Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dissimilar hard drive/full back up restore help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lunloo

lunloo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

I have 3 hard drives that were partitioned/raid set up, and I did a full pc back up while they were in tact. After trying everything, I handed my computer over to my dad to try and fix my slow responsiveness and he ended up erasing all partition/raids and all files as a last resort because nothing else was fixing it.

So now my computer issue is fixed, and I want to restore my full pc back up from my Acronis cloud storage. With the raid/partition gone, how can I go about this since it is no longer "identical"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

First, you can create new partitions using your Windows disk. If you don't have a Windows disk, I'd suggest restoring the image to your drive and then creating whatever partitions you want from within disk management (or 3rd party software if you prefer) . Truthfully, I don't know a lot about raid setups (I always use multiplel hd's without mirroring), but I'm thinking this should accomplish what you want.

#3 lunloo

lunloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

I would actually be fine keeping them separate without raids or partitions because I know nothing about either. My concern is more based on if my backup with existing raids and partitions will work on disks that do not reflect those same set ups (since they are now wiped clean)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Go ahead and restore it. The only problem would be if there wasn't enough room, not if there's too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users