Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange behavior with cafe Wifi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

I have been to this cafe before so the connection comes up in my connections list.

But when I open my browser it did not ask for a password. The connections list said I am connected.

But Firefox said "Cannot connect to Server."

The band symbol gets the little yellow triangle.

I tried deleting the adapter and adding it again, but still no connection.

I tried going to Internet Explorer (My OS is win 7 pro 64)

Then I connected to Linux (I have dual boot) and the cafe connection was listed and I was connected right away.

During all this a notice keeps coming up about a wifi connection at another location, asking me if I want to set it to connect automatically. I am wondering if something about this other connection is interfering with my connection to the cafe wifi.

Anyone who understands internet mechanism and can unravel this-- help would be appreciated. There are some things I cannot use Linux for so I must connect with Win.

Edited by Achaemenid, 04 March 2017 - 11:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

I don't know exactly what's causing your issue. It might just be a corrupted WiFi profile, but I suppose you also tried deleting it from your saved historical WiFi connections list?

This is why it did not ask you for the password again, since it had already saved it from last time. Possible scenario is that the password changed, and hence the old saved password no longer works. Or that you need to delete the saved connection and re-connect, re-enter password to get it going again.

Now the thing with the other connection asking you to join, you need to understand that if a Wireless hotspot is asking you to join, it has to be in range. So this other location popping up is either an uncommon bug of some sort, or a malicious network spoofing the name somehow.

Cafes with free WiFi are great spots for cyber criminals to hang out and steal your data by setting up fake hotspots themselves. They are often able to snoop on some or lots of your traffic, steal data..

To be on the safe side, I would encrypt my data when using free WiFi at a cafe for example. This way if you do happen to be on a hijacked network,  all your web traffic will be encrypted and secure.

In any case, I never use public hotspots without connecting to a VPN service, I use PIA because it's cheap but you can even opt for a free one as long as you're not using the web for anything intensive. Here's a few free of cost options available: http://vpnpick.com/best-free-vpn/

Hope this helps!

#3 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

Hello Achaemenid. Depending on which windows version you are using, can you navigate to the Network and Sharing Center? Once here, check and see at the top of the page and see if it has (computer name) --- (network) --- (Internet)
If you are only connecting to the Network, your issue is with the internet connection. If you are unable to connect to both, your computer is not recognizing the network more than likely.

Is it at all possible the Cafe has changes their network details (name / passwords)? You could just be connecting to an old network that still exists and has not been disabled, and since you have connected to it before with a password, your computer recognizes the network and cached your password, automatically connecting to the network that potentially does not exist any more.

Other than these things I don't believe I can narrow your solution down given the limited information. See you soon!

Edited by Illustrious, 04 March 2017 - 09:03 PM.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#4 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I don't know exactly what's causing your issue. It might just be a corrupted WiFi profile, but I suppose you also tried deleting it from your saved historical WiFi connections list?

This is why it did not ask you for the password again, since it had already saved it from last time. Possible scenario is that the password changed, and hence the old saved password no longer works. Or that you need to delete the saved connection and re-connect, re-enter password to get it going again.

Now the thing with the other connection asking you to join, you need to understand that if a Wireless hotspot is asking you to join, it has to be in range. So this other location popping up is either an uncommon bug of some sort, or a malicious network spoofing the name somehow.

Cafes with free WiFi are great spots for cyber criminals to hang out and steal your data by setting up fake hotspots themselves. They are often able to snoop on some or lots of your traffic, steal data..

To be on the safe side, I would encrypt my data when using free WiFi at a cafe for example. This way if you do happen to be on a hijacked network,  all your web traffic will be encrypted and secure.

In any case, I never use public hotspots without connecting to a VPN service, I use PIA because it's cheap but you can even opt for a free one as long as you're not using the web for anything intensive. Here's a few free of cost options available: http://vpnpick.com/best-free-vpn/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting this. Can you recommend a way to encrypt my data when I am at a public wifi?  I already have a vpn but I am not entirely sure if just using a different server is the same as encryption.

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hello Achaemenid. Depending on which windows version you are using, can you navigate to the Network and Sharing Center? Once here, check and see at the top of the page and see if it has (computer name) --- (network) --- (Internet)
If you are only connecting to the Network, your issue is with the internet connection. If you are unable to connect to both, your computer is not recognizing the network more than likely.

Is it at all possible the Cafe has changes their network details (name / passwords)? You could just be connecting to an old network that still exists and has not been disabled, and since you have connected to it before with a password, your computer recognizes the network and cached your password, automatically connecting to the network that potentially does not exist any more.

Other than these things I don't believe I can narrow your solution down given the limited information. See you soon!

Thanks for this response. It is true I had connected to this cafe wifi about 3 years before.  While I was unable to connect to it through windows I got in through Linux.

I assume just deleting the connection and adapter and re-inserting the info is the solution.

#6 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for posting this. Can you recommend a way to encrypt my data when I am at a public wifi?  I already have a vpn but I am not entirely sure if just using a different server is the same as encryption.

If you mean you already have a consumer VPN that serves the purpose of encrypting your web traffic, than connecting to any server will do just that. I mentioned VPN use, but as you just said, just deleting the wifi connection from your history should be enough, re-installing the adapter is an extra step if it still fails to connect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users