Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD On Startup and OS Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SwimsLikeAx

SwimsLikeAx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

OS - Windows 8.1 x64 (8.1 associated with reports. Also used Win 10 and Ubuntu)

Full Retail

Brand new system

Multiple clean installs

i7 6700k - no overclock

EVGA 1080 - also used intel integrated graphics

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha (3101 and 2202)

G Skill F4-3600C17Q-16GVK (running at 2133MHz)

Corsair RM750x power supply

home-built desktop.

I started building this system with Windows 10, and was experiencing increasing BSOD. I updated all drivers, disabled any unnecessary hardware, tried system restore, SFC, malwarebytes etc... Still BSOD. Tried multiple clean installs under multiple hardware configurations on each of the following drives: 950 Pro SSD, old samsung evo 256gb ssd, WD black 2TB hdd. No luck. I tried 1 stick of RAM at a time, and another set of ram. Ran memtest86 for 12 passes on both sets of ram with no errors.

Ran chkdsk on all disks with no errors.

Tested with a known working power supply.

Ubuntu seemed to work with the i7, and a Pentium G4400 also seemed to work with Windows 10 (same hardware otherwise), although, these were not tested for very long. Both were stress tested for a bout 24hrs which would usually produce a crash on 8.1 or 10. 

Windows 10 also seems to have difficulty even installing. Sometimes I get a BSOD when installing, starting up, or just after signing in. Windows 8 installed without any errors. I am currently installing every possible update for Windows 8.1, and I will try to run Driver Verifier over the next couple of days.

I also just got another motherboard that I will test this weekend. 

I will update as I go. If anything jumps out as a problem, please let me know.

Thank you!

UPDATE***: Just finished installing all updates for Windows 8.1, including the optional ones. Turned on Driver Verifier as instructed in the forums and got two IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs pretty quickly after signing in. I'll try to let it run overnight, and then upload the dmp files tomorrow.

Attached Files

Edited by SwimsLikeAx, 28 February 2017 - 09:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

I guess this must be hardware-related BSODs. Please run ALL (ALL!!!) these hardware diagnostics. You may skip the ones you have already run.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 SwimsLikeAx

SwimsLikeAx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'll be able to run those this weekend.

#4 SwimsLikeAx

SwimsLikeAx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

I've run all of the diagnostic categories, including anti-virus and rootkit. I just wanted to comment that Prime95 can run stable for quite a while, and Intel's processor diagnostic passes every test multiple times (I haven't gotten it to fail), but MajorGeeks stability test BSODs within a few seconds. I'm going to try the CPU with a different motherboard and see how that goes. I've also uploaded the dmp files in case they can be of any use.

Attached Files

#5 SwimsLikeAx

SwimsLikeAx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

It looks like my cpu is probably faulty. I tried all the same hardware except I replaced the motherboard with an ASRock H170A-X1. Installed Windows 10, installed all of WIndows updates, updated all drivers, and then ran MajorGeeks Stability test. It crashed with the same ntoskrnl + xxxxx type of errors. I'll run the same motherboard with my Pentium just to be sure, but it seems that all other options have been ruled out.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me!

On a related note, do you know of any good resources for learning how to analyze minidumps?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

You could be right. The best test for a CPU is swapping it with another CPU. This is a nice tutorial on how to start debugging BSODs.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 SwimsLikeAx

SwimsLikeAx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

It turned out it was the CPU. I RMAed the processor to Intel and received a new one. I have been up and running for about 4 days with no blue screens and plenty of stress testing. Thanks again for your help!

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that the issue was resolved. :)

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 29 March 2017 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users