Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome Saved Passwords Viewing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

Why is it that in Kubuntu 14.04 I can view my saved passwords in Chrome without entering my "Windows" password in a popup yet in Windows 10 I must enter the password? 

Moved from Linux to Web Browsing as this is a Windows issue not Linux

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 28 February 2017 - 08:26 PM.
Mod Edit

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Why is it that in Kubuntu 14.04 I can view my saved passwords in Chrome without entering my "Windows" password in a popup yet in Windows 10 I must enter the password? 

Moved from Linux to Web Browsing as this is a Windows issue not Linux

NickAu

Thank you.

HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

Are you running an app such as CCleaner to delete browsing history on Windows 10 before logging out or shutting down? If so, then for Google Chrome, you should make sure that only the Internet Cache, Download History, and Compact Databases are checked, uncheck the rest. If you're constantly having to reenter the password, then you're doing something to sign out. 

Some of the extensions (add-ons), such as 'Click & Clean' can do the same if these boxes are checked. So the bottom line is, there's something you're doing (unknowingly) that's causing you to be signed out of Google, you simply need to find out the cause. :)

It's likely a simple issue to figure out on Windows 10. That's why when I run 3rd party cleaners, will deselect many of the pre-checked boxes, and place a check in some that aren't. 

Good Luck with hunting down the cause, it's likely staring you in the face. :thumbup2:

If you have any more issues, please keep posting until the issue is resolved. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Thanks guys. Not signed in to Google and no third parties in Windows 10. I'll check to see if a third party snuck into my add-ons in Windows Chrome.

#5 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

I'll be back (hopefully) when  get my laptop back.In order to check add-ons in Chrome in Windows 10, I restarted the laptop to Windows and it immediately went into what appeared to be one of those long, full blown Windows 10 updates. After about an hour it was around 25% when it went (guessing here) to my list of boot options screen and froze up. I'm now in the Linux / Unix area asking for help. Can't win for losing.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:42 AM

May be the recently anticipated update, I've not booted into Windows 10 for nearly a week. :P

Will see what happens on my one of my systems. :)

Recently, the Skype extension was corrupted on mine, so removed, as I have an icon on the Panel anyway, don't need it on all of my browsers. 

BTW, if this is a dual boot computer, hopefully you have Fast Startup (aka known as 'FastBoot' ) disabled. It's not recommended for dual booting on a UEFI computer, or at least Windows 8 & newer and any Linux version, otherwise there'll be data loss. For many, it's a 'not so good' feature anyway, in particular for those who runs SSD's. Here's how to enable/disable the feature, you have two different options, though if using the 2nd option, be sure to download & save both files so that in the future you need to re-enable, you can. 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Good Luck! :)

EDIT: Just checked a Windows 10 system for updates, there were only three usual monthly ones, so suggest that you check the Fast Startup setting to ensure it's disabled, will most certainly cause file corruption of all kinds. You'd be lucky if it were only the browser. If this isn't the issue, then more tests may be needed to determine the cause. So far, with the exception of that Skype extension, Google Chrome has performed well & held settings, including opening pages, on all of my computers. When this isn't happening on a particular install, there's an issue somewhere. 

Plus as long as you have your username/password, you can always use Revo Uninstaller Free to remove Chrome, including browser data (you may be asked this), and fresh install Google Chrome. That's the first thing I'd recommend trying after ensuring that Fast Startup is disabled, have had to do this in the past, though has been some time back (3 years or longer). There's times when this is the only fix, though from what I'm hearing above:

I restarted the laptop to Windows and it immediately went into what appeared to be one of those long, full blown Windows 10 updates. After about an hour it was around 25% when it went (guessing here) to my list of boot options screen and froze up

Since Windows 10 in installed before Linux, any issues with this OS needs to resolved first. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 04 March 2017 - 02:49 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

Thanks cat. I believe we're good here. Appreciate your help. BTW, no third parties in add-ons and it still requires Windows password to view stored passwords. I was just curious as to no requirement when using Chrome in Unix. No biggie other than I don't like being told what to do at times.  :)

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:00 AM

Maybe I misunderstood your question, it happens to all of us. :)

After re-reading your initial post (OP) carefully, it's not that there's anything wrong with Google Chrome, you simply want to know about the password requirements, is that correct? :question:

That's more of a 'Windows vs Linux difference as I understand what you're asking after a 2nd, closer, look. Both type of OS's are entirely different, neither resembles another in any way, although both uses the same browsers (other than IE/Edge, Google Chrome 32 bit), however any of these are installed differently. 

When you're running Google Chrome on Linux (or UNIX), while the browsing experience is the same, as are saved bookmarks & extensions (some that's compatible with Windows won't be with Linux/UNIX). You don't need to provide your Windows 10 password, because it's irrelevant to running it on Kubuntu 14.04. Windows passwords should be asked for, except in extreme matters (example, to view a BitLocker enabled drive that's locked down), and you'd still need certain software installed to accomplish this. 

When you're running the same browser on Windows 10, or any Windows version, the rules for that OS applies. Every brand of OS has it's own rules, this applies to Android (actually some Linux relation) & Mac, which has it's own standards. This is what's ran into when running more than one OS & is not uncommon. <_<

I believe after reading your question much closer a 2nd & finally 3rd time, it's one line simple question, as quoted above. Hopefully I've caught the differences on some of these & have helped to somewhat understand, I have questions of my own to which there are solutions, and the 'fix' used to simply happen, yet no more. Now one must 'fix' Linux & Windows if dual booting, otherwise the UEFI (or BIOS) time is thrown off by several hours. As stated, us long timers to Linux didn't always have to fix this, maybe it has to do with UEFI now being the de facto standard, and why the change, it's the only reason I can come up with. Prior to 2012, I don't recall having to apply such fixes. 

So we all have our own 'mystery' questions regarding differences, some are ignored, because there's a one time set & forget fix, yet I'd rather know why the difference, and believe you're asking the same about Google Chrome. If so, it's one of those lurky questions that we can't provide an exact answer to, other than that Linux is not the same as Windows, and therefore so are the timezones, if not fixed. 

Note too, that on Linux, when requested, passwords are hidden by default, so if you're asked for one, you're not going to see it. This is for your protection only & nothing else. :)

Cat

#9 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, at times my questions could likely use a professional editor. I was only wondering why if required to enter my Windows (actually it's the computer login password) in Chrome while using Windows, that the same requirement wasn't levied by Google Chrome when in Linux or any other OS. It must be a Microsoft thing and not a Google Chrome Requirement. I really prefer and like Linux. But it kicks my tail. I feel one needs to be a systems type person to avoid living in forums like this asking for help on a frequent basis. Akin to being a GM mechanic because I drive a Chevy. I just want to drive. :)

#10 Mallues

Mallues

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Chrome saves the login credentials in Windows Vault (also called Credential Manager). For security purpose, Windows asks you to enter login password before letting you view chrome saved passwords. You can also use third-party password tools which lets you view the saved passwords directly, without requiring your account password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users