Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So confused. Tons of "website block" popups from Malware Bytes.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Using Win 7 and Chrome. I use Malwarebytes Premium, Spybot S&D, WinPatrol, Microsoft Security Essentials and K9 Web Protection (for personal things).

So as a geek I'm always taken pride in pretty much never having a virus/malware...etc. I don't use torrents, never really go to new websites. Never open emails I don't know (obviously). Mostly I just am on youtube, facebook, kotaku...etc. 

So yesterday I hadn't used the computer much since I was out. No problems when I got home. Did some youtube then went off to watch tv. Nothing was popping up from anything. I got up 30 minutes ago and Malwarebytes Premium is going crazy, mind you I didn't even do anything yet on the PC. Just turned on the screen. Every 3-4 seconds it pops up a window saying "Website Blocked". Has the IP Address, Outbound...etc. It says file
"C:\PROGRA~1\HP\HPENVY~1\Bin\HPNETW~1.EXE"
"File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
"File: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe"

I attached two pics of it. The Chrome one didn't pop up until I opened Chrome. Again I haven't downloaded anything or done anything so not sure if its just going crazy for no reason and I should add that stuff to the exclusion list or what. I did look up the HP one and it looks like sometimes it does that with the printer I have due to the ink level monitoring it does. Still I wanted to check on here first before adding them to the exclusion list just to be safe. And obviously I can use Chrome just fine. Nothing in browser is being blocked. 

SShot_1.jpg

SShot_2.jpg

Edited by xfreakazoidx, 02 March 2017 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShadowChicken

ShadowChicken

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

Try and reset chrome with this tool.

Then set your dns to adblocking dns.

#3 fatdcuk

fatdcuk

• Security Colleague
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hi

This was confirmed to be a false positve and has got fixed with a later database update.

Please update and the alerts should no longer persist.

Ade Gill
Senior Research Engineer (PUP)

marcinsig.gif

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Was happening to me too this AM, I Googled "malwarebytes forum" and there are a bunch of posts today with people having the same problem. Right click the tray icon and select "check for updates" and let the new update install. 

See here https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/197099-ip-239255255250-popup/?page=4

They made a mistake by putting this in the list of blocked IP 239.255.255.250 address's.

#5 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

Yeah everything seems better now. Though computer seems a bit slower. I did read at that post that my version of MB in general is outdated and has memory leaks. Which is why I probably can't open my Resource Monitor.

Did any of the stuff blocks earlier block things for good? Or was it just a temporary block?

#6 ShadowChicken

ShadowChicken

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Malwarebytes has really gone down in detection, they seem to be more focused on marketing than making their product better. Really it is a shame, used to be a really good tool. I hope they can turn things around before it is too late for them. Mbam Ver 3 is borderline trash software which is plagued with bugs, and low detection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users