Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

\Zuokiz\uwyd.exz.exe found by AVG, system locked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

I stupidly clicked on an email link that looked like it came from the USPS about a package that could not be delivered. Part of the problem was that we had just returned from a trip and there actually was a package that the USPS could not deliver. Anyway, it took me to some weird website. As soon as I realized that I probably had been had, I closed it down and rebooted. I then ran Malwarebytes, which found 56 PUP threats, all of which I let it quarantine. I then rebooted again. Everything seemed fine for awhile, but then a few minutes ago, AVG put up a message saying that it had found a threat and suggesting it remove it.

Threat: IDP.genedric.220c3ea724b1.3.2

File C;\Documents and Settings\Cynthia\Zuokiz\uwyd.exz.exe

I came over to this PC and searched for that file and found that it is an application written by Western Digital for use with my hard drive, which I believe is a WD.

So now I am not sure what to do. AVG has locked the machine so that I cannot run anything else. I would have posted a screen shot, but I can't.

I assume that I should just let AVG do its thing, right?

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 02 March 2017 - 02:36 AM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:38 AM

PS: This happened on a Dell Optiplex workstation running Windows XP.

I was just reading the info posts and it said to include that information. I didn't initially because it's in my profile and I thought it was included automatically, as it is on some forums. Sorry for the omission.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

Can someone please advise as to whether I should go ahead and let AVG remove this file? Since this file may be related to my WD hard disk, I am concerned that if I let AVG remove it, the hard disk may stop working. But I am concerned that if I don't, the machine will continue to be infected. In the meantime, the machine is frozen (locked). The AVG dialog is on the screen and nothing else works, including the Start button.

AVG is offering me two options:

1. Protect me (recommended): AVG will choose the best method for removing the threat.
  2. Ignore threat: AVG will prevent you from accessing the infected file. The threat will not be removed.

When I clicked on "More info", I get a second dialog that shows two entries for this file. The first one says, "Object was blocked". The second one says, "Deleted, Moved to Virus Vault".

Which option should I choose?

I really need to unlock this machine so I can use it.

Thanks...

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

Having received no responses here, I decided to go ahead and click on the Protect me button. Nothing happened, or so I thought. The machine seemed frozen. Not even the start button would work.

So I called AVG tech support. The tech I got said she would help me even though I was using the free version. Since the system seemed locked up, she told me to press and hold the Power button until the machine shut down, then unplug it, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in, and then reboot to Safe Mode.

When we got to safe mode, she ran some diagnostics that included downloading HDSentinel and SpeedTest. I asked her what that was for and she said she needed to rule out hardware problems first. The hardware come through with flying colors.

After an hour or so, she said she couldn't help me unless I bought the Ultimate package. I said I'd think about it.

I then rebooted and the AVG threat dialog came up again, but now the system was not locked up, so I was able to click on the Protect me button. It said it was working on it and then said I was protected. I captured screen shots of both. It said I needed to reboot, which I did. When the system came back up, the same AVG screen also came back with the same warning. I again clicked on Protect Me and it said it did. I again captured screen shots. All of the screen shots are in this DropBox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fchwf8im1jpt4gi/AAA9-qtbyAoYZiCYD-csrEnMa?dl=0

So now what do I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users