Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Macrium Reflect gone after Reflect 7 release?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

Website shows only a trial option for downloading now, with no free/personal use options, and, no chances to get at earlier versions....

Pity, I liked it, too! (Still have Version 6, will use it for a while I guess)

Website acts as if Version 6 is there, but, links to anything other than Version 7 trial are now gone....

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

It's possible Macrium still hasn't had time to put up the free page since they just came out with version 7. If they dropped the free version that would be unfortunate but for my purposes V6 is fine. 

Aoemi Backupper and Easeus Todo Backup Free are still available.

Edit: Majorgeeks has the lastest version 6 updated 2/26/2017. If I can remember correctly the free version of V6 came out considerably later than the paid versions. This may be the same case here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

oldapps.com and oldversion.com often carry previous free versions

Edited by RolandJS, 02 March 2017 - 11:10 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Related to MR7, for Windows 7 Professional, what advantages are within 7 that are not within 6?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

From what I can tell, not much. Not enough to opt in for a paid version. Free version is still at 6. It will be awhile before the free version catches up with the paid version. This is what happened when V6 came out. The free version was at V5 for quite awhile before going to V6.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

yes, I have 6 Free installed currently, and like it; it compares quite well to Acronis, IMO....

Which is why I'd hate to see the (updated for newer chipsets, OS updates, etc) free version disappear...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:45 AM

As JohnC_21 hypothesised above, v7 Free release should be made available after the v7 paid release has settled down.

I can't find it now, but I'm fairly sure I've seen a post from a Macrium employee stating that the v7 free edition will be made available "a couple of months" after the paid release.

Probably not a bad thing as the improvements are small and the initial releases are having a few teething issues (the the Macrium support forum). Having said that they are being super-speedy about addressing the issues. Since v7 paid release late on the 27th, they have released two patches already (the second one including a fix for a non-critical GUI annoyance that I'd reported just 34 hours earlier).

x64

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

I just made backups on two computers, and MR free updated with no problems. If they drop the free edition, then I will purchase. Well worth it, IMHO.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

As many have said version 6 does quite well for most versions of Windows and in fact reading the changes in 7 version, I am not ,convinced the upgrade right now is really necessary as most of what I read is very increased speed of differential and incremental backups and restores and I find 6 quite impressive in speed now for all functions. And as many have said free version usually comes months later anyway. Also made mention is faster entrance to backup image files and once aghain I see nothing wrong with version 6 for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users