Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaking.com on Win7 Toshiba laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hello,

Is Tweaking.com - Windows Repair an ideal program to run on my Windows7.1 that is only having a few "minor" problems ??

I would like to use this as a "semi-regular check up since there are few others that I can run these days.

Nothing serious, but I would like to run this program, as I have seen you recommend it at times.

If so, is there a routine for running the list, or do I just hit "Go" and hope it covers my minor problems.

Thank You..

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2017 - 10:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

I use registry backup quite often; I selectively, carefully, use Windows Repair (All in One) -- picking specific things to fix.  There are some options, some choices, in that swiss-army program, that can have unintended consequences.  I cannot really give you any particulars until I know just what is it you are wanting to accomplish.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 March 2017 - 07:00 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

@ Aura and Roland, I said

that is only having a few "minor" problems

and asked

If so, is there a routine for running the list

I have seen it used, and I wish to use it with a bit if guidance.

Thank You

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

You're correct, WR(AiO) can be run routinely for minor fixes.  I was asking for specifics because a few tweaking options can have unintended consequences.  However, if you're staying with the "click-this/click that" repair function, you should be aok, especially if you make routine WR registry backups and WR SRPs. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thank you RolandJS

Having noticed you on "TSG" forum, I thouht you may have an open mind on these programs.

The program was not meant to replace Combo Fix or any similar program, but as it includes sfc /scannow and disk check I found it a good way of keeping a 6monthly check on my system.

Most Win7.1 systems are aging, and I feel they do require checks at times, and with my Malwarebytes Pro and Antivirus both running daily scans it was not infections, merely aging that I wished to keep a decent check on.

As I do mot trust most snake oil programs, I can only go back to my first question

is there a routine for running the list, or do I just hit "Go" and hope it covers my minor problems.

The minor problems are not infections, but just what I believe are small operating "glitches" at times.

Regards.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

I think I get your drift Jaycan......

By running Windows Repair on your win 7 you are in fact seeking to keep it as pristine condition as possible. By doing this you are attempting to extend its life for as long as is possible.

So, providing the database at Tweaking remains clean, (there is no reason why it wouldn't), plus the presence of mbam+,  ....you would therefore have the best chance of attaining your goal.

Many more win 7 enthusiasts  would do well to follow your example.

Personally, I would adopt the "hit go" approach.....but I would be sure to have a good backup before I proceeded. Ideally on an external hard drive. Something like a clone via macrium reflect. (Just to safe and sure)

Dare I say it.....eventually win 7 will go the way of win xp......maybe a disaster zone, maybe not. Depends on the reasons you have for keeping it going. Sentimental or practical. Either way I hope for the time being it works like the dream it has always been. But....when/If you are faced with putting it down........Linux. You will be in heaven once again. Why?...cause it works out of the box.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

@ Condobloke, I do like the way that you put things.

..when/If you are faced with putting it down........Linux.

I am always looking at it, but I believe you still need Disk Check and (sfc /scannow while windows7 runs).

The Tweaking program (download @ M/Geeks) has been updated so I think they are up to date.

I will read their script (including full power drain) then run it in the updated version.

You would be hot or wet at the moment, or a bit of both, so keep on with your good work..

Thanks and Regards -

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Jaycan, I have never set up WR as a routine maintenance, would you mind letting me know how you did it, after you find out how?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Dare I say it.....eventually win 7 will go the way of win xp

The end of extended support for Windows 7 is scheduled for January 14, 2020.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

Sorry dc3   RolandJS  and Condobloke

I did read your answers and additions but I never got back to you with a reply.

I have run Windows Repair and included Defrag, disk cleanup, sfc /scannow, then a disc check /r  with no problems found so far.

This was followed by creating a full backup of the current system to a DVD even though I do have a set of genuine reinstall DVD's.

Thanks to all for advice.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

All good Jaycan.....you are more than Welcome !!

How is the snow/sleet/rain treating you in your part of the world ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Windows Repair All In One is designed as a repair tool of last resort before doing a clean install of an operating system.

Normal maintenance procedures would include tools such as Disk Cleanup, Defrag, chkdsk, regular AV/AM scans, Windows Update, updating programs, uninstalling programs that are not used, frequent full disk image backups, daily backups of volatile (personal) data, etc.

Windows Repair can be used anytime, but it does not cover all  aspects of best practices for computer maintencance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users