Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Updates severely corrupted system

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MegY424

MegY424

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hi there! 

Somehow, Windows 7 failed to recognize updates for quite some time. About a month ago, they finally appeared. I mistakenly chose to update them all at the same time. And it has been downhill ever since. 

First, the updates failed. When trying to enter Windows, I received the message 

"Failure to configure updates, reverting changes." 

It stayed on that screen for days. So, I restarted the computer, and try to enter safe mode and safe mode with command prompt. It would not open in either. I attempted a system restore, but it failed

"while mounting the registry from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070020)" 

I tried "Repair your Computer" but accomplished nothing other than realizing there was an X:/ as my active partition instead of my C:/. So I purchased Easy Recovery Essentials from neosmart.com. This again accomplished nothing. 

Frustrated and out of patience, I purchased Windows 10 from the Microsoft Website in a hope to be able to install it over Windows 7. Install seemed to be going ok, until I got this message: 

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix this problem: 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2.Choose your language setting and then click 'Next.' 3. Click 'Repair your computer.'..." 

So I restarted and this message popped up 

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click 'OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

So I did. Then I got the same message as before:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause....." 

Restarted.. went into BIOS. Chose an option to optimize defaults. Exited BIOS. Got "Windows failed to start" message again. Restarted. Entered Boot Menu. Pressed Esc. Was given a screen:

"Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..."

I pressed a key and Windows 10 installation seemed to start normally again. After an hour, I received the "Windows failed to start" message. This is where I stopped and decided to look for help.

A little additional info:

• System Specs:
  • We built the computer in February 2014. BIOS date = 7/15/2013.
  • CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-Core 4.0 GHz
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB
  • Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin
  • SSD/HDD: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX
  • GPU: Brand: XFX, Series: Double D, Model: FX-787A-CDFC
  • PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91
  • Case: CORSAIR Vengeance Series C70 ATM Mid Tower Computer Case
  • I am not computer illiterate, but I am not fluent either. My husband and I built our computer.
  • I checked RAM and hardware functionality... all good.
  • Our Windows 7 DVD was scratched and could not be read for a clean install.
  • Tried a couple update patches Microsoft offered by downloading files, converting to ISO and loading to USB. They made no difference.
  • The computer was never backed up.
  • Scanned for viruses with AVG same day updates occurred and it was fine.
  • Tried "/fix mbr" "/fixboot" "bootrec.exe" etc. All did not work.
  • The BIOS is GIGABYTE dualbios UEFI. I have no clue about BIOS.

I was in contact with a Microsoft tech who, after going over the problems and possible solutions with, concluded “due to the operating system not booting up on safe mode and normal mode, it just means that the system have encountered severe corruptions” and advised me to bring the system to a local tech to help me format it and perform a clean install of Windows 10. 

So I am trying to avoid this if I can, but I have no idea how to format without access to windows and have no clue what to do next.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If anyone is able to help me, I would sure appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Hello MegY424, since you have not responded in 2 days, are you still interested in pursuing this problem, or have you found other sources?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 MegY424

MegY424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

I am still interested in pursuing this problem  I have not been able to resolve the issue.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

The first thing I always ask with this kind of problem: do you have any valuable, critical data that you cannot lose?

Next: Your Windows 7 DVD is damaged, I assume that you purchased this from a retail store. Do you have the key number for it? We may be able to find a download for that version of Windows if you can provide the original key which proves that you did purchase it. Perhaps you prefer Windows 10, so if you have purchased the disk that is a viable option also.

Next: this is important. Since you built the computer yourself, do you still have the motherboard drivers for it and any peripherals that you may have installed? They usually come on a CD that came with the motherboard or other peripheral that was installed later. I suggest that you check your motherboard manufacturer website and see if they have posted updated drivers for Windows 10, if you decide to install W10. If not, you can still install W10 and hope that the drivers for Windows 7 will work.

I must go into a meeting right now, if I get out in time I will post back. If not, then tomorrow AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 ShadowChicken

ShadowChicken

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

I work part time in a repair shop and this works on 90 percent of update issues.

Run these tools in order.

Disable your antivirus prior to running each tool.

You need to reboot after each tool.

https://1fichier.com/?jo0kk9mjg3

https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/218/

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/135-windows-7-service-repair/

http://www.oakslabs.com/

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:08 AM

If you wish to run ShadowChickens suggestions that is fine, no problem.

I strongly suggest that you first check out that your drive is not corrupted or failing; if your drive fails you loose everything on your drive. If, after you verify that the drive is good, then run his programs. I have never used these so I cannot help you with them, but if he has used them successfully well and good.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

I work part time in a repair shop and this works on 90 percent of update issues.

I wouldnt run these tools unless someone can Verify them to be safe.

I checked the first Link and looks Suspicious as in its Langauge and Layout.

Last link was Blocked by Avast Antivirus.

#8 MegY424

MegY424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

Thank you all for the help! 

I wouldnt run these tools unless someone can Verify them to be safe.

I checked the first Link and looks Suspicious as in its Langauge and Layout.

Last link was Blocked by Avast Antivirus.

I wouldn't either.  :)  

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

You state that you purchased Windows 10...from where?

If you know that your Win 7 install was corrupt...why would you try to install Win 10 over it?  The simple thing to do is to clean install.

Good installed on top of Bad...equals Bad, IMO.  It seems that you are trying to salvage something that went wrong from the beginning.  The cure for such would be a clean install.

In any case...the first thing that should be done before attempting to install any O/S...would be to verify that the hard drive has no problems.  This is done by running a hard drive diagnostic.  Once it's apparent that the hard drive itself has no problems...a clean install will result in deletion of the current troublesome file system and Windows install.  Which is probably why it was suggested by MS.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#10 MegY424

MegY424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

The first thing I always ask with this kind of problem: do you have any valuable, critical data that you cannot lose?

Next: Your Windows 7 DVD is damaged, I assume that you purchased this from a retail store. Do you have the key number for it? We may be able to find a download for that version of Windows if you can provide the original key which proves that you did purchase it. Perhaps you prefer Windows 10, so if you have purchased the disk that is a viable option also.

Next: this is important. Since you built the computer yourself, do you still have the motherboard drivers for it and any peripherals that you may have installed? They usually come on a CD that came with the motherboard or other peripheral that was installed later. I suggest that you check your motherboard manufacturer website and see if they have posted updated drivers for Windows 10, if you decide to install W10. If not, you can still install W10 and hope that the drivers for Windows 7 will work.

I must go into a meeting right now, if I get out in time I will post back. If not, then tomorrow AM.

I really appreciate the help, ranchhand.  I had some success last night, but haven't completely fixed the problem.

There was no critical data.  The husband using this computer for gaming and casual browsing. I was able to get the Windows 7 copy for free (with product key) from when I was enrolled at a college who had some arrangement with Microsoft.  I tried to look for downloads with my product key, but couldn't find anything.  

I absolutely kept the CD software for my drivers.   :)  

So here's what I was able to manage last night..

My boot order in UEFI Bios is still messed up, but I was able to bypass it.  On start up, I hit f12 for the boot menu and then esc for "use default options."  (I had the copy of windows 10 i purchased online and burned to DVD in the optical drive)

The install process started again (I had success before with install start up, but always experienced issues)

I chose to begin the installation process with the advanced controls.  From there, I was able to view my partitions.  There were 3.  One had a type "system", one was unallocated space, and the third (and largest) partition.  I assumed the third was where Windows 7 was installed, so I formatted that partition and installed Windows 10 there.  After the computer restarted during installation, I had to repeat my process to bypass the boot order.  But I was (FINALLY) able to successfully install windows 10!! I'm scared to mess with anything in BIOS now, but if you know anything about the GIGABYTE UEFI boot options, that would be awesome.  

Thank you again for taking time to try and help me!  This has been a true learning process for me!

#11 MegY424

MegY424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

You state that you purchased Windows 10...from where?

If you know that your Win 7 install was corrupt...why would you try to install Win 10 over it?  The simple thing to do is to clean install.

Good installed on top of Bad...equals Bad, IMO.  It seems that you are trying to salvage something that went wrong from the beginning.  The cure for such would be a clean install.

In any case...the first thing that should be done before attempting to install any O/S...would be to verify that the hard drive has no problems.  This is done by running a hard drive diagnostic.  Once it's apparent that the hard drive itself has no problems...a clean install will result in deletion of the current troublesome file system and Windows install.  Which is probably why it was suggested by MS.

Louis

Hi Louis!

Thank you for the helpful reply  I purchased Windows  from the Microsoft website.  Before yesterday, I was encountering a Windows Boot Manager error when I tried to clean install.  When chatting with the tech from Microsoft, he was unfamiliar with how to correct the issue in BIOS too.  My previous post explains what I was able to accomplish last night, but do you think formatting the partition was enough?  I am now able to work from within Windows if there is more you think I should do.  I do believe Windows 7 is still installed, but I haven't explored it too much as of this moment... I was just happy to get to a point where Windows was functioning.  :)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

A working system is a good system :).

Let us know if any problems develop.

Formatting erases the previous file structure (good and bad) and, of course, is the initial step of any clean install.  Nice work :)1

Louis

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Yup, sounds like you took care of it. Good Work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users