Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Officejet 6700 wireless connection to Homegroup but cannot print

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NJRON

NJRON

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Small home network connected via Verizon Jetpack WIFI access point. 2 laptops: Acer AspireE1-572-6660 and HP  Pavillion g series both running Windows 7. Printer is HP Officejet 6700 Premium.

4 days ago I moved to another location. Prior to the move I used Verizon Fios and had no problems/issues with network. I moved all my electronics myself. At new location Fios not available so went with Verizon jetpack for Internet service which has worked flawlessly. The Officejet recognized the Jetpack as the new access point and connected immediately. I ran a "wireless Network Test of the printer connection and the results were "No problems found. Congratulations on the successful setup of your wireless printer".However if I map the network the printer is not visible. Also, if I go into "devices and printers" the Officejet is still listed as the default printer but in "properties" it shows the printer as "unavailable". This is true for both laptops. I've tried everything I could think of including uninstalling the printer software and downloading the latest version from HP, with the same results. I've tried setting up the software numerous times and even though I provide the printers IP address it cannot find the printer. I used an HP diagnostic and it confirmed the printer was connected, identified the access point and IP address but determined it could not communicate with the printer.At this point I don't know if the problem is with the printer, the network, the jetpack, the software or my laptop. BTW, I've powered down the access point, the printer and laptop and restarted in the same sequence, numerous times...to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated at this point. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

I'd try creating a new homegroup and make sure the printing privileges are "enabled", giving access to all homegroup computers.

#3 NJRON

NJRON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

Printer was plugged into surge protector. Now plugged directly into wall outlet. According to printer it is connected to the wireless network. In "Devices and Printers" the printer remains "unavailable".

#4 NJRON

NJRON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

BC Advisor...

Hate to sound like a total newbie but how do I do that? The only options I'm given in Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center takes me to "View your basic network & set-up connections" where I can go to "Choose homegroup and sharing options" but on either page am not given an option to set up a new homegroup only to modify settings of existing group, file sharing etc.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

Don't worry about sounding like a "newbie"..... that's what we're here for.... :)

To "delete" a homegroup, all just have all computers leave the homegroup. Then it should be gone. After that's done, you can create a new one.

Here are instructions for setting up a homegroup in W7: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17145/windows-homegroup-from-start-to-finish

Edited by Allan, 02 March 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#6 NJRON

NJRON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

BC Advisor

Pulling my hair out....removed both laptops from Homegroup per your suggestion. Following instructions in link provided, set up a new homegroup selecting documents and printers as resources to share and saved selections. Went to Control Panel/Network & Sharing to confirm existence of new Homegroup. Basic Network info confirms Laptop #1 connected to Network and Internet. Homegroup indicates "joined" & confirms wireless network connection.

Next Step: add other PC's to the Homegroup. Presented with 2 options: "choose Homegroup & Sharing options" and Share printers". I selected the first option; On the new screen..."There is currently no Homegroup on the Network". (!!?????)

Going to Network & Sharing Center it shows Laptop #2 connected to Network & Internet. Network identified properly. Homegroup does not say "join" but rather says, "Ready to create". Connections displays properly. I've repeated this process several times with the same results. Printer is also connected wirelessly to Network and have printer generated report indicating all is AOK. Still cannot print from either laptop.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

The computer on which you created the homegroup must be booted to Windows for other computers to see it and join.

#8 NJRON

NJRON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Allan, thank you for your continued support...not sure what you mean by "boot to Windows". After most system changes/modifications I reboot the system & the OS is Wndows, but I suspect you mean something else. Can you be more specific? BTW, if you meant rebooting he system, I've done that on both machines and the HP (laptop #2) still says "Ready to Create" instead of "join".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users