Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving revised file to same destination appends filename - spreadsheets

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

This is an annoying small problem, and I'm not sure if it is based on Windows 10, or Apache Open Office, but ordinarily, I do not otherwise have this problem.

I make a spreadsheet file using Apache O.O., in a Windows 10 machines.  Installation is fairly fresh and up to date, been on the machine maybe 2 months.  I gave a name, for example, theSheet_feb2017.xls.

After a few days, I add some information to the file  (saved and stored a copy in Documents on the computer and in a folder on a usb flash drive).  Now, I simply choose SAVE, since I want to keep the revised file without changing the name.  I still want this, now revised file, to be theSheet_feb2017.xls.  It seems to work and is this way in the Documents folder.  

Next, I want to MOVE using drag & drop, from C....Documents, to  E....whateverFolder, and I should expect this allow me to choose Replace, which is normally the choice which Windows will offer.  BUT that doesnot happen.  Instead, whether done by drag & drop, or by Edit, Copy, Paste, the saved file being MOVED becomes  theSheet_feb2017-Copy (2).   That AIN'T what is wanted.  Where was the choice for making the move(meaning to copy and paste)  as Replace instead of just allowing the Windows to append the "copy (2)" ?  Now, If I want the right end result, I need to rename the old version of the file, rename the revised version of the file (to remove the Copy (2) part of the name), and then maybe delete the old version of the file.

This problem seemed to not happen using Softmaker's PlanMaker in Windows 10; and this problem never happened when using any of the MS products in Windows Vista  (there, on which I use MS Works 9).

My question along with other possible questions, should be, how do I adjust WHAT, so that I can save a revised file, and then just drag  & drop or Edit - Copy - Pasted, and have JUST the revised file saved with the unchanged file name?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users