Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen - Asus Zenbook - Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duckworth

duckworth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

Details:  Intel Core I3-2367, 4GB, Windows 8.1 - Asus Zenbook

Issue: Working along (web surf, excel) then laptop screen suddenly goes black.  Laptop still running.  Hard reboot (long press).  On restart - still black laptop screen.

Actions Taken and Results:
Action 1)  Connect laptop to external monitor via HDMI and reboot (Standard Startup)
Result 1)  Windows logo and spinning dots now visible.  After a few seconds no signal to external monitor (timeout).  Monitor goes to sleep.  

Action 2) Windows Diagnostics - Advanced Options - Startup Repair
Result 2) No Issues found.

Action 3) Boot into safe mode via Windows Diagnostics - Advanced Options - Startup Settings using external monitor via HDMI
Result 3) Safe Mode boot successful  (for all below actions assume in safe mode)

Action 4) Attempt - System Configuration - Diagnostic Startup (standard reboot with all Startup Items disabled - "basic devices and services only")
Result 4) same issue as before (Windows logo and spinning dots)

Action 5) Attempt - System Restore
Result 5) No restore points

Action 6) SFC/Scannow from command prompt (admin)
Result 6) Complete. No integrity violations found.

Action 7) Chkdsk /r on drives
Result 7) Complete.  No problems found.

Action 8) Device Manager
Result 8) 3 devices with yellow alert icons
A) Generic PnP Monitor (status is not available for this device when Windows is running in safe mode)

B ) IWD Bus Enumerator (The drivers for this device are not installed)
C) USB 2.0 - CRW (The drivers for this device are not installed) - strange because all USB ports are working

Action 9) Event Viewer / Logs
Result 9) Only significant (error/warning/critical) events (as far as I can tell) around the time of the monitor going black (not necessarily related) are...
A) Warning: Volume C: Requires an Online Scan. An Online Scan will automatically run as part of the next scheduled maintenance task.
B )  Error: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C:  The exact nature of the corruption is unknown.  The file system structures need to be scanned online.
C) Warning: The driver WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI

Questions:
1) What is the likely cause of the laptop monitor (black screen) failure?
2) What is the likely cause of the standard boot failure?
3) Does (chkdsk /r) cover the functionality of an "Online Scan" (and more)?

(/scan)              NTFS only: Runs a online scan on the volume
 (/offlinescanandfix)  Runs an offline scan and fix on the volume.
 (/R)                  Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
                      (implies /F, when /scan not specified).

4) How do I fix the above laptop monitor (black screen) and standard boot failures?

Thanks.

Edited by duckworth, 28 February 2017 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Go back to the Device manager and open each item with the warning, uninstall the driver and restart the computer.  Do this with all three of the items with warnings.    When the computer is restarted a new driver will be installed.

Let us know what the status is after this is done.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 duckworth

duckworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

1) Should I uninstall the driver for the "Generic PnP Monitor" even though the warning alert mentions it is because I am running in safe mode?

2) I was wondering if I should also uninstall the driver for the "Display Adapter".  Even though it has no yellow warning, it may be related as per the following post:

"Windows 7: Broken laptop screen - only detects external monitor safe mode"

https://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/276956-broken-laptop-screen-only-detects-external-monitor-safe-mode.html

This solved a very similar issue for them.

My current display adapter driver version is as follows

Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Driver date: 5/28/2015

Driver Version: 9.17.10.4229

The drivers on Asus website seem old, the most recent graphics driver is 2/8/2014

https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-UX32A/HelpDesk_Download/

Intel Graphics Driver - Version V10.18.10.3345.01 -  2014/02/08

nVidia Graphics Driver - Version V9.18.13.3182 - 2013/12/26

Intel Graphics Driver - Version V10.18.10.3308.02 - 2013/11/18

Drivers on Intel website seem more recent than Asus:

"15.28.24.64.4229 (9.17.10.4229)"

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81500/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000

3)  If I uninstall the drivers for the monitor or display adapter, could this affect my ability to continue working on external monitor in safe mode?  In other words, might it prohibit me from being able to view Device Manager in order to roll back the driver to the previous installed version or continue troubleshooting?

4) Do I need to reboot in "safe mode with networking"?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Just do what I suggested, delete the drivers with the yellow warning and restart the computer.  After this let us know how it's running and we can go on from there if it's needed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users