Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assistance, Please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SirLancelot

SirLancelot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:59 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518771/microsoft-windows-malicious-software-removal-tool-is-requesting-your-permission - Hamluis

Hi folks, I may have the same issue, but I genuinely don't know. I was after a little help, I'm hoping this is straight forward.

Problem: At start up, I have MSRT (mrt.exe) asking for permission to run. This has never happened before. 

Question: Is this real, or is this fake?

What i've done:

- Literally every step mentioned above, plus running AVG free in safe mode.

- A few things came up, but nothing related to the problem and it hasn't gone away.

I can delete mrt.exe, but then after 2 reboots, it's back and asking questions.

So, is this a virus that's going to go crazy on my system, or is this potentially a real Microsoft app trying to do the right thing?

Any help much appreciated!!

Malicious%20Software%20Removal%20Tool_zp

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2017 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Solution to this on in addition to the thread mentioned at top of first post - go to Task Manager, and check to see what is actually being run: right click the columns and add a column called 'Command Line'. Disable anything that doesn't need to be running on startup, which for me was an unknown published running "Program" (turned out to be divx), and I also disabled mrt.exe. So far the computer appears clean, and I'm not being promped to run mrt on startup.

This website is great. Thanks contributors!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users