Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three dead GA-B85M-HD3 boards

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kangerm00se

Kangerm00se

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hi

I've got a mysterious problem that has killed three GA-B85M-HD3 boards within one month. Having good experiences with Gigabyte otherwise I'm pretty sure this isn't a coincidence.

Three years ago I built this setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
CPU: i5-4440
Ram: Geil 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit
PSU: Sharkoon SHA450-12EUP
HDD: Deskstar 7K1000.C, 500 GB
The case and an internal card reader were already 6 years old at the time. There is also an old Linksys WiFi card and a standard DVD drive in the computer.

About two months ago the system died. All components worked well on another computer except the motherboard. As it had been on nearly full-time I didn't to much of it and just ordered a new motherboard; GA-B85M-HD3 R4 this time.

This works well for two months. After that, again the motherboard was dead. The most likely suspect was the power supply being corrupt, so I swapped the motherboard for a new one (also GA-B85M-HD3 R4), and changed the PSU for a brand new Corsair CX430.

Only two days this time ... and motherboard number three died. You can imagine that I won't be running to the shop for a new board anymore until I really figure out what is going on. I already changed the PSU with the last motherboard replacement, so I can exclude that. However I can't really think of another component which is capable to destroy motherboards but keeps working fine itself.

We did look into the power in the house. The voltage is within 220-230 range (Belgium; that is normal voltage here), but of course we don't know exactly at the time the motherboard died. Also no other electronic devices show strange behaviour.

Just to explain, with "dead" I mean (in each of the three cases): using absolute minimum setup (CPU, one stick of RAM, PSU) nothing happens when I try to power it up (connecting Power-on on motherboard). There is no strange smell and nothing visually wrong.

So, my questions for you:
- Any idea what could cause the motherboards to fail? Number one could have just died from age (even thouh three years isn't old); but numbers 2 and 3 certainly aren't a coincidene. Please note that the system has worked each time for at least two days, so I don't think I did something wrong with the installation.
- Is there anything I could measure on the board using a multimeter that could better diagnose the problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

I ran into this not long ago, turns out it was the reset switch had gone bad and was still connected, I just disconnected it. It was an old case too, does your case have a reset button?

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

I'd ditch the entire case on the off-chance one of the USB headers and/or case fans has an intermittent short...(or disconnect all USB headers, and case fans rather inconvenient, however)

Perhaps just very bad luck with mainboards, too, but it could take years to figure it out at this rate! (Ditch everything, and swap mainboard brands too!)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

I'd ditch the entire case on the off-chance one of the USB headers and/or case fans has an intermittent short...(or disconnect all USB headers, and case fans rather inconvenient, however)

Perhaps just very bad luck with mainboards, too, but it could take years to figure it out at this rate! (Ditch everything, and swap mainboard brands too!)

When I first had the problem that's what I did, i put in a known good used motherboard and cpu and guess what, it wouldn't power on either. I pulled the motherboard and put it on a wooden cutting board, hooked just the power supply a keyboard and a display. Shorted the power on pins on the motherboard and it posted fine. Put it back in the case and it wouldn't power on, my wife said it had to be a bad case. I said cases don't go bad and that got me thinking, disconnect all front panel wires and short the power on pins. And it powered on and posted. Put the front panel wires back 1 set at a time and determined the reset wires when connected caused the issue. I put the original board back in and left the reset button disconnected and it powered up and posted fine. 

#5 Kangerm00se

Kangerm00se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thanks guys. I'll retire the case (it's over ten years old anyway).

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Check your stand off locations, a grounding point may have been changed and the PS is getting shorted.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

+1 QQQQ;  A common failure on old cases is the front panel power button, and next, the reset button. I have had them fail and do really weird things to the system.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

When I first had the problem that's what I did, i put in a known good used motherboard and cpu and guess what, it wouldn't power on either. I pulled the motherboard and put it on a wooden cutting board, hooked just the power supply a keyboard and a display. Shorted the power on pins on the motherboard and it posted fine. Put it back in the case and it wouldn't power on, my wife said it had to be a bad case. I said cases don't go bad and that got me thinking, disconnect all front panel wires and short the power on pins. And it powered on and posted. Put the front panel wires back 1 set at a time and determined the reset wires when connected caused the issue. I put the original board back in and left the reset button disconnected and it powered up and posted fine. 

Hard for 'a case' to go 'bad'; either a stand-off underneath the mainboard is located in a wrong spot, shorting out the bottom of the mainboard, or, one of the fans/usb headers is shorting it out. Reset switch can cause havoc, but all assorted LED indicators could be disconnected.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

I still think the first psu was the culprit it just damaged more than just the motherboard and you are wise to pitch the case, but before relying heavily on a new case test the rest of the hardware as a ram stick or two might have been affected as well. The Corsair Cx model psu is not a great improvement either though it would not have continued the problem either.

Edited by mylanta406, 05 March 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#10 Kangerm00se

Kangerm00se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:22 AM

I still think the first psu was the culprit it just damaged more than just the motherboard and you are wise to pitch the case, but before relying heavily on a new case test the rest of the hardware as a ram stick or two might have been affected as well. The Corsair Cx model psu is not a great improvement either though it would not have continued the problem either.

Interesting theory! Besides the case I'm also retiring the oldest HDD, an old Wifi card, and an old card reader (attached to motherboard) in case one of them is guilty (or at least an accomplice).

Never head of RAM being able to kill a motherboard. Does someone have had this experience? In that case I'll ditch the RAM too.

#11 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

Actually I wasn't really saying the ram killed the motherboard but it might be killing the system is all as ram can easily be affected by a bad psu.

One thing I saw a few years ago was bad ram killing a network and also a psu blowing away hard drives with faulty voltage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users