Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some opinions on this power up issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Trufflelshuffle03

Trufflelshuffle03

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

Ok My pc is having powering up issues Its a Dell Insspiron 3847 the only original thing basically is  the cpu which is  intel Core i5 (4th Gen) 4440 / 3.1 GHz.  its a quad core with 

Intel H81 Express chip set. Every thing else has been upgraded the graphics card is a msi gtx 950 the pwer supply was also upgraded to 450 watt  and it has two hard drives. The other day I shut if off and now it acts like its not getting power at all. I have gotten it  to power up twice since it started doing this about two weeks ago.It is 2015 or 16 dell that has been upgraded basically since the day I bought it. . When it is powered up it  boots  up fine  it works fine no over heating or anything and everything works great but as soon as I shut it down thats it and it wont come back on and it acts as if it dose not have any power at all going to it. It will not even cycle when you hold the power button down and usually the fans will kick on if you do that. Just looking for some opinions on what may cause the issue, I have a gut feeling its got to do with the power supply but I would like to know what else may be causing this. 

• Intel Core i5 (4th Gen) 4440 / 3.1 GHz
  • Max Turbo Speed
    3.3 GHz
  • Number of Cores
    Quad-Core
  • Chipset Type
    Intel H81 Express
CACHE MEMORY

Edited by Trufflelshuffle03, 01 March 2017 - 12:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

I think you gut feeling is right. Your power supply was probably overloaded and has started malfunctioning. I'd try disconnecting the graphics card and the other secondary hard drive. Another thing you could try is replacing/reseating the CMOS battery... and check the connections in the case as sometimes things get loose.

Good luck!!!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Trufflelshuffle03

Trufflelshuffle03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

I think you gut feeling is right. Your power supply was probably overloaded and has started malfunctioning. I'd try disconnecting the graphics card and the other secondary hard drive. Another thing you could try is replacing/reseating the CMOS battery... and check the connections in the case as sometimes things get loose.

Good luck!!!

I dn't think it was over loaded but could be but I was assured when I bought the power supply it was optimal for the set up. I have I had the computer up and running over a year with that set up like that just fine but the power supply is older  over two years old and may be starting to fail. I had bought the power supply brand new but the computer I had put it in the psu died and I placed it in this one. 

Edited by Trufflelshuffle03, 03 March 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Yeah it probably wasn't overloaded... what was I saying! It could just be poor quality — what's the make and model?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Trufflelshuffle03

Trufflelshuffle03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

Yeah it probably wasn't overloaded... what was I saying! It could just be poor quality — what's the make and model?

It's

Antec VP-450 450W 

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

That's okay. Is the PSU fan coming on? Try following these instructions — use extreme caution or you may be electrocuted!

https://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/

#7 Trufflelshuffle03

Trufflelshuffle03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Ya um Im I will let the omputer experts handle that lol. Im supposed to take it in sometime today or monday so figure I will just let them do it. I really don't  want to mess it up anymore than its already messed up. I am fine putting in graphics cards and small things like that but I try to stay away from anything with electric shock lol. 

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

Alright, I can totally understand! :) I don't think there's much we can do, until someone has a chance to test your power supply.

Good luck!

#9 Trufflelshuffle03

Trufflelshuffle03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Alright, I can totally understand! :) I don't think there's much we can do, until someone has a chance to test your power supply.

Good luck!

Well if its not the power supply I will jump back on here and see where I should go from there.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Absolutely — please feel free to come back!!! We are always happy to help.

#11 Trufflelshuffle03

Trufflelshuffle03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Well I  was right it was the power supply but I did not take my computer to my usual place because my usual place said they could not run a diagnostic just on the power supply.  The place I took it to had me leave it a few days and today when I called they told me they ordered the part and was about ready to install it. The only problem was I never gave them permission to do that only to run a diagnostic to find out if it was the power supply that was faulty.  It was going to cost me over 150 for the part and install they were charging me $75 for just the evga  400 W power supply that is about $29 on amazon. I was not very happy but glad I caught it before the actually installed the part and told them I was not ready for them to do any of that. I got some more bad news when I went to my usual place to see what they had in Power supply and found out they would need to order them but the person that does all  my computer work quit for a better paying job which is a bummer as he was only person there I really trusted to do the work. I am going to either order the same 450 w power supply I had in the computer which  was a  or order an evga  500W power supply for 39.00 

Edited by Trufflelshuffle03, 09 March 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

I just now saw this post, so if you don't mind me jumping in here....I suggest you purchase a power supply tester. It will be one of the best investments you can make if you have future problems. A PS is very hard to diagnose unless you have a tester that will test all the power leads to see if they are rendering correct voltages. Here is one that I have been using for about 4 years with no problems. I can't begin to tell you how many times this has saved me hours of troubleshooting a computer when it comes in with "a problem". You would have found your problem within 5 minutes, and saved you a lot of tension in the process. Once I had two orders for computers and ordered two power supplys; when they arrived I tested them both, and they were both bad! Voltage fluctions were all over the map on every cable, probably would have fried the motherboards in an instant if I had installed them. Just 2 days ago a computer came in the would not power-up, and I verified a bad PS within 10 minutes.

Just a thought.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users