Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Run DLL error on startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mars_ha

mars_ha

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

Immediately after uninstalling two Visual Studio 2012's, x64 and x86 Redistributables by AVG technologies, received this Run DLL error on reboot. "There was a problem starting C:\Windows\System32\LogiLDA.dll - the specified module could not be found."

I understand it's the Logitech Download Assistant that's the problem, but I can't successfully uninstall "USB input device" driver and (scan for hardware changes) under "Action" tab. Only get (help) showing up under there for me. So can't get the driver to update from Microsoft with Logitech ware. Advice taken while searching for an answer to stop the annoying pop up error every time I log on!

I'm on a HP TouchSmart Notebook (originally 8.1) now upgraded to Win 10. Don't plan on installing AVG product, but should I do a "system restore" anyway and keep the programs? Don't understand the connection, myself. :\

Thanks in advance for reading! :)

Edited by mars_ha, 28 February 2017 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

See if this helps: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/problem-starting-logilda-dll-windows

#3 mars_ha

mars_ha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

First, thanks ! :)

Allan, I came to a dead end in Task Manager.

I opened Task Manager ..... clicked on Startup tab ..... right clicked on Logitech Download Assistant, (which did show: was enabled), but was unable to Disable ..... menu option was greyed out.

Tried to click on it anyway, but to no avail. Was wondering if I should still proceed on to the Registry for the remaining steps.

Press Win + R ..... type in REGEDIT ..... backup Registry ..... go to <HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run> key

Find Logitech Download Assistant ..... Delete the entry ..... and Reboot computer for changes. 

Thanks again, Allan!

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

If errors are made while editing the registry it can result in rendering your computer inoperable.  In your own words you do not consider yourself to be "techie".  If you have never even looked in the registry you may find that editing the registry could be "techie".  I'm not suggesting that you should or shouldn't try this edit, but I would certainly suggest that you backup the registry before going there.

To backup the registry please download and install Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

Play the video below for operating instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

If your registry edit does not solve the problem then download AutoRuns and do a search for LogiLDA.dll. Uncheck the box to any entry found. Reboot and if the computer does not throw the error and runs normally then you can click on the entries in AutoRuns and then the red X in the menu bar to remove them.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

#6 mars_ha

mars_ha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Nevermind. :D Needed to be logged in as Administrator. Thought of that and tried it from there. Usually, the option to Run as Administrator will pop up to allow for Computer's password entry,

so expected it would allow in standard account.

Thanks, Arachibutyrophobia and JohnC_21 for your advice!

Special THANKS to Allan!!! Seems to have corrected the Run error so far! :)  

#7 mars_ha

mars_ha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Got rid of the pop up, YAY!!!! :)

Now, after receiving the very FIRST pop up, thought of using a different AV to see if dealing with a possible virus problem. Chose one with highest recommendation for what I wanted out of AV. Previously,

was using Windows Defender, so felt concerned, especially since upgraded from 8.1 to Win10 (via the FREE upgrade.)

It successfully discovered and removed a Trojan Horse from Local App Data. So, when I uninstalled the Visual Studios 2012 (x86 and x64) Redistributables by AVG Technologies from installed programs, 

one (or possibly, both) of those Redistributables were infected, causing the Run error because files were corrupted? :\   

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Do you currently have two antiviruses installed on this computer?

If you found a Trojan I would suggest that you need to run several security programs to see what else is found.  I'm going to post some instructions for these programs below.  The problem is that these tools can not be used in the Windows forums, so I will request that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Please post the logs or requested information from these scan in your topic.  Run the scans in the order they are requested, then post the logs in the order that they were run.

Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

The log for the TDSSKiller can be very long.  If you go to the bottom of the log to where you find Scan finished you will see the results of the scan.  If it shows Detected object count: 0 and Actual detected object count: 0, this means that nothing malicious was found and you will not need to post the log.

1.  Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

tdss1_zps90132559.png

2.  Check Loaded Modules, Verify Driver Digital Signature, and Detect TDLFS file system.

If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now.

tdsskillermultiple_zps472c18eb.png

3.  Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run.

tdss4_zps6792a13c.png

4.  If threats are detected select Cure (if available) for all of them unless otherwise instructed.

***Do NOT select Delete!

Click on Continue.

tdss5_zps98fc5887.png

5.  Click on Reboot computer.

Please copy the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt file found in your root directory (typically c:\) and paste it into your next reply.

Note:  The log may be very long.  You may need to break it into parts to post the whole log.

Post this in your topic.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  You will see an image like the one below, click on Update Now.  

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

3)  Click on Settings, you will see a image like the one below.

malware%20settings_zpsixkea5sd.png

When Settings opens click on Detection and Protection, then under Non-Malware Protection, click on the down arrow for PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detections and select Treat detections as malware.  Under Detection Options place a check in the box for Scan for rootkits

4)  Click on Scan (next to Settings), then click on Scan Now.  The scan will automatically run now.

5)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the entire log in your topic.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive the following message.

adwcleaner%20111_zpsiduqrrrp.png  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run
till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need
to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that
    here
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats ([color=redonly available if ESET Online Scanner found something
  • ).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Edited by dc3, 03 March 2017 - 02:17 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 mars_ha

mars_ha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Arachibutyrophobia, did think of Malwarebytes, too. They've caught some, now and then. ;) 

Read more about my problem with everything concerning startup with that annoying popup. Bitdefender (free version of AV) automatically deleted the "OneDrive"!! Others complained of same problem with Bitdefender doing that. :(

Thanks, for your advice! Will definitely scan with Malwarebytes! 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

Please run the scans I've requested and post the logs in your topic.

Additionally, please do the following.

Please download Security Check by Screen317.

Double click on the download and choose to run the program.

A screen similar to the one below will open, click any key to run the program.

securitycheck_zpscfb86945.png

When the scan is finished there will be a log, copy and then paste the log in your next post.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

Nevermind. :D Needed to be logged in as Administrator. Thought of that and tried it from there. Usually, the option to Run as Administrator will pop up to allow for Computer's password entry,

so expected it would allow in standard account.

Thanks, Arachibutyrophobia and JohnC_21 for your advice!

Special THANKS to Allan!!! Seems to have corrected the Run error so far! :)  

Good to hear!!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users