Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer - Inkjet 0r Laser?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

My father uses an inkjet printer for a home business and he is going through ink cartridges like a kid through potato chips....

he prints on average about 50-60 pages per day all in black and white (does not really need color),

Would there be sufficient cost savings to justify the purchase of a laser printer for him?

Are laser printers a lot more efficient on toner use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Laser printers...are not overly expensive...produce better quality print (IMO)...and are not manufactured solely for the purpose of selling refills of ink.  It's no contest for me.

More Opinions.

Louis

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Once you're talking volume you want a laser.  Ink cartridges are good for a few hundred pages.  Lasers are good for 1,000 to 4,000 depending on the make and model.  You can pick up a cheap mono laser printer for less than $100.

Samsung Xpress M3015DW Laser Printer for $80 and the toner is good for 1,200 pages.  The refill toner is just as much, but is good for 4,000 pages.

That's just an example, I don't know anything about this printer, but it is rated well.

Edited by Kilroy, 02 March 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#4 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Laser printers...are not overly expensive...produce better quality print (IMO)...and are not manufactured solely for the purpose of selling refills of ink.  It's no contest for me.

More Opinions.

Louis

thanks for the help,

this may sound stupid but.....

do laser printers have two toners?...one for color, one for black like inkjets?....or is it all in one?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

If you have a monochrome laser (black and white) you will have one toner cartridge. If you have a color laser printer you will have 4 separate cartridges. Black, Cyan,Magenta, and Yellow. 

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

As JohnC_21 said you will have four toner cartridges on a color laser and one toner cartridge on a monochrome.  The cheapest all in one color laser I saw was about $250.  Some what like ink jet printers most laser printers come with either "starter" cartridges or the low volume cartridge.  I used to have a Dell 3100cn color laser that came with 4,000 page cartridges and I never replaced one in the five years I had it.

When you do a cost comparison laser printers will win just because an $80 toner cartridge is good for 4,000 pages where you would probably have to purchase 40 of the $12 ink cartridges to get the same from an ink jet.  So, while toner costs more when you have to replace it, it lasts much longer than ink and drying out is never an issue.

#7 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Laser is cheaper unless you wish to get into doing ink refills (messy).

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users