Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

1: Should I mirror my Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium install or create an image of current 1TB 7200 RPM Hitachi HDD (55.7GB used), to the 250GB Samsung 850 EVO I plan to buy soon?

2: Is it true that in order to image a 1TB HDD, the other storage device must be of the same capacity even though not all 1TB is used?

3: Since I plan to reuse that SSD in a new build in a couple months with a SATA III cable, will that same cable work with my current motherboard's SATA II ports?

4: What reputable S.M.A.R.T software can I used to check the health & estimated life remaining of my current HDD?

5: My PSU is a TurboLink ATX-TL 500W-BK 12V, is it risky installing a new SSD in a system with that cheap of a PSU who's warranty is expired?

Other system specs: Athlon X2 260, Radeon HD 6450, 4GB DDR3.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

1. Depending on which imaging/cloning software you use, even if said application demands the source be equal or smaller, you can always shrink the partition within WIndows disk Management just prior to moving to an SSD

2. See above (depends on software used, but, largely irrelevant, as long as you are not trying to cram 251 GB of used space into a 250 GB SSD. Delete all your junk and rarely used stuff ahead of time, so that your SSD is reserved for WIndows and frequnetly used applications. (Worst case, gather your product key, and consider a fresh reinstall for max performance)

3. SATA cables (II vs III) no issues...

4. No software can truly give an accurate 'you have 5 months of good health left on this drive'; as long as GSMRTCONTROL is saying there are no errors, and a 2 min quick test passes, you may use it free of worry until it crashes 1,2, or 10 years down the road.

5. An SSD uses only about 2-4 watts of power; no issues regardless of power supply used.

An EVO is a fast drive, enjoy!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

4. As MDD1963 said, it's not feasible with non-SSD drives to give an estimated life remaining. The official test utility for Hitachi drives is WinDFT:

https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support/downloads

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

1. Depending on which imaging/cloning software you use, even if said application demands the source be equal or smaller, you can always shrink the partition within WIndows disk Management just prior to moving to an SSD

2. See above (depends on software used, but, largely irrelevant, as long as you are not trying to cram 251 GB of used space into a 250 GB SSD. Delete all your junk and rarely used stuff ahead of time, so that your SSD is reserved for WIndows and frequnetly used applications. (Worst case, gather your product key, and consider a fresh reinstall for max performance)

3. SATA cables (II vs III) no issues...

4. No software can truly give an accurate 'you have 5 months of good health left on this drive'; as long as GSMRTCONTROL is saying there are no errors, and a 2 min quick test passes, you may use it free of worry until it crashes 1,2, or 10 years down the road.

5. An SSD uses only about 2-4 watts of power; no issues regardless of power supply used.

An EVO is a fast drive, enjoy!

Thank you so much &'ll probably buy it very soon if it goes on sale again.My Hitachi HDD is over 5 years old so I doubt it could last more than 2 additional years from what I've read regarding average lifespans.

4. As MDD1963 said, it's not feasible with non-SSD drives to give an estimated life remaining. The official test utility for Hitachi drives is WinDFT:

https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support/downloads

Thank you too, I was going to use SeaTools but I've already done a quick test using that before & all was fine. I'll give Hitachi's test a try & see if the results are the same.

*Edit: Scratch WinDFT I guess, just read in the user guide for it that it's not designed to run on my primary operating drive. So if I do any test at all again it'll just have to be SeaTools.

Edited by Mike_Soda, 04 March 2017 - 12:30 PM.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

The long/generic test on SeaTools will do the job.

Also...there are other reliable hard drive diagnostic tools...but I would go with SeaTools as there are only 3 hard drive manufacturers today and Seagate is the only manufacturer stating that its tools can be used reliably with drives manufactured by someone other than Seagate.

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

just read in the user guide for it that it's not designed to run on my primary operating drive

I'd never noticed that! Not having a Hitachi drive myself, I've only ever used it to test drives on a USB adapter. Otherwise, I also use SeaTools.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

I really don't care what a test shows on a 5 year old hard drive I would be real careful and backup often as it can go at any time and the stress of a new install could easily be the catalyst when as a secondary drive it could last a lot longer.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

Age...is no indication of a hard drive's functional status.  This can be attested to by all those who have experienced hard drive failure on new drives (DOA) or drives made "recently".

Hard drive diagnostics and SMART monitoring are the only tools which I know of...that can provide a semi-reliable assessment of functional status.

Louis

#9 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

Interesting but I have never personally found any of those tests to mean much of anything and I won't use a drive over 5 years old, but that is me.

#10 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

I really don't care what a test shows on a 5 year old hard drive I would be real careful and backup often as it can go at any time and the stress of a new install could easily be the catalyst when as a secondary drive it could last a lot longer.

It's not making any clicking noises & the quick test I ran a few weeks ago reported nothing was wrong. Should I get that 250 GB 850 EVO ASAP though & mirror this OS to there so that my HDD only ever get's used when I re-mirror another copy once a week/month?

P.S: I do have the Windows Install disc but it's an OEM copy so I still worry Microsoft may put me through a hassle trying to install Windows on a new drive if it's still "active" on another that died.

*EDIT: I just looked at my Newegg invoice & I got this PC 7/21/2011, so it's been running for 8-16 hours a day for 4 years & a few months.

2nd EDIT: My bad I for some reason thought it was still 2016, so my HDD is 5 years & 8 months old.

The long/generic test on SeaTools will do the job.

Also...there are other reliable hard drive diagnostic tools...but I would go with SeaTools as there are only 3 hard drive manufacturers today and Seagate is the only manufacturer stating that its tools can be used reliably with drives manufactured by someone other than Seagate.

Louis

I'll be doing it tomorrow, from what I've heard the long/generic test should only take 30 minutes but I'm just hoping it's under 12 hours.

Edited by Mike_Soda, 06 March 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#11 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Well that makes hard drive even older and the odds of it being useful for anything but perhaps holding files are very slim.

It is up to you. I always say if I had a half dollar for every drive a hard drive utility called "ok" I would not have to work!

Consider yourself lucky if you hear "the click of death" from a drive as that isn't the only indicator either.One thing that will tell you better I do sometimes is run "chkdsk /r" and see if it takes all day to complete. If its bad it won't complete and if it takes 6 hours for a 500 gb hard drive you can just bet it belongs in the trash!

#12 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

Well that makes hard drive even older and the odds of it being useful for anything but perhaps holding files are very slim.

It is up to you. I always say if I had a half dollar for every drive a hard drive utility called "ok" I would not have to work!

Consider yourself lucky if you hear "the click of death" from a drive as that isn't the only indicator either.One thing that will tell you better I do sometimes is run "chkdsk /r" and see if it takes all day to complete. If its bad it won't complete and if it takes 6 hours for a 500 gb hard drive you can just bet it belongs in the trash!

I'll order the 250GB 850 EVO right now & then run Seatools long/generic. The only strange behavior my PC's been exhibiting is occasional mouse lag when gaming. Although that's been an off/on occurrence since almost day 1 & I sooner blame my weak GPU or CPU for that.

#13 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Okay so I managed to order the 850 EVO, since my HDD is so old do you think I should wait until I have the SSD installed before running the long/generic SeaTools test or is there no chance that'll shorten it's life?

Edited by Mike_Soda, 06 March 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#14 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

I don't see where the test would shorten the life of the drive go ahead, it is just a test. But as I said before I wouldn't bother with a test it is too old to trust as other than a secondary drive anyway so tpo me the test is superfluous. Samsung Evo 850 are the best!

Edited by mylanta406, 06 March 2017 - 03:38 PM.

#15 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

I don't see where the test would shorten the life of the drive go ahead, it is just a test. But as I said before I wouldn't bother with a test it is too old to trust as other than a secondary drive anyway so tpo me the test is superfluous. Samsung Evo 850 are the best!

It passed the long/generic SeaTools test, took about an hour & 30 minutes to complete. Oddly the Sata 3 cable sold by CableMod through Newegg is taking forever to process. Hopefully I'll have both the cable & SSD in about a week at the most though. Could get a cheap quality one from Best Buy or Walmart but they cost the same as a braided version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users