Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijack This

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lenh

lenh

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

I am having 'slow-down' problems with my laptop. It has been recommended that I scan my computer with HiJack This, among other programs. When I Googled HiJack This, I was taken to the PC Tools Software web site. A free scan is offered but under a program named Spyware Doctor 4. There is no mention of HiJack This on the page. Have I been redirected to another web site or program or are Spyware Doctor 4 and HiJack This the same program? TIA lenh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

They are not the same. The direct download for HiJack this is at this site:

<http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/Merijn/hijackthis_sfx.exe>

I have typed in the URL instead of creating a hyperlink so you will need to copy and paste the URL, don't include the opening and closing arrows, into the address bar in a new window or tab. Doing so greatly reduces the chances of being redirected if you are having that problem.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:26 AM

The HJT application is designed primarily as a diagnostic tool to search for, and then remove, spyware; Spyware Doctor is an anti-spyware application like Spybot or Ad-Aware, that uses a set of definitions to search for certain files.
Unless you have a great deal of expertise, you would be well-advised to run a log, and then submit it to our volunteer team of experts who have the expertise not only to find the malware, but help you completely remove it.

See the BC Tutorial about the HJT Log:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-hijackthis/

And here are instructions for submitting a log here at BC:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Before doing this, I would recommend you consult the pinned topic, "Slow computer checklist"; following the steps discussed there will probably do more for solving your problem than submiting a log, unless you have serious malware problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 lenh

lenh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

WOW! 30 pages of tutorial for HiJack This. It looks intimidating for my level of computer technical knowledge. Before tackling that, I will do scans with Earthlink Spy Audit, AdAware SE, Spy Sweeper, Zone Alarm, and Spybot SD. In addition, NAV, TriMicro, and CW Shredder have been recommended. PC World has a program that it claims will remove CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL that Spybot identifies but has never been able to remove. Unless someone offers an objection to any of these programs, I will proceed and end with HJT if my slow-down problems are not resolved. If it is too intimidating, I will look for a local 'professional' who has experience with it to do the job. Thanks to all for the welcome message and recommendations. lenh.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

You can always, if you cannot fix the problem yourself or you thing you are getting in "over your head," submit your log to our team of experts, who will help you step-by-step get rid of the malware.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 lenh

lenh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:39 AM

Thank you, John. I understand that. Spent most of the day doing scans and so far have only come up with one item found, and supposedly removed, by CS Shredder - CWS.Aff.Toolband. I have not double checked yet to verify its removal. Still have some more programs to use. I had an incident today while scanning. I do not know if I should add it here or start another topic in this or another forum. While scanning with Zone Alarm Security Suite, I received a window telling my that my computer was locked and only I could unlock it by inserting my password. I did not insert my password but clicked on "OK". The window went away and Zone Alarm was still scanning. In addition, however, near the upper right hand corner of the ZA window the following appeared in red print: System Error: Please Reboot. ZA completed the scan without my rebooting the computer. This sounds like a phishing expedition. Could it be part of my slow-down problem? Does it look familiar and do you know the source? TIA. lenh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users