Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM missing or corrupt error

Recently I've started working on an old Dell tower that's been in my storage for a long time. It has some old pictures and other files that I'd really like to recover, but it's not a matter of great importance. I replaced the power supply, turned it on and the first thing that happened is the error message above.

Instructions for using the recovery console seemed simple enough, so I ordered a disk with all versions of xp and proceeded. There is a sticker on top of the tower that indicates xp professional, so I've assumed that is what is installed on this computer.

I found helpful instructions on youtube   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZe8YYkH4E&t=745s  and the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article ID: 307545   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

But when I went into Recovery Console rather than a starting prompt with

"C:\Windows"  as in the instructions,

I have

"C:\>" as if windows is not present at all.  I tried the commands from the instructions anyway, they are not recognized.

So my questions are why would this happen and what should I do? But there is more, as I seem to have further complicated the matter. I found the FIXBOOT command and ran it. Now I am getting

"NTLDR is missing"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,511 posts
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

When you get to the C: prompt in Recovery Console, type:

Dir (then press ENTER)

What do you see?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users