Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub Issue

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

It was suggested I ask this over here in Linux & Unix. I originally posted (still active) in Windows 10 Spt Area. Here you go:

I am currently in Windows 10 which is shared with Kubuntu 14.04

As I logged in to that particular laptop. into Windows 10. it immediately went into one of those rather large updates where it states the computer will start and turn off several times. It got to approximately 25% download when the screen went black with the following:

error: file '/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found

Entering rescue mode...

grub rescue> _

Reason for concern or let it keep running. Approx 20 minutes has elapsed with the "error" msg on the black screen.

Thank you.

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:12 AM

Solved.

HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:33 AM

How ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

Solved.

Created a post in your other Topic.

Windows 10 must be right before dual booting with Linux, otherwise no matter what you do within Linux, that issue (the one moved from Linux to Windows 10 Forum) won't be solved. In particular, Fast Boot (aks 'Fast Startup') must be disabled to prevent W10 OS corruption. :)

Since I've always done this prior to installing Linux Mint (on UEFI computers), don't know first hand how bad any corruption may be, just what I've read. Unless this setting is changed, the computer never really shuts down, other than after running Kubuntu 14.04. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Solved.

Created a post in your other Topic.

Windows 10 must be right before dual booting with Linux, otherwise no matter what you do within Linux, that issue (the one moved from Linux to Windows 10 Forum) won't be solved. In particular, Fast Boot (aks 'Fast Startup') must be disabled to prevent W10 OS corruption. :)

Since I've always done this prior to installing Linux Mint (on UEFI computers), don't know first hand how bad any corruption may be, just what I've read. Unless this setting is changed, the computer never really shuts down, other than after running Kubuntu 14.04. 

Cat

Thanks. Been running dual boot for about 1.5 yrs. I remember when I installed Kubuntu that the folks helping me over at the Kubuntu forum had me disable the "fast startup" deal.

How did I fix it? Ultimately I loaded my Kubuntu 14.04 USB and booted to it. I then launched Terminal, downloaded, installed Boot Repair which took it from there. Booted back into Windows and the Windows 10 update continued for about another 30 minutes or so and successfully installed. I believe (don't know really) that when the install was taking place initially, and the screen had informed me that multiple starts/stops would occur, the update got to the point of its first "reboot". Since "Ubuntu" was the default "boot to" OS, the Windows update process got stuck at Grub. That's all I can figure. After all was said and done, and not knowing how to change the default boot to in Grub, I found a little app called Grub Customizer. I ultimately was able (I think / haven't tried it yet) to make the default "auto-boot) Windows instead of Ubuntu. I did that in case of a big Windows update in the future will not puke during the process. Admittedly not knowing anything about this kind of stuff, I have no idea if my default boot has changed. Fixin' to do a restart and see. I'll post the results here.

#6 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

The Grub Customizer tool worked. Moments ago I had posted to this thread while in Kubuntu. Hit restart. Grub had "highlighted" the particular (There's more than 1) Windows boot I have always used. Never knew which one to use so "back then" I just picked the one named [Windows UEFI mgfw.efi] and it worked. I selected Ubuntu at the top of the list and it booted to Kubuntu. Hit restart again and let it run its course. The Windows one was highlighted. After 30 seconds it auto-booted to Windows. Auto-boot had been set to 10 seconds and I bumped it to 30 seconds with Grub Customizer. I'm currently in Windows 10. This is a pic of Grub prior to changing default to Windows thus Ubuntu is highlighted at the top.

xwp9XzZ.jpg

#7 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Timing is everything. Just had another Windows 10 back-to-back update [s] that took about 30 minutes. Did its thing to include restarting without a hitch. PtOn04Q.png

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

Well done !....that is good info for all dual booters.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

Well done !....that is good info for all dual booters.

Thanks but I give all credit to dumb luck. I'm likely the least knowledgeable / most illiterate computer person in the universe. Here's an example. When I added Kubuntu to my Windows laptop, I sought help from the Kubuntu forum. It became a 49 page thread and lasted days. Had I been knowledgeable I'd estimate the process should have taken less than an hour. Those guys hung in there; especially member Qmike to whom I will be forever grateful. 

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?68907-Help-Me-Enjoy-Install-Kubuntu-Please

Edited by bamashooter, 02 March 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Boot Repair is awesome. It repaired my grub loader after I reinstalled XP on a dual boot system with Ubuntu. 

#11 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Boot Repair is awesome. It repaired my grub loader after I reinstalled XP on a dual boot system with Ubuntu. 

Agree 100%. the aforementioned Qmike had me do that one other time for an issue that, for some reason due to something my dumb butt had done, when booting up, the laptop would go directly to Windows instead of launching Grub from which I normally selected Ubuntu. I "Boot Repaired" via Konsole and bam!. Good as new.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

@bamashooter, that's good work! and thanks for the update.  I've used Boot-Repair also, got me out of a few jams.  Lot's of little tools can be installed in LinuxLiveSessions and fix all kinds of stuff.

Must be that nasty Windows 10 Upgrade thing doing this because most of us Dual Boot W7-8.

Edited by pcpunk, 02 March 2017 - 06:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

@bamashooter, that's good work! and thanks for the update.  I've used Boot-Repair also, got me out of a few jams.  Lot's of little tools can be installed in LinuxLiveSessions and fix all kinds of stuff.

Must be that nasty Windows 10 Upgrade thing doing this because most of us Dual Boot W7-8.

Been wanting to say this: Thanks, punk!  :lol:

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:27 AM

Glad to hear that Boot-Repair CD got you out of a jam! <_<

I have one that in my collection of CD's, burned & ready to use in time of need, and on one occasion for someone else, did need the tool. 

Note that when dual booting a UEFI computer (you may know this also), that the bootloader must be placed on the small partition where Windows Boot Manager resides. If that's done (& Fast Boot disabled on Windows 8 & newer), then Linux should load normally. It's during the partitioning phase, there's a drop down menu to choose where to place the bootloader. Always choose the one that says 'Windows Boot Manager' on UEFI enabled computers, and the rest just works, or that's been the case with me. :)

On my main PC, I have no intentions of installing Linux, as I have numerous computers to install Linux Mint on, one sitting beside me running a Malware scan with a newly acquired dual core CPU, will make a perfect Linux Mint PC. I can't believe that this PC was built in 2006 & running the latest edition of Windows 10 (though ran W7 better), I'd bet the house that Linux Mint 64 bit would sail on it. :thumbsup:

Glad that we were of assistance to you, and don't hesitate to return, we have a great group of members here & growing. We'd be delighted to have you among our ranks! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

That was very informative Cat. I know not what you said but I greatly appreciate the input. Speaking of, when I go to Windows via boot, I always use   [Windows UEFI mgfw.efi] because that's what I first used and it worked.  :clapping:Are you advising I should use [Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/sda2)] as shown in my previously posted screen shot of Grub? Another. As I was messing around with Grub Customizer yesterday, I noticed there were a zillion boot options (I think) to boot into a safe mode of Ubuntu. It appeared that perhaps each time I booted to Ubuntu, it created a "safe mode". They were numbered sequentially. I removed them except for the most current. GC looks like it set them aside; didn't actually delete them. This is what remain. It took 3 screen captures which descend to show what it consists of. The smaller print is things which appeared after I clicked a button which I don't recall though it seemed harmless at the time of clicking. :hysterical:

h1ibkWm.jpg

Yz9aqu4.jpg

W4e87Cy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users