Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W10, 1st time user, and hate it !

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 alter501

alter501

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:08 PM

Even though I'm a computer novice, I've used Linux Mint for several years and love it.

Other than that, by necessity, I have several W7 computers and as I've got them down to how i want them, I don't mind W7 at all - I like it in fact.

Recently I've had to upgrade one of those laptops, so I've ended up with a new one loaded with W10, and all updates seem to have been done by now.

My opinion ? I hate it. It does nothing for me, it seems, but much for Microsoft; I am left with the overriding impression that rather that W10 being the product, that I am the product, and Microsoft will do what it wants with me.

I hate it. The menus are awful, the colours are washed out .. even the verbage in that stupid Contrata thing is awful and presumptuous.

Where is the improvements to W7 ? I can't see any. Just a bunch of junkware that it's taken me ages to remove. Even so, I am most unimpressed with the user interface - it's like a childs building block set compared to W7 and my wonderful Linux computers.

Edge ? A joke. I have installed Firefox and it's brilliant (even better than on Linux).

Mail ? What a confusing abortion - I had no idea which program i was using, but there was two different ones .. both containing my emails and I couldn't make heads or tails out of them. I quickly stopped using them, downloaded Thunderbird .. ahhhh ... thank heaven for Firefox and Thunderbird.

So, that said, I need help on some issues please.

1) W10 does not seem to like me creating desktop icons with links to web sites. In fact, it seems to make it positively difficult. With W7, I just simply right clicked on the web page .. send to desktop .. create shortcut .. DONE ! Alas - not so with W10; that does NOT come up. In the end, I had to pin it to the start menu, then do a menu tile for it, and only THEN could i drag it to desk top as a short cut .. but wait .. even then they (Microsoft) get their revenge (it seems) for all they give me is a white icon with a tiny, microscopic picture of the actual sites favicon (is that what it's called ?). And that is useless, because I can hardly see it if at all. WHY ??? Why did W7 easily give my a nice full size short cut whereas W10 does this ? And how can i fix this please ? I want a normal size icon to any web site I choose, on my desktop, without it being 95% white space, and without having to jump through hoops to get it.

2) How do I totally stop, kill, disable, or whatever .. that Contrata thing ? There seems to be no way. I simply DON"T want it, and will never use it.

3) How do I uninstall Edge ?

4) In the start menu, there is some junk about XBox and occasionally, I get prompts to activate my XBox account, etc. XBax .. good grief .. my grandson has an XBox .. but me ? How do I get rid of / uninstall this accursed thing ?

Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

Alf T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

1)  The easiest way to create desktop shortcuts for Websites (in Windows 8 and Windows 10) is to size your web browser window such that you can see part of your desktop then drag and drop from the web address box to the desktop.  I drag from the part of the address box that's just to the left of the address itself.  I just tried this from both Firefox and Chrome and it works like a charm.  I can't answer the "size of the icon in the field" part as I just don't care about that and have never gone through any gyrations to change it.

2) Cortana cannot be 100% disabled because Cortana is Windows Search at its core.  However, if you open settings and search on "Cortana & Search" you'll find some of the settings that allow you to turn off the "personal digital assistant" part.  Also see "Speech, Inking, & Typing" settings and if your machine is "getting to know you" then turn that off.  I don't know what it says when that's on as I turned it off ages ago, but when it's off the button on that page reads "Get to know me" because it's not actively doing so at the moment.  You can also remove anything from the cloud that is already "known about you" if you follow the links in Cortana & Search settings to do so.  Also, if you want your taskbar not to have the full search box then right click on the taskbar and under the Search context menu option choose either "Show Search Icon" or "Hidden"

3) You do not uninstall Edge.  It's a part of Windows 10 just like Internet Explorer was (and actually still is) a part of Windows.  If you don't want to use it just delete the icon from the taskbar and the start menu.

4) Can't answer about Xbox.  I simply deleted the icon from my start menu a long time ago and have never been bothered since.  I did the same with OneDrive, too, as I don't use it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

Recently I've had to upgrade one of those laptops, so I've ended up with a new one loaded with W10, and all updates seem to have been done by now.

My opinion ? I hate it. It does nothing for me, it seems, but much for Microsoft; I am left with the overriding impression that rather that W10 being the product, that I am the product, and Microsoft will do what it wants with me.

I hate it. 

If you do not like Windows, you should say it on the Microsoft feedback, not here. Here ain't nobody guilty, that you do not like.

#4 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:50 AM

1)  The easiest way to create desktop shortcuts for Websites (in Windows 8 and Windows 10) is to size your web browser window such that you can see part of your desktop then drag and drop from the web address box to the desktop.  I drag from the part of the address box that's just to the left of the address itself.  I just tried this from both Firefox and Chrome and it works like a charm.  I can't answer the "size of the icon in the field" part as I just don't care about that and have never gone through any gyrations to change it.

2) Cortana cannot be 100% disabled because Cortana is Windows Search at its core.  However, if you open settings and search on "Cortana & Search" you'll find some of the settings that allow you to turn off the "personal digital assistant" part.  Also see "Speech, Inking, & Typing" settings and if your machine is "getting to know you" then turn that off.  I don't know what it says when that's on as I turned it off ages ago, but when it's off the button on that page reads "Get to know me" because it's not actively doing so at the moment.  You can also remove anything from the cloud that is already "known about you" if you follow the links in Cortana & Search settings to do so.  Also, if you want your taskbar not to have the full search box then right click on the taskbar and under the Search context menu option choose either "Show Search Icon" or "Hidden"

3) You do not uninstall Edge.  It's a part of Windows 10 just like Internet Explorer was (and actually still is) a part of Windows.  If you don't want to use it just delete the icon from the taskbar and the start menu.

4) Can't answer about Xbox.  I simply deleted the icon from my start menu a long time ago and have never been bothered since.  I did the same with OneDrive, too, as I don't use it.

Thanks for the response.

1) Noted, however, I still get a 90% (or so) blank square with a tiny pic in it, which is useless as I can't discern it. May as well be no square at all, and just the text line. Interestingly, the only icon that appears full size (no white square) is the Bing one. Try it and you will see the difference I am referring to - you will get a bright orange square with a b in it .. just as desk top icons should be. Go figure.

Can anyone help with this ? It is really important I get proper icons. I work with 3 - 4 computers on my desk.

2) Noted. Will go through those steps later. The thought that Cortana is listening to me is odious!

3) Noted. I recall in W7 you actually could uninstall IE, but no problem. Moot point,

4) No way to remove icon from start menu. Only option that come up are Pin to start, Pin to taskbar, share, Rate and review.

#5 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:55 AM

I hate it. 

If you do not like Windows, you should say it on the Microsoft feedback, not here. Here ain't nobody guilty, that you do not like.

How do you know I haven't said it in MS feedback ?

And why not here?

This is a discussion forum is it not? Discussion often includes much criticism.

Who said anything about anyone being guilty here?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

I can't help with your current issues. If those do not get solved you may want to look at classic shell. I needed it to make Windows 8.1 usable. This will work with the Anniversary Update but I can't say it will not get broken with the next major update in 2017 called Creators.

http://www.classicshell.net/

And yes, this forum is a discussion forum for Windows 10 to let people share their views on Windows 10, good or bad.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#7 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the post JohnC-21. I'm hesitating on the classicshell at the moment, because as you mentioned, it could be a problem later.

Is there any W10 people here ? Surely, I ask questions that would be simple for you to solve. For a product (or service now?) that describes itself as the 'worlds most useful tool' (in some advertising that I've seen) these things should not be difficult.

To recap, and provide more explaination;

1) I work with several computers on my desk, and the nature of my work requires that I flick from one to the other very quickly, bringing up various web pages. By necessity, the screens are nearly one meter from my eyes. And I can't move them each time. The normal icons on my W7 and Linux machines are perfect for this purpose - I can see them easily, particularly as I have them on  medium or large size. But not so in W10 - I get either a medium or large white square with a splash of color in the middle, which requires more moves, effort, etc, from me. Once or twice is OK, but several hundred times a day and at quick pace ? Doesn't work for me.

2) How do I get rid of the Xbox link in the start menu and also prevent any further prompts to activate my Xbox account, etc. It seems comical .. almost inane that this is the situation and I am unable to do anything about it.

Hope someone can help.

Edit to add;

The white space icon referred to doesn't happen with systems files, and Microsoft links such as Bing.

Edited by alter501, 28 February 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

You have posted in the discussion sub-forum. You should probably ask the questions in the Windows 10 support forum. People see your thread title and don't realize the problems you are having. Creating a new thread in the Support Forum with the appropriate thread title will give you a better chance of having your questions answered.

#9 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Done!

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Hi everyone.

I have moved this post from discussion to support, and deleted a post in support pointing to this one.

Nick

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

X-box... see here

https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

#12 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

Hi opera, thanks.

Can't believe that I done that, but .. I done it. Xbox gone!

Why did they have to make it so difficult ?

Handy tool, that Powershell.

Any info about the icon issue from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Regarding Classic Shell.  I've used this with Windows 8.1 and have been using it with Windows 10 for the last nine months and have not experienced any issues with it.  It simply does what it is advertised to do.  The start menu is much simpler to use than the Windows 10 start menu.  If you install Classic Shell you can switch between the two menus by pressing the Windows key and Shift to revert it temporarily back to the Windows 10 Start Menu, then press the Windows key alone to revert it back to the Classic Shell menu.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Thanks dc3. I will probably give it a go and see how I go with it.

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:18 AM

I actually personally really like windows 10 but agree its start menu is rather crappy.

I mean I can deal with its looks (though I find 7 far more attractive) but yeah agree cortana and the new start menu were not good ideas.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users