Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cooling for an overclocked rig

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dragonfly522

dragonfly522

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

Hi; I have a micro-ATX mobo and my CPU is an AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz processor.   I'm looking to buy a cooler for this build in which I can achieve a substantial overclock.  Is it feasible?  I just want a fan/heatsink cooler.  I'm not looking to go water-cooled.  My CPU is a 95W.  My PSU is 650W.   Upon attempting to overclock, Prime95 quickly raises the CPU temperature up past 65C on a mere raise of 200Mhz.  Can you suggest a good cooler?  I'm prepared to spend at least $60-85.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2017 - 02:41 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardwre - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Besides and up grade for the CPU fan, using some cut to size pieces of 3X5 card to move the air smoothly through the case and channel to the areas needed most when OC any board, CPU and memory.

#3 dragonfly522

dragonfly522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

What should the card be made of?  Where do I put the card?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

From what I know, there is no single mATX board for AM3+ that are good for overclocking. So I don't recommend overclocking unless you are willing to take risk.

#5 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Water cooling is your best bet for cooling, despite you not wanting it, I recommend you at least consider it.
As for the overclocking goes, may I ask why you would be overclocking this rig? It seems as if it would hurt more than be beneficial.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#6 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

I don't know why everyone is trying to talk you out of it, this is inexpensive and would do a fine job:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103218

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users