Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed of Linux

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

I have noticed since beginning to use Kubuntu 14.04 in Sep 2015, "computing" is noticeably faster than when using Windows. Greatly appreciated is the quicker response of Google Chrome, my personal default browser. And opening / closing everyday files, images, etc. Especially anything having to do with tabs. Not being computer savvy in the least, I reckon there must be less "garbage" in the way interfering with processing speed. I eagerly await, in a lay person's terms, an explanation if there is one. :)

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

I will leave it to someone else to give you the 'technical' blurb.....suffice be it to say that ONE of the many reasons Linux etc features in my signature (see below) is the SPEED that you talk about.

When I first changed over, I had developed 'waiting' habits from my use of windows OS's....in other words I would click on a link etc and then I found I would look at something else while it was loading/changing/closing etc etc.....I soon discovered that I had no time to look at anything else...it was done and dusted !!....the link was 'linked/or whatever it was that i was doing was done !

....and while I am on a roll....the UPDATE process in Linux...STILL leaves me smiling....every time.

No 'your pc will now reboot'....fasten your seat belt caus we have no idea what the hell will happen next....in case of pc fatality call BC....not us !

I am chuffed to say the least.

Whats not to like ???

Edited by Condobloke, 02 March 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

I don't know. I booted a Linux Mint Cinnamon DVD on an old compaq laptop with an intel T4200 and it ran faster than Windows 7 on the HDD. Definitely seemed snappier.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 March 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

I don't know. I booted a Linux Mint Cinnamon DVD on an old compaq laptop with an intel T4200 and it ran faster than Windows 7 on the HDD. Definitely seemed snappier.

Try the same LiveCD/DVD image running instead from at least a USB 2.0 flash drive...

Wow!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

WIndows had been a code-bloated slow/resource hog ever since after WIndows 98 and WIn2k, IMO....

Things simply deteriorated faster after WinXP.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Thanks guys.

HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:05 AM

Response speed is usually down to how your OS (and the programs running on it) uses RAM, and for the most part a distro like Kubuntu uses less RAM than Windows 10, and so leaves more of it for your programs to run in.

This short article explains things better .... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-windows-ram/

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

Another thing to consider......most any Linux OS, unlike Windows XP & newer, isn't fighting for every morsel of resources available. :)

Which means that on a fast HDD, the Linux OS may run just as fast as Windows on a low grade (or older SATA-2) SSD. No matter the setup on the same hardware, Linux is going to get a lot more work done and in a shorter time span. Take startup for instance, many of us can have a usable browser in as little as 2-3 seconds after fully booted & logged in on modern hardware with a quality SSD, and even on older hardware (DDR era), still usually no longer than a minute after login. That's amazing in itself, Windows would take 4-5 minutes on these oldie goldies to have a usable browser. :)

Plus fragmentation that dogs Windows users, even those running SSD's, which slows everything, doesn't exist on Linux. We had a Discussion Topic on this issue a couple of years back, though have yet to see any of those speak out here as of yet, hopefully some will. This means that the Linux filesystem is vastly superior to that of Windows, all files are perfectly placed the first time. 

There's countless reasons why Linux is much faster than Windows, more than we can describe here. :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

I think I can give you some great reasons why windows can be so slow compared to linux.

Firstly if you got your computer from a store and bought say a HP, Dell, Lenovo or whatever a lot of computers come with bloatware from the manufacturer that can bog down your system.

Secondly if using say windows 7, windows 7 can be very heavy on hardware so it can make things slow.

Vista and 7 are both quite heavy sometimes.

Thirdly is kernel, linux itself is indeed just a kernel with other stuff tacked onto it from your distribution.

Windows is everything tied into the kernel so everything like your file manager and your desktop are all tied into the kernel.

So you know: a kernel is the core of your system and it is what binds your hardware and software together and the design and layout of windows and linux are drastically different.

The linux kernel is known to be light thus is why its popular with devices like the raspberry pi and can be found at the heart of android and chrome OS.

The size of the linux kernel is tiny compared to windows too, you would be surprised how small linux is in reality.

And lastly is the type of hard drive you use for it.

Yup this can be a factor, on a standard platter drive windows can and will run like a snail.

Now windows 8/8.1 and 10 are considerably faster than older versions of windows but they too can be slow in the wrong scenario.

Standard hard disk drives or HDD's can be a factor and trust me buying a solid state drive or SSD will make windows much faster.

While I am still not the biggest fan of SSD's due to space limitation and some prices for them are high they can be a valuable asset in speeding up your system.

For the first time for me I feel windows and linux are on par in terms of speed and feel, windows 10 feels a lot like I am using linux and thats a good thing.

Both are fast to boot and are fast in operation.

I also like to mention that it does pay off if you can build your own machine.

I dont own a HP, Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, Apple or any other main computer maker.

This is my own build.

I chose the hardware and I made sure I chose well for what I was able to budget.

I have a core i5 4460, 16GB of ram and to add that SSD and two standard platter drives.

No GPU (yet that is) and while I cannot overclock or match the power of high end gaming rigs i still can game somewhat at 1080p so me having the ability to build my own has helped me.

Not bragging mind you as I have a puny buiild compared to others but still when you can make your own hardware choices and make your own choices on what comes on your computer it makes a heck of a lot of difference.

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 March 2017 - 09:06 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

That's a lot of good info which I appreciate. Thanks.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

Just to add my two-penn'orth, if you want to see an example of Linux taken to the next level, take a look at Puppy Linux. The whole thing is tiny; 200-250 MBs, tops.....and the entire thing runs from RAM, which is by far the fastest part of any system. Even ancient DDR1 RAM is a match for early-to-middle-aged SSDs in terms of read/write speeds. 

You run Pup from a modern system (Core i5 or i7, 8-32 GB RAM, SATA-3 SSD) you only need to think about something happening....and Pup's already done it, and is romping away, half-way through the next task (which you may not have even thought about yet...!!)  :P

I have Pup running on a 14-yr old laptop with an ancient P4 CPU.....and it still gives modern versions of Windoze a run for their money.

I think a big part of it is due to the fact that Linux has always been known as the 'geek's' OS. And geeks are nothing if not intelligent. Linux is intelligently designed to make the best use possible of whatever your resources happen to be. Many Windoze boxes are definitely capable of so much more than the factory-installed OS will allow them to be.....

Seriously, Pup will scream on any halfway decent modern system.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 March 2017 - 09:04 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

I've only recently seen reference to Puppy here due to my infrequent visits (your gain). Is Puppy available "live" to install on a usb to take for a spin? Thanks.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hi, bamashooter.

Well, the accepted way to do it is to burn the ISO file to a LiveCD, then if you want to try her from a USB, simply install to USB from the 'Live' environment. Takes about 2 minutes, total. Seriously.

Even running from the LiveCD, you have just the same response times once Pup has loaded into RAM. I'm guessing you've got a 64-bit system, yes? Give Tahr64 6.05 a try. If you're a Chrome fan, I repackage Chrome into the SFS package format for the Puppy community. I'm currently 'beta-testing' Chrome 57. I'm posting from it now. Opens in around 3-5 seconds, tops. It's packaged using the .deb download from the Chrome downloads page.....but 'tweaked' a bit for Puppy.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/

Fourth entry up from the bottom; tahr64 6.0.5 iso

I think you'll quite like it. Tahr is based on the 'Trusty' Tahr binaries, and has access to the Ubuntu repos until April 2019. Up to you, of course.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 March 2017 - 12:15 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Thanks a bunch.

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

@cat1092:

Plus fragmentation that dogs Windows users, even those running SSD's, which slows everything, doesn't exist on Linux.

Bugger, I was going to say that, but I've just read this Topic for the first time.

Read-write operations are faster, at almost every level of cpu/ram resources.

That is why, even with old or modest Legacy equipment, we say "Breathe new life into your computer", with Linux.

Cheers all

:wizardball: Wizard

Edited by wizardfromoz, 05 March 2017 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users