Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird intermittent touchpad outage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

I just returned from a week vacation. I took my creaky old Dell Inspiron 9400 running WinXP as I have done dozens of times in the past. It worked without a problem all during the vacation. On the way home, I tried to use it during the 6-hour cross-country flight. The first time I powered it up, the touchpad was acting up. It would sorta more the cursor, but it was herky-jerky and it would get stuck on borders of windows. The buttons worked fine. I was able to navigate somewhat using the keyboard and keyboard shortcuts, but could not get the touchpad to move the cursor reliably. I rebooted the PC 4-5 times. I also checked the mouse settings and everything looked oK.

After an hour or so, I gave up and put it away.

I just got home and set it up on my desk. It is working perfectly. The only difference is that here at home it is plugged into the cable modem via a cat5 cable. On the airplane, it would have had to use the in-plane WiFi, but I never got that far. On vacation, it was also not plugged into a cable and it worked fine,

Can anyone think of what might have been going on?

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Some issue with the wireless and touchpad drivers?  Normally updating the BIOS, Wireless, and Touchpad drivers had resolved the issue for me.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

I checked the touchpad drivfers and, as far as I can tell, they are as up to date as they can be on this old machine.

I don't think it's related to the wireless drivers because it worked fine on vacation, which was all wireless. I've since tested it here at home with both the cat5 and wireless connection and it works with both.

I guess it's just a glitch or one of those "mysteries of the universe" they used to talk about in Sunday School. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Your drivers may be the most current...but if they are damaged/corrupt, then they may malperform.  I would uninstall/reinstall the touchpad drivers.

Louis

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

Your drivers may be the most current...but if they are damaged/corrupt, then they may malperform.  I would uninstall/reinstall the touchpad drivers.

Louis

OK, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users