Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice sought on upgrading graphics card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bernieraffe

bernieraffe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Now that I'm editing 4k videos, rather than HD videos which I've previously edited, I'm finding my PC is struggling a bit to cope. It's stuttering quite badly while previewing my 4k clips.

The Windows i7 PC I have is 4 or 5 years old, quad core, 16gb RAM, plenty of storage, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series graphics card. It was a pre-built MESH PC, purchased a couple of months before they went bust! I'm hoping that upgrading to a more powerful graphics card will solve the problem.

This card seems to be a good option:-

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 

but I have no idea if it's compatible with my PC (doh! I know, but I'm useless with hardware), or whether there are better options 

Thanks for any help, I've attached some screenshots showing my PC specs.

Capture01.jpg

Capture02.jpg

Capture03.jpg

Edited by bernieraffe, 03 March 2017 - 11:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

It should be but I'd go for a RX 480 8GB. They're cheaper, have 2GB more VRAM but only are 4% slower http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-480/3639vs3634.

AMD cards tend to age better as they continue to be supported in driver updates. Nvidia doesn't do this unfortunately. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users