Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email problem.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_from_GA

Alex_from_GA

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:56 AM

Windows 10 Mozilla Thunderbird mail client.  My gmail accounts can't find the server; the ATT accounts work fine.  I'm on the IMAP mail server.  It worked fine until last week.  I get a message from Google to sign in to my Google account often but I'm already signed in.  Webmail works fine.  I'd like to get all my mail again on Thunderbird.  Thanks, Alex

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2017 - 08:24 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex_from_GA

Alex_from_GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

I am not able to receive emails from my google account, IMAP server, but am able to get them from an ATT account, POP.  It says, "can't connect to server".  As far as I know the account is configured correctly.  It's been working for several years and quit last week.  I don't know what "siteground" is.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

It could be that Google turned on two-step verification for your account and Thunderbird isn't using it.

I long ago turned off two-step verification and if you do a web search on same and Gmail you'll find instructions on how to check or change same.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Alex_from_GA

Alex_from_GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Brian,  I checked and twostep varification is off.  Need more help please.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Alex,

Were I you I would just delete the accounts in Thunderbird and re-create them.  With IMAP access all your messages are stored on the server so you just get them all back when the account is created anew again.

I really have no idea why this would occur suddenly.  I've got Gmail accounts setup in MS-Outlook 2010, Thunderbird, WLM 2012, & Opera Mail and they've been and continue to be working fine in all of them.  All I can imagine is that "something burped" in Thunderbird itself that's causing the issue.  Removing the account and re-creating it should at least tell you whether the problem persists.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Alex_from_GA

Alex_from_GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Brian,

I deleted my wife's account and re-created it and it works fine now but not mine.  I still says "failed to connect to server--my email address".  I get a box saying. "enter credentials for--my email address" when ever I try to send or receive mail.  I'm signed into Google and even changed my password.  I tried to contact Google but don't know how.  I don't think it's a Thunderbird problem anymore, just a Google problem.  Thanks for the help.

Alex

#7 Alex_from_GA

Alex_from_GA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

Case closed...  This afternoon I called my son and he figured the problem out and told me what to do to fix it.  The authentication method was blocking gmail.  He had me set it to normal password and tried it and it worked then I set it back to OAuth2 and everything is working as it should.  I never changed the settings so I don't know how it happened.  If any of you gmail people read this forum you should be aware of this glitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users