Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with new Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jake4cy11

Jake4cy11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

Definitely wouldn't consider myself too knowledgeable on computers at all, just enjoy gaming and wanted to get into some pc games, so might come off as dumb when describing the issues I'm having haha.

Built my new pc last weekend, got Windows 10 installed and updated and then updated all of the drivers for my components and downloaded H1Z1 and CSGO. I opened CSGO and it worked fine until I got into a game and the screen was very glitchy and scattery. Next I tried H1Z1 and it right after trying to start up it constantly gives me "The Exception Breakpoint" error and shuts down. I downloaded Heroes of the Storm as well just to see if I would have problems with that as well and it kept closing out on startup. Occasionally the screen turns black and flickers just very briefly and it is rare but that makes me think that it is definitely the GPU (but then again don't know much about computers). I have tried reconnecting the GPU and some of the power connections, reinstalled Windows and all of the drivers and the games, and still same issues. Everything else works fine like internet and all other apps. Any ideas on what the problem could be or possibly just a bad GPU?

System build:

Case: NZXT S340

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz

GPU: ASUS ROG Radeon RX 480 STRIX-RX480-8G-GAMING 8GB 

MOBO: MSI Intel B150M Bazooka

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM

Storage: CRUCIAL CT525MX300SSD1 525GB MX300 SATA 2.5 SSD

Power Source: Thermaltake Smart Series 600W SLI 

Monitor: Samsung 27" Curved LED Monitor - C27F591

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

Hello Jake.
From what I can see I would like to ask, did you have a computer before this one or possibly used a different computer? If so, were the issues there?

It's possible for a GPU to not be compatible with the parts it is put together with, did you build the computer yourself, or did a company / acquaintance build it for you?

If your monitor is new, it is also possible you have a defective monitor.

Be sure your drivers are up to date, and when you installed your new graphics card, did you uninstall the previous driver and install the new one before inserting the new card? Drivers installed for cards should be up to date and using the correct version, otherwise it can cause complications.

One more note, do these problems persist when you change the resolution size of the game? (e.g. switching from full screen to 1920x1080 windowed)

Best of luck, I'll be in touch.

Edited by fluxxi, 04 March 2017 - 12:40 AM.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#3 Jake4cy11

Jake4cy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

I built the computer myself with a couple friends who had built them before and this is the first time I've built my own computer. I checked before ordering all the parts and from what I could tell they were all compatible with each other. 

The monitor is new but it was working fine when I had it plugged into my lap top prior to building my new one. I didn't play any games on it but there was no flickering or screen turning black at all and seemed to work great.

Regarding the GPU, I connected everything and got it up and running and then went in and updated the drivers using the radeon software. 

The problems still occur when changing resolution of the game as well. Thanks for the help!

#4 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

When you put your GPU into your computer, did you make sure to connect all the power plugs into the GPU appropriately? Some graphic cards require 1 plug to the power supply, others take 2. More than often the graphic cards that require 2 power connections are higher-end because they need that power, I don't believe this would apply to yours but you should check to make sure.

Did these issues start occurring immediately after building the pc, or did they come randomly? If you can narrow it down to a time frame when it started happening that can be a huge help, because it would help locate the underlying issue.

Have you also checked that the monitor you are using is using the correct plug? Some monitors require an HDMI connection, while other rely on VGA or others. Another thing you can try is navigating your monitor menu using the buttons on the bottom, and factory resetting the settings. I suggest using google to help with that if you aren't familiar with the navigation menu of the monitor.

I had a monitor flickering issue long ago, and have since fixed it, I believed it was a defective monitor, but after getting a replacement it ended up being an issue on my end, and I managed to fix it, however I cannot remember what I did, if it comes to me I will let you know. Talk to you soon.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#5 Jake4cy11

Jake4cy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Yeah it is plugged in correctly. The issues started right when I downloaded those games for the first time (I just built it this past weekend). It works fine for doing normal stuff like internet and other simple apps but doesn't run any games. Yeah my monitor uses an HDMI and is connected appropriately as well.

#6 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

By you saying your last response I would assume your issues are in regard to your hard drive. Do you use more than 1 hard drive? If so, is the directory of the games on your main C: drive with the games on the other? If your issues are only in games then this narrows down your problem to something very fixable. Any issues that you have with video playing or other things that are not game-related?

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

A lot of GPU problems involving games are due to...I don't know. But the fix is usually this:

Download the latest Nvidia Drivers or AMD Drivers or whatever driver version you consider "good".

Then, download this: Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller - Link is towards the top this is a GPU driver cleaner, it will definitely remove your GPU drivers, unlike official uninstallers. Note: There are some deceptive ads on the forum page.

• Run Wagnard's DDU - it may create a number of files in the same directory, like a .zip file, so you may have to run it in its own folder
  • Run the application, "DDU.exe" I believe is the name
  • Select the "best option", Safe Mode and Reboot
  • After the computer reboots to safe mode, run DDU if it does not open automatically
  • Choose the "best option", clean install and reboot I think it is called
  • After restarting install the driver you downloaded first
  • Restart if prompted

#8 Neil_Hines

Neil_Hines

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

Which PC is the best for Gaming? I want to buy new PC for playing latest games but I'm confused which PC I buy and play all the latest game without any problems? Anyone give me suggestion which PC I buy for Gaming?

#9 Bish0p

Bish0p

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

Which PC is the best for Gaming? I want to buy new PC for playing latest games but I'm confused which PC I buy and play all the latest game without any problems? Anyone give me suggestion which PC I buy for Gaming?

It's called "Don't hijack someone elses thread, make your own"  That being said... Anything with an i 7700k cpu and a gtx1080 gpu, is a beast.

Seems like the OP's GPU is crapping out..If you modded it, you know why..lol.

Everything you are saying, points to GPU failure imo. I'd RMA (return) it.

The things stated previously are what I would of done. If that didn't fix it.. Faulty GPU imo..

You did obviously make sure the PSU, could handle that GPU correct?

All additional power cables are plugged into the GPU?

Example: https://i.imgur.com/7GRoNic.jpg    (cables on the right, do you have those and do you need them for your gpu?)

If your GPU needs more power and you did not connect that +2 pin, you may be crapping out due to low power.

Edited by Bish0p, 31 March 2017 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users