Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**Wanting to do a clean install**

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LilDove

LilDove

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hello,

I started this thread yesterday but I got discussing a different problem so will stay focused on this one.

I have an Hp Envy dv6 that came installed with Windows 8. I would like to do clean install...I've saved everything I need into folders and will put them on a drive. I have my programs on discs that I want to add back. I have the Hp Recovery discs that they sent to me. I don't know how to locate the key.. 

I have to install using my external optical drive ( hoping this alright to do).

I'm wondering, do I have to install Windows 8 back on? I have Windows 8.1 that I purchased when it first came out and wondering if I can put that on here instead. My laptop has never wanted to upgrade to windows 8.1 or windows 10. When I tried to upgrade to 10 back in July last year, I got an error code- 

0xC1900101-0x2000C The installation failed in the safe OS phase with an error during apply image operation. 

I would really like to have Windows 10. My other laptop which is an Hp Dv5 did it flawlessly and I really like the format. 

I also did a sfc/scannow yesterday and have the finding for that. Said that it found corrupted files and repaired them but I have the log.

I hope I have explained what I would like to do the end result would be windows 10.

**Also, I have not received any windows updates in forever and I check everyday.

Thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Firstly, you do not need to use the purchased 8.1 key because the key for Windows 8, which is embedded in firmware, works for any 8.1 install. You can use the 8.1 install disk and when it asks for a key simply click next without entering any key. 

If you reinstalled Windows 8 with the recovery disks you would need to update to 8.1 through the Windows store. Because you are using the 8.1 install disk you may need to install some additional drivers such as WiFi. 

You can also create bootable media of 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool.

Though the key is embedded in firmware you can verify it by downloading FirmwareTablesView. Look under the MSDM table for your Windows key.

As far as I know the Windows 10 free upgrade is over but people have reported that after installing Windows 10 it still gets activated. If you plan on doing this then I would highly recommend you create a complete disk image to an USB external hard drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free or Aomei Backupper Standard, also free. 

On the computer that is not receiving updates, what OS is installed. If Windows 8 Microsoft has stopped pushing updates to Windows 8 and only patches 8.1.

Edit: Follow this guide for a clean install of Windows 8.1

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#3 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

Hi and thank you...

I didn't know that about windows 8..kinda makes my laptop more vulnerable than ever. 

I haven't uninstalled or did a clean install yet. I haven't done a clean install ever, so I do have to use the windows 8 or can I bypass that and use the windows 8.1 disc? If in doing a clean install, can't I purchase windows 10 from like best buy or like that and load it on? Like I said before, I've tried loading windows 8.1 through the windows store when it first came available and my laptop wouldn't do it. I even had to send it to Texas to get it put back to normal. They had no idea what caused the issue. I have really enjoyed this laptop. When it is running good, it is awesome. Like right now, it is so quite. I can hear the fan running but faintly. My goal is to be able to get to windows 10. Thank you again for your continued assistance!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

I think you will have better luck doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 rather than upgrading 8.1 from a existing 8 install. If you plan on wanting Windows 10 you could try installing 10 after clean installing Windows 8.1. Windows 10 may activate so allowing you a free upgrade. 

After the clean install of Windows 8.1 use the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 to install Windows 10 and see if it activates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You could try installing Windows 10 over your Windows 8 install but on a major OS upgrade things can always go wrong so as I previously posted you would be wise to create a complete disk image to an external hard drive. This would allow you to recover your OS in case things went south.

In any case I would not recommend you keep running Windows 8. Security Updates have no longer been pushed to this OS and there have been severe security holes that have been patched in 8.1 that are still open in 8.

#5 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

On my other laptop, not the one I want to upgrade..It came installed with windows 7, then I went to 8 and did the 8.1 and that is the part I can't remember if I used the windows store for that or used the windows 8.1 disc I had. My question is, If I used the operating disc on that computer to upgrade, will I be able to put it on this one? I'm thinking because of the product key. The other laptop has windows 10 which updated by itself. I think I had reserved windows 10 on that one. On this laptop, I'm pretty sure I didn't receive an invite to 10. Everytime I need to shut down this laptop, it will ask me about windows 8.1 through the windows store. I've tried that before..yikes!! So uninstall this>windows 8>clean install with windows 8.1? Don't put the windows 8 back on here?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

I am a little confused. Your above questions are in regard to the computer that originally had Windows 7 on it? If you went to Windows 8 then to 8.1 you have a key for Windows 8 or 8.1 correct? You can pull the Windows 8 key using Produkey and then reinstall Windows 8.1 using the key found by Produkey. Are you asking if you can upgrade to Windows 10 on the Windows 7 computer upgraded to 8.1? I can't say it will work. You would need to install Windows 10 and see if it will activate for you. Again. Before you do this I would recommend doing a complete disk image if things go wrong.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

If the computer is old enough the hardware may not be supported by Windows 10 but if the computer that originally had Windows 7 runs 8.1 fine then Windows 10 should also run fine but the key word is should.

#7 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

I'm so sorry..I didn't mean to be confusing... I was just giving a bit of info to my other laptop, which started off with windows 7 and now has 10. I was asking if I has at any time used the windows os 8.1 on the other laptop, would the product key be rejected on the one (this one) that I'm going to install it on. I'm sorry, I'm trying to explain best I can. I've had this laptop since sometime beginning of 2014.

A clean install on this computer will take everything off...How do I go about doing this? I'm getting a little excited and nervous. Is there anyway I can find out if this laptop will even accept windows 8.1? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

I was asking if I has at any time used the windows os 8.1 on the other laptop, would the product key be rejected on the one (this one) that I'm going to install it on.

Is the OS on "this one" Windows 8 and was it pre-installed from the factory with Windows 8? I believe that is correct? Installing Windows 8.1 on another computer should not affect this computer although you cannot use the same key.

The key in firmware would allow you to clean install 8.1 but you need to make sure the key is in firmware using FirmwareTablesView. 

Yes, a clean install will wipe everything. You would need to reinstall all your programs you added. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users