Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Lenovo Service Bridge?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hikermann

Hikermann

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

What is Lenovo Service Bridge and why do the automatic "download update" or whatever they are seem to be happening rather frequently?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

I can't say why the program is updating frequently but as far as what it does check the below link.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Lenovo-Service-Bridge-LSB/ta-p/2116059

#3 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the response.  My initial question is what I'm attempting to clarify:  Some www.comments claim LSB does this or that wonderful thing for my computer while others strongly recommend uninstalling it . . . so how does one determine what is true?  Since none of the other programs installed in my computer do updates as frequently as this LSB, it causes me to suspect it may not be a fully trustworthy process taking place.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

From the description it's used by Lenovo's technical support to retrieve your serial number and model type. It's probably uploading some things to Lenovo and also runs in the background to check for updates. If the only info it retrieves is the model and serial number you can delete it if you have no intention of calling Lenovo for support. 

#5 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

Thanks!

#6 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

ROUND II:

PC / Windows 7:  
1.  Wondered why automatic "download update" or whatever they are messages seemed to be appearing rather frequently;
2.  Asked on a couple of on-line forums; was told that ""Lenovo Service Bridge (LSB.exe) is a Windows program that will automatically detect your Lenovo computer's serial number, machine type and model. It then passes this information to our website so that we can better assist you with your support needs."
3.  So?  I do not have a "Lenovo computer"!  Why is this program on my PC attempting to gather information to "better assist [me] with . . . support needs" I have not known I had??
4.  So, since on-line info from different sources was inconclusive about whether the LSB.exe business was necessary, I uninstalled it and deleted any "Lenovo" listings found in regedit.
5.  Then this morning, when booting up the PC, I'm presented with:
ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Users\NE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Lenovo\Lenovo Service Bridge.appref-ms resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Could not find file 'C:\Users\NE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Lenovo\Lenovo Service Bridge.appref-ms'.
6.  Canceled the message popup and cannot see that this supposed error has any effect on operation.
7.  So:  if this supposed "service bridge" is so all-critical to happy operation of MS's Windows 7, why is there no confirmation of that anywhere? and why do supposed people-in-the-know recommend uninstalling the program (makes sense to me since I have never had any known "support need" regarding it)? and why does the ERROR MESSAGE now claim that removal of LSB is A Great Problem?

Any response direct to the issue stated here will be appreciated!  Thanks.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

OEMs (HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc.) typically install a number of items on the systems they build/sell...that have nothing at all to do with the running of Windows.

Many ttypically refer to this as "bloatware" and expect it to be installed on any OEM system.  The usefulness and desire for such...well, you'd have to ask those questions at the respective OEM user forum.

In your case, that means a Lenovo-user forum.

Louis

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

If you do not have a Lenovo I have no idea on why you have this software. What is the make and model of the computer? Did the error on file not found happen after uninstalling Lenovo Service Bridge?

The next time you get a notice on automatic update please post a screenshot using the snipping tool of Windows 7.

#9 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Thanks:  Did Uninstall via Control Panel, as well as ReasonCore Security program; rebooted and the "Cannot Start Application" dialog still shows up; details tab = the following:

=====================================================

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows             : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.42000
    System.Deployment.dll         : 4.6.1087.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    clr.dll             : 4.6.1087.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    dfdll.dll             : 4.6.1087.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    dfshim.dll             : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
    Deployment url            : file:///C:/Users/NE/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start%20Menu/Programs/Lenovo/Lenovo%20Service%20Bridge.appref-ms

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Users\NE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Lenovo\Lenovo Service Bridge.appref-ms resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Could not find file 'C:\Users\NE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Lenovo\Lenovo Service Bridge.appref-ms'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [3/5/2017 12:44:55 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\NE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Lenovo\Lenovo Service Bridge.appref-ms has started.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [3/5/2017 12:44:56 PM] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
        - Could not find file 'C:\Users\NE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Lenovo\Lenovo Service Bridge.appref-ms'.
        - Source: mscorlib
        - Stack trace:
            at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
            at System.IO.FileInfo.get_Length()
            at System.Deployment.Application.ShellExposure.ParseAppShortcut(String shortcutFile, DefinitionIdentity& subId, Uri& providerUri)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

=====================================================

Again, thanks for any help! Appreciated.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Download AutoRuns and search for anything Lenovo. Do not delete anything. What was found? What is the make and model of the computer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

#11 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

AutoRun:  No "Lenovo" found

PC:  Cascade AMD Desktop System A4-5300, 4GB, 500GB
        AMD A4-5300 3.40GHz
        4GB DDR3-1600
        500GB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
        Windows 7 Home Premium
        Radeon HD 7480D Graphics

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

I am not sure how else to proceed. I would think Lenovo would be listed in AutoRuns as the error opens when Windows starts, correct?  Is there any listing for Service Bridge under any of the tabs.

Are there any Lenovo entries under All Programs > Startup

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#14 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

Yo -

Futzed around with AutoRun for a bit, and it seems to have "ferreted out" the offending item(s) -- no more messages when I boot up now.  So, thanks to each!

Now y'all can take the rest of the week off . . .

Again, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users