Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Fan sounds like a B17 with engine trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sblev99

sblev99

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

The fan on my Logisys 480 watt power supply started making a lot of noise when i started up the computer today.  It's always been noisy.  In fact it's the noisiest power supply fan i've ever heard, but it was mostly air, i think.  

Anyway, i blew the dust out but it didn't help.  Can anyone suggest a quick fix while i get a new one?

Here's the info on my machine.  It was bought from MicroMagic as a custom build in 2014.

Windows 7 Pro

3.6 Mhz 64 bit dual CPU AMD A6-5400K APU

4 Gb RAM

Two internal hard drives, one 250 Gb and one 1,000 Gb.

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. F2A88X-D3H motherboard

Thank you

Edited by sblev99, 02 March 2017 - 06:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sblev99

sblev99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

BTW, how do i know the new PSU i buy will be compatible?  Are there any issues I need to be aware of besides the rating?  For instance, this PSU was installed on the FLOOR of the case, and upside down, at the factory. 

Thanks again

#3 sblev99

sblev99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

UPDATE:  I tapped a few times on top of the case and it quieted down.  Tapping on the SIDE of the case made the noise worse and more hectic.  Thoughts?

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Sounds like the fan blades are unbalanced, probably due to the fan being worn out. I think it is time to replace.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

Many of the cheaper PS units use sleeve bearing fans and opposed to ball bearing fans; these wear out and start to buzz, whine, shake, rattle & roll (that's '50s rock & roll slang). You can replace these fans relatively easy by powering down, unplug the wall socket cord, and press the power button to discharge the capacitors.

You can remove the PS, open it up - usually there are several screws that hold the outer case, and remove it. The fan usually plugs in to a small circuit board, just replace it with a new one. You can find them online at Newegg or Amazon, they are cheap. Measure the mounting hole distances to make sure the new one fits, and replace it.

Be careful what you touch, the PS has capacitors that hold a large charge a long time, but you really will not have to touch anything except the fan and plug. I have seen a couple where the fan wire is integrated into the power supply circuit board, just cut the wires and splice-in the new fan. Work time about one hour.  I have done if several times.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 sblev99

sblev99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

Thanks, ranchhand.  That's good news.  I was wondering what to do about that wire that goes into the harness.

On a related topic: I've tried adding fans to the computer case, but it hasn't worked.  When i plug the fans into the the motherboard, using the pins that say "fan 1"  or "fan 2" theyeither won't run, or they only run intermittently - starting and stopping - hesitating, etc.  Any advice on that?

Thanks again.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Don't connect your fans to the motherboard...connect them directly to the PSU.

Louis

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

IT sounds like you are attempting to use a dedicated fan socket on the mobo. Depends on the plug at at the end of the fan wire; if it is a white (usually), 4-pin plug then use one of the similar receiving plugs coming off the power supply. If it is a three-pole fan plug and small, use one of the accessory sockets on the mainboard. It's pretty hard to get it wrong, the wrong socket will not accept a different sized plug.

"Fan_1" usually is reserved for the CPU heatsink fan, unless your mobo labels it differently, such as "CPU_FAN" or some such. Sometimes you can get adapters to size-down or up, you can see examples on Amazon or Newegg.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Logisys is an inexpensive psu and I would not be considering replacing any fans and I know pressing the power button to release voltage was suggested but on the chance that doesn't do its job there is enough power in there to blow you through a wall so it is plainly not worth the risk. You get what you pay for and Logisys psus are fine for a few years without demanding use but then you move on imho! If you want to change a fan in a Seasonic Psu I might not have an issue with that as the quality is so much better but I still would pass on the opportunity, the risk just isn't worth it if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

#10 sblev99

sblev99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the info, mylanta.  I've decided I'm going to get a new PSU.  Just out of curiosity, is there a way to discharge those capacitors safely?  I occasionally work on electric guitar amplifiers and i know how to discharge the hazardous caps in those, so I'm aware of the danger.

Also, is it likely i can find a decent PSU for under $70.00?

#11 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

Sure:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users