Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep Losing My List Of Useful Start-run Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

Over the years, I have collected a series of programs that always are available in my Start, Run prompt. There are many and I sometimes have to scroll for them. An example would be: sfc / scannow, or %systemroot%, devices.msc, etc. I love having them there and never mean to delete them. I never write them down, so after they keep getting deleted by one or more of the many cleaning programs, I have to slowly rebuild my start run group of programs again!! My question is really two:

1) Every cleaning program that I use and there are many, I always uncheck any and all references to avoid deleting these programs from the Start-Run area or whatever the closest choice may be. I am ok for a while until I find a new cleaning utility that I thought I've instructed to leave those programs alone, and they somehow get removed by a command I missed to uncheck!! Is there a different wording or reference that I should be looking for that is called something else that is deleting my start -run files?

2) Since I never have written them down other than keeping them in the Run Prompt, Can you tell me where I can find the many practical utility programs that can be run from that prompt?
Like: sfc, winipcfg, device.msc, services.msc, and other practical utilities that are usually hard to run or find from their real source. This time I will make a directory and save these files, and better yet, find the cleaning command on whatever utility I have that keeps deleting these files.

I feel stupid asking such a dumb question, but as a novice, I know you will understand what I mean and help me correct this stupid novice mistake!!

Thank you very much,

Miles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

Being a novice should keep you far away from any program that alters, changes or deletes anything from the registry, otherwise sooner or later you will have to learn how to reinstall Windows XP.

What you have listed above, for the most part are commands not programs, and even many of those should not be used unless you know exactly what you are doing.

#3 Miles

Miles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

Being a novice should keep you far away from any program that alters, changes or deletes anything from the registry, otherwise sooner or later you will have to learn how to reinstall Windows XP.

What you have listed above, for the most part are commands not programs, and even many of those should not be used unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Thanks Enthusiast,

However, I still use these commands as a novice and use registry cleaners like Registry Booster, System Mechanic, And CClean. Possibly I under rated my level of skill and should ask, What registry entries may be the ones that are being deleted or revised that are deleting my commands from the Start-Run command?

In any event, if you know, I would appreciate any help or advice you may have to make the appropriate changes, even registry edits, or exclusions to the registry cleaners, to correct my problem. I have always unchecked the cleaning of, "Start Run" areas in all cleaning of files or references to this area in registry cleaners when available.

I have a home network of computers and I keep them all clean, updated, and free of malware as much as possible. I guess I'm a step above a real novice, however, I'm novice enough to ask for the answer to my problem, which I thought might be fairly easy.

Therefore, I would greatly appreciate any further help or support you may have to resolve my problem.

Thank You very much,

Sincerely,

M.E. Stone, M.D.

#4 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:03 AM

maybe this is what you're looking for,

http://www.fixmyxp.com/content/view/20/42/

good luck

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:02 AM

There are several entries that affect what's stored in the dropdown for the Run dialog. The most common are the MRU's (Most Recently Used) - and to "fix" this you'd have to use RegEdit to adjust the values for the appropriate MRU values.

Since you use other registry tools I'd advise against using RegEdit - too many changes can make things very unstable!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users