cables.

Unless you're going over 1GB CAT5e is all you need.

CAT5e vs CAT6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users