Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Win10 from HDD to SSD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KDDomin

KDDomin

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

So I recently purchased the Sandisk Plus 240GB SSD for my PC. I already installed and it is properly working and showing up in computer components. I know there are many tutorials out there how to do this, but I can not find one how to move just the OS (Win 10) to the SSD. Saying this I do indeed have an HDD (1 TB WD) that I intend on keeping in the PC for my applications, some games, etc. All the tutorials I have seen are moving everything from HDD to SSD and then removing the HDD from the PC altogether. Well I cant move everything over, as I have used about 600GB of the HDD and only have a 240 GB SSD. I tried to use Ease US Backup tool but I think that is only for moving everything over instead of just the OS.

Any suggestions and how to's would be great as I am stuck on what to do next.

Also with moving the OS to the SSD and keeping the HDD is it imperative that I still backup? Or am I not at a risk of losing anything?

I plan on installing some larger and more used of my games (such as Battlefield 1 and CSGO) to the SSD in the near future. So if i cant seem to figure out how to do that I may be back here again.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

If after copying all your data in the Users directory to another HDD you still have more than 240GB you will need to uninstall some of your programs. You may also want to turn off System Restore. That may safe a few GBs too. 

You should always backup your important data you cannot afford to lose but when moving from the HDD to the SSD you are only reading, not writing from the HDD so the chance of data loss is small.

To repeat, if you have many programs that are taking up space on the drive, you can only backup the program data itself if any. There is no way to move the OS without also moving installed programs.

#3 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

If after copying all your data in the Users directory to another HDD you still have more than 240GB you will need to uninstall some of your programs. You may also want to turn off System Restore. That may safe a few GBs too. 

You should always backup your important data you cannot afford to lose but when moving from the HDD to the SSD you are only reading, not writing from the HDD so the chance of data loss is small.

To repeat, if you have many programs that are taking up space on the drive, you can only backup the program data itself if any. There is no way to move the OS without also moving installed programs.

Ok so is something i could do is uninstall all my games and reinstall them to the HDD after I switch the OS to SSD? Right now my games take up 430 of my used 574 GB of my 1 TB. So that leaves 144 GB which will fit on the 240GB card. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Correct, you can uninstall and then reinstall the programs to the HDD once the SSD has been cloned. For cloning the drives make sure the HDD is detached after cloning and before rebooting the SSD. 

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

I'd recommend disconnecting the old drive and doing a fresh Windows install on the SSD.  Then shut down the computer and reconnect the old drive.  Move your data over and start installing your games.  New drives are a chance to get a fresh start.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

I agree with Kilroy. At this point you are better off with a clean install.

#7 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

I agree with Kilroy. At this point you are better off with a clean install.

Do I need to back up my files at all for a clean install? I dont have a back up hard drive or the money to buy one right now. Also do you have a link of a good way to do a fresh install from an HDD to an SSD or can explain how to do it yourself. Ive never done a fresh install switching drives and dont want to mess anything up.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

You will not need to back up your HDD as it will be disconnected while you are clean installing Windows 10 to the SSD. Because you have Windows 10 activated you can download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 and create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. After installing to the SSD you may need to install additional drivers such as Wifi.

Once Windows 10 is installed to the SSD attach your HDD and back up your personal files and any other data files to an external HDD. After you are sure your data is backed up including any license files then wipe the HDD to get rid of the OS. Install your programs to the clean HDD and then copy your data from the external to the HDD drive. At least that is how I would do it. 

If you do not have an additional external hard drive you may be able to copy your personal data from the HDD to the freespace you have on the SSD if it is enough. Once the data is copied to the SSD from the HDD wipe the HDD. Move your personal data back from the SSD to the HDD. Then install your programs to the HDD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Here is the step by step for Windows 8 which is the same for Windows 10. You will not be deleting any partitions as the drive will be clean.

Edit: Add link  https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 March 2017 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users