Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file missing for latest skype version

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:55 AM

The latest skype version will not run on my laptop. The message is is that a file is missing.  The missing file is api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll  (I cannot tell what exactly the character before the first 1 is.)

The earlier version runs, however, but if I run the earlier version, skype will interrupt it and shut it down and force installation of the latest version, which will not run.

Obviously the latest version needs the file but the earlier version does not, so I wonder why the file is not included in the download, which I have made more than once.

Any suggestions welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Same happened to my friend using Windows 7. I uninstalled Skype from control panel without touching anything (I mean, I didn't delete left overs etc.). Visited Skype download page and installed the latest version using online installer. The problem went away. (Temporary disable your antivirus before downloading and installing, just to be sure!)

Edited by devilus, 03 March 2017 - 09:01 AM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Same happened to my friend using Windows 7. I uninstalled Skype from control panel without touching anything (I mean, I didn't delete left overs etc.). Visited Skype download page and installed the latest version using online installer. The problem went away. (Temporary disable your antivirus before downloading and installing, just to be sure!)

Thanks for your reply.

I use Revo Uninstaller normally to uninstall skype. I uninstall it after every sessions because I do not like getting automatic updates whenever Microsoft feels like it.

Then I reinstall it when I need to use it.

I will try your method.

#4 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

I personally don't use Skype on my systems. But I think you could disable automatic updates. Uninstalling every time after using it? Not clever!
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12096/how-do-i-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-skype-for-windows-desktop

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

The latest skype version will not run on my laptop. The message is is that a file is missing.  The missing file is api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll  (I cannot tell what exactly the character before the first 1 is.)

api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll - It is an application extension file.

It is used only for the following browsers:
  • Firefox
  • Cyberfox
  • Waterfox
Maybe some more on Firefox based browsers, which I can not at the moment check.
Skype does not use this file.

#6 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:42 AM

There is a long thread in Skype Community regarding this issue. People say it could be related to Microsoft Visual C++.

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll-error-when-updating-to-Skype-7/td-p/4611539

(By the way, I just installed Skype 7.30 on my old XP SP3 system to check it out. No noticeable problems yet. There are only some old versions of C++ 2005 and C++ 2008 already installed on my XP.)

Selective boot (F12):

#7 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

There is a long thread in Skype Community regarding this issue. People say it could be related to Microsoft Visual C++.

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll-error-when-updating-to-Skype-7/td-p/4611539

(By the way, I just installed Skype 7.30 on my old XP SP3 system to check it out. No noticeable problems yet. There are only some old versions of C++ 2005 and C++ 2008 already installed on my XP.)

Thanks to everyone for these replies. It is odd that ms does not automatically include this in a program (skype) that ms owns.

Ms might be forcing people get automatic updates to Windows in order to use skype, but that is exactly what I do not want to do, and I have win updates disabled.

The only reason I use skype (instead of Discord for example) is because so many other people use it.

I have downloaded the two possible C++ updates that are referenced and I have installed the x86 version altho my machine is 64 bit. I will see if that works. If not I will use the 64 bit version.

#8 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll - It is an application extension file.

It is used only for the following browsers:
  • Firefox
  • Cyberfox
  • Waterfox
Maybe some more on Firefox based browsers, which I can not at the moment check.
Skype does not use this file.

The message is that the new skype version cannot run because of the lack of this file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users