Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud Server Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

I have a law office application (Time Matters) that used to run on a peer-to-peer (P2P) network. The current version now requires a dedicated server. I have been avoiding upgrading because I did not want to buy or maintain a server. Now, with cloud servers, I may be able to upgrace the software and run it in a cloud server.

Can anyone recommend a really good (reliable) company to host that server?

Thanks for any help...

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

Article: Time Matters 16 System Requirements

Time Matters is not supported over a WAN (Wide Area Network). Connecting to the Time Matters database over a WAN or VPN may result in serious latency or inoperable software. Wireless networks are not supported. Our software is designed to operate on a Local Area Network (LAN). Servers must reside on the same physical network unless supported remote access technologies are used.
LexisNexis provides limited support for virtual machines and servers. Remote technology requires complex technical resources to install and configure. If you are having difficulties with the setup you need to contact a Certified Partner.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

One way around this might be to connect to the cloud service over a permanent VPN, so it appears the cloud servers are on your local area network. However, this is probably more trouble and expense that it would be worth to try to run that in the cloud.

Have you considered setting up a server as a virtual machine on an existing computer and installing the application there? I don't know enough about your current environment, but you could install something simple like VirtualBox to run the VM on an existing computer. Depending on what version of Windows you are using, you could also use Hyper-V to create and run the VM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

You don't necessarily need a "server" it largely depends on the number of users and your database size (according to the support site) . You do need a dedicated host with at least Windows 10 Professional and Microsoft Sql server. You could use a pc with an Intel i7, 16gb of ram, and a solid state hdd. What are your concerns with a "dedicated server"?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 March 2017 - 12:23 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users