Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 frequent hard freezes, no BSOD

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

I've tried everything I can think of, so I'm hoping that you all here can help.

As referenced in the title, for the past month I have been experiencing frequent full freezes of Windows 10, which necessitate a hard reboot by holding the power button down. There doesn't seem to be any outward correlation to programs active, processes currently running, etc, that I have been able to tell. What happens during the freeze is that any internet-connected applications will cease to connect, followed by a lock-up of everything roughly 15 seconds later, but with no BSOD and nothing obvious in Event Viewer that seem at all related to the crashing. I originally thought it had something to do with video driver conflicts, so I made sure those were updated, as well as other drivers, but crashes still occurred. After a while, I decided to try reinstalling Windows 10 fresh, using the clean installation utility in Settings, to try using solely the manufacturers default drivers, but still experienced crashes. I then tried to update drivers using only the versions presented on the Dell website (e.g., I'm currently using a five-month old AMD driver from the website, rather than the newest version), but I am still frequently crashing even on that set-up. Crashes have been rather varied in day-to-day frequency; some days, like yesterday, I experience zero, and other days I crash four times or more. It even froze and had to be rebooted while typing this post.

My other thought was maybe it's temperature-related, as the bottom and back sides of the laptop tend to get warm, but I keep it generally well-ventilated, and the crashes don't even seem to related to when the laptop is running warm to the touch, either.

My laptop is still under warranty, being only three months old, but I am very reluctant to send it back to Dell as I use it quite often, and I don't have anything else I can fall back on to use in the meantime, so I'm hoping that I can fix it myself (with some help).

I tried running Perfmon four times, but it has never generated a report regardless of how long I let it run, and I included an Event Viewer log for good measure, just in case.

· OS - Windows 10
· x64 
· What was original installed OS on system? - Windows 10
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? - OEM
· Age of system (hardware) - Bought November 2016, appears to have been manufactured October 2016
· Age of OS installation - clean installation less than one week ago

· CPU - Intel Core i7 (7th Gen) 7500U / 2.7 GHz
· Video Card - AMD Radeon R7 M445 - 4 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

· System Manufacturer: Dell
· Exact model number: Inspiron 15 5567
· Laptop

Attached Files

Edited by nearfantastica00, 27 February 2017 - 10:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

Just wanna inspect your Live Kernel Events before moving on:

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• Type in %WinDir%\LiveKernelReports and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• If prompted to take permissions of that folder, please do so.
• Copy/paste the entire contents of that folder to your Desktop.
• Zip up (use .ZIP!!!) those files and attach them in your next reply.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Sure, here you go:

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Both of the dumps point to something wrong about your Intel graphics drivers:

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by : igdkmd64.sys ( igdkmd64+12f50 )
Are you attempting to use both your AMD graphics card and your on-board graphics card?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I have experienced a couple graphics driver crashes that seemed to have corrected themselves without freezing in the past week since clean installing Windows; could those be related? As for your question...possibly? I have not (knowingly) changed any settings related to usage of graphics cards since obtaining my laptop in November, so those would be whatever the default settings were. What would you suggest I try?

Edited by nearfantastica00, 01 March 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hmm... I'm a little confused. Are you still experiencing hangs and freezing? If not, what are your current issues?

#7 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

Yes, I am still experiencing freezes. The video driver crashes mentioned seem to be something else entirely.

My most recent freeze was last night at about 8:15pm CST.

Edited by nearfantastica00, 01 March 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

That clears everything up — thank you.The freezes, hard hangs, and BSODs are almost certainly related to your graphics drivers. Is it possible to open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and disable your Intel Graphics drivers?

#9 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

Yes, I am able to do that, and just did. I'll see if this changes anything.

This is potentially unrelated (I know "too much information" doesn't help in diagnosing issues), but it's something I noticed and wanted to bring up. When I have the Intel graphics drivers disabled, and I attempt to load the settings program for my AMD drivers, I get a pop-up that says "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD graphics driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." Yet, when I open Device Manager, the AMD graphics driver appears to be working (there is no yellow triangle or warning icons, at least). Is that...something I should be concerned about or try to fix, or just leave it for now because it doesn't seem to be affecting anything?

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

That's odd. I suggest you reinstall your AMD graphics drivers with a fresh copy from Dell's website (again). Also, try a clean install.

#11 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, that seemed to fix that issue. :) I'll update later if I have any more crashes.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Okay. :) Now we wait........... hoping for the best!

#13 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

I haven't experienced any crashes yet, but since this seems to be related to the entire graphics driver/card conundrum, I thought I'd bring it up.

With the Intel drivers disabled, I'm experiencing incredible amounts of slowdown and frame rate drops on anything even remotely graphics intensive. Even game apps downloaded from the Windows store are running currently at single digit frame rates. In addition, trying to access AMD settings has gone back to giving me an error popup, albeit a different one this time: "Radeon Settings are currently not available. Please try again after connecting AMD graphics." This message has also persisted after a reboot. This is leading me to believe that somehow my AMD drivers are dependent upon my Intel drivers being enabled, as re-enabling the Intel drivers seems to stop those messages and games/applications work as normal. Any thoughts on that situation or suggestions on what to do next? It seems...weird that the trade off for possibly not crashing (nothing yet, but as noted crashes are not consistent) is that my computer fails to run even what's essentially ported smartphone games.

EDIT: I should also note that Device Manager is still telling me that my Radeon drivers are working properly.

Edited by nearfantastica00, 01 March 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Ah, you're right. See this guide and follow these instructions:

https://community.amd.com/thread/180701

#15 nearfantastica00

nearfantastica00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

Should I be installing the drivers from the Intel/AMD websites, or from Dell?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users