Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

white screen on Mac pro "Help Please"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eveie

Eveie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

I have a white screen on my Mac Pro on start up..starts to load and shuts off and back the after apple logo it goes to a white screen, I have and tried starting in safe mode and it will not let me does the same thing ...Need help please

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:35 AM

Which model of Mac Pro is it (i.e. what year)? The new "trash can" style or "cheese grader" (aka huge silver tower with the perforated screen front)?

What version of the macOS is it running? 10.7 or newer?

My best suggested thing to try is to try booting from some other "source". The questions above are to help what other sources you might have available to you.

For example, if it is a "trash can" or one of the "cheese grader" models that shipped with macOS 10.7 (aka Lion) or a "cheese grader" model that shipped with 10.6.x just before 10.7 was released but now has a newer OS on it and could have the firmware updated to allow for Internet recovery mode, then it should have Internet recovery mode as well as a recovery partition on the hard drive. If so, then you can try booting with Command-R. If the recovery partition boots (much quicker than Internet recovery mode), then it is likely something software related such as the OS being corrupted, etc. If the Internet recovery boots, then it is likely something drive related. If neither boots, then it might be some other hardware issue. Alternatively, if you have bootable external drive, then you could try booting from it. If it boots from that, then it is likely an OS or drive issue. This could include booting from a bootable optical disc (assuming it is a model with an optical drive or if a "trash can" model, you have an external optical drive).

If it is an older "cheese grader" model that does not have Internet recovery mode but has been updated to 10.7 or newer, it should still have the recovery partition. Like above, if you hold down Command-R, it should still boot to the recovery partition unless there is some overall hardware issue or drive issue. And like above, you could try booting from an external bootable drive or a bootable optical disc (i.e. say the recovery disc that came with the Mac Pro).

If it is an older "cheese grader" model that is still running 10.6.x or older, then you would only be able to try booting from an external drive or bootable optical disc (i.e. the recovery/OS install disc that came with the Mac Pro).

The other overall option that is along the lines of the all the above is to try the Apple Hardware Test. If it is a newer model, then you can boot to it by holding down the "D" key upon powering up the Mac. If it is an older Mac, then you might have to use one of the optical discs that came with the Mac Pro. See more below:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257
http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/25/how-to-use-apple-hardware-test-to-diagnose-mac-problems/

#3 Eveie

Eveie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Thank You Very much for your help.. My computer Model is a MacBookPro 8,3 I ran the The Apple Hardware Test by using the Option d..The test results were No Trouble Found..But unfortunately its still doing the same thing can not do a recovery mode or safe .. I appreciate your help..I will keep trying, Ty

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

That is different that a Mac Pro, so my descriptions obviously do not apply.

You did not mention whether it is an "Early 2011" or "Late 2011" 17" MacBook Pro. The MacBookPro8,3 designation applies to both but the shipped with different versions of the OS.

The "Late 2011" model shipped with Lion (specifically 10.7.2), which means that it should have Internet Recovery in addition to the recovery partition on the drive. So, if it is a drive issue, then it should still at least boot to the Internet Recovery option when holding down the Command-R and the hard drive recovery partition is not available or working...or you can for the Internet Recovery option with Option-Command-R. So, if you have this model, the Internet Recovery option should still work, unless it is some overall issue with the computer hardware itself, not just the hard drive or OS.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

The "Early 2011" model shipped with Snow Leopard (specifically 10.6.6), which would not have had a recovery partition nor had Internet Recovery to begin with. It would have shipped with restore/recovery optical disc(s) or maybe a restore/recovery USB drive (not sure what Apple was doing with MacBook Pros that did still have an optical drive...my 2010 MacBook Air shipped with a USB drive at a minimum because it did not have an built-in optical drive...but Apple may have just totally switched to USB drives for all Macs, even though with built-in optical drives). If you then updated to 10.7.x or an even newer version of the macOS, then it would have installed a recovery partition. And Apple did release a firmware update that added Internet Recovery support to all "Early 2011" MacBook Pro models. So, if you applied that firmware update to your MacBook Pro, then it too would have Internet Recovery and the above instructions for getting into Internet Recovery for the "Late 2011" model would also apply to this model.

So, if you cannot get Internet Recovery to work, then that likely suggests it is some bigger hardware issue with the MacBook Pro. If so, then your best bet might be to take it to either an Apple Store if you have one near you or an Apple Authorized Repair shop...or if you don't mind the potential risk, a non-authorized Apple repair shop. I don't know if an Apple Store will help with a MBP that old. When my 2010 17" MBP appeared to die, the Apple Tech had to get special permission just to test it and I don't believe they would have repaired it...I would have to have bought a new motherboard myself (decided it was not worth it...had actually already got a newer MBP anyway, although I did still like the 17" matte finish screen way better than the stupid glossy screens they now use).

If you can get Internet Recovery to work, then it likely means an issue with your drive or OS. You could try reinstalling the OS and see if the problem goes away. Or you could just do to replacing the drive then reinstalling the OS. Replacing a drive on a Unibody (which is what that model is) 17" MBP is not that hard. I upgraded my drive on my 2010 17" many times before it died on me.

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:48 AM

How to Fix a White Screen on Boot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users