Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using yahoo for email

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nora10514

Nora10514

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

I am very aware that yahoo was hacked.  However, Yahoo is my email address and has been for many years?  Every one I know has my email contact information as Yahoo. All my personal and business contacts know to contact me that way. If I get rid of it now, I will have a huge communication issue and lose contact with many people that I need to stay in contact with.  I do have a gmail email as well, but do not use it very often.  Most people I communicate with do not know about it.  Recently, I was advised by a retired security consultant to stop using my Yahoo address.  Is this really necessary?  Is there a security expert on this forum that can guide me on this?  Do I really need to drop Yahoo after changing my password? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

Straight up, Yahoo has and will always be about money before security.

They have the worst protocols ever known and exploits pffffft too many to list here.

Simple advice, drop it faster than a fatty drops their diet plans after new years eve.

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

Like you I have both Yahoo & Gmail. However, I strictly limit my Yahoo email account to friends & family only. No business contacts, that's what I use Gmail for & it's setup with 2 step authentication. 

It's not that difficult to change your contact info for banks, businesses etc. As to your friends, just create one single email to send [BCC] notifying them of your new contact email address. You may

have to send it again to those that didn't take the time to update with your new info. There's always a couple of stragglers.

One small advantage in having a Yahoo account though, is that you can have a custom Home Page providing the content you want. For example I have specific BleepingComputer postings on my home

page via RSS amongst other feeds.

Verizon is/has acquired Yahoo. Hopefully we will see some well needed improvements. Time will tell. http://bgr.com/2017/01/10/verizon-yahoo-purchase-altaba/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 Nora10514

Nora10514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

thanks for your reply.  I have to admit that although I have both Yahoo and Gmail, I prefer using Yahoo.  It's so much easier to use and intuitive than gmail.  It is more like other email systems that I have used.  I must admit that I do not use Gmail, because it confuses me.  Why is it safer to use Yahoo for friends and family over Gmail.  How does using Yahoo email for business make it a higher security risk?

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

How does using Yahoo email for business make it a higher security risk?

Well here's one reason I don't trust Yahoo: http://bgr.com/2016/10/06/yahoo-mail-fbi-spying/

I have nothing but email jokes, pictures, etc in Yahoo. Nothing there I need to hide or fret over. 

As to Gmail, I find it user friendly, especially after setting it up to my liking. It will remain confusing to if you don't use it.

We all have to start out crawling before walking. Well, most of us anyway.

http://thehackernews.com/2016/03/gmail-security-privacy.html 

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

It depends on your usage. If you don't have anything that you would particularly want to hide from the FBI you are better off using Yahoo. While, it cannot be said with 100% confidence that the FBI is away from Google as well. This can draw a debate.

#7 Nora10514

Nora10514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

thanks.  My concerns are not so much about privacy.  I do not care if the FBI reads my mail.  My question is related to identity theft and other types of fraud.

#8 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

thanks.  My concerns are not so much about privacy.  I do not care if the FBI reads my mail.  My question is related to identity theft and other types of fraud.

I don't think you'd have to worry about identity theft. 

#9 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

I think it is personal choice though  I have seen more hacks on Yahoo Mail than any other so given the choice between Yahoo and Gmail, I would advise Gmail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users