Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One of three hard drives whining, enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03639067-12

Rig above, swapped in 2-3tb Toshiba internal hard drives, an r9 380x gpu, Asrock H170m mobo, G Skill 16gb ddr4 ram, i5 6600 cpu.

I upgraded my psu with https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Now, before I upgraded psu today, the old one, a Corsair x600 psu, was emitting a coil whine. I narrowed it down, and I realized it only happened when my year old 3tb Toshiba is booted up. I set my power options to turn off hard disks when they are idle for a few minutes. Every time, when the Toshiba was booted, the coil whine started up in earnest.

So I upgraded psu today, and still, the same problem. What could be the problem? Could the voltage be uneven or something?

Please help me, it's quite annoying.
Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.
pc above, swapped in 2-3tb Toshiba internal hard drives, an r9 380x gpu, Asrock H170m mobo, G Skill 16gb ddr4 ram, i5 6600 cpu.

Ok, I've been hearing whining coming from inside my rig. It's a really high pitched whining noise. I thought it was the psu, replaced it, and it was still there. I isolated it down to one of my 3 tb toshiba hard drives. I have the stock metal hard drive enclosure that came with the console. It contained both 3tb drives, and the 1.5 tb seagate one was in the expansion port one. I assumed it was these two bigger drives vibrating at the same frequency or something. I put the OS containing 3tb one into the expansion slot, switched the noise making one into the other slot on the enclosure, and put the 1.5 seagate in with it.

Now, I took the 3tb one out of the enclosure, and I could not hear the noise. Only when it is in the enclosure do I hear the noise.

So, I lined the enclosure where the drive was touching metal, along with all the edges of the enclosure with electrical tape to dampen the noise. No luck. Still the whining.

So, would a new enclosure maybe remedy this problem? I've done a whole slew of tests on all my drives this week, and nothing is wrong with any of them, no bad sectors, no unreadable sectors, nothing. This noise is kind of annoying, and I would really appreciated help with what I would do.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2017 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

Just out of curiosity are the two Toshiba drives same models bought at the same time? I have had issues with Toshiba drives making an inordinate amount of noise in new builds including whining at times and as a result I don't use them any more.

#4 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

Just out of curiosity are the two Toshiba drives same models bought at the same time? I have had issues with Toshiba drives making an inordinate amount of noise in new builds including whining at times and as a result I don't use them any more.

I bought them maybe 6 months apart, but yes, they are the same model.

I narrowed it down, the hard drive is whining regardless of being in the enclosure within the case or not. I think I'll just buy a 9- dollar Seagate one of the same size, and get a sata to usb hdd enclosure and use the whining one like an external drive.

#5 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Works for me.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Some time ago, I had Maxtor HDs, which were at that time noisier than most other HDs.  For some reason, some are louder than others.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Learn to embrace the sound of the same whining sound, ever comforting, vs. the sound of that whine instead interrpseresed with screeching and grinding fragments and sand-like substance!  :bananas:

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users