Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Updates Fail to Install (Win 8.1)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GDT824

GDT824

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite S75-A7221 laptop, Windows 8.1, 64-bit OS/64-bit processor.  On 7.31.2015, Windows update installed an Update for MS Windows (KB2976978), after which Windows Update has failed to install every single critical or other update ever released by Microsoft -- no "Update for"/"Security Update for" or "Hotfix for" Windows -- other than (strangely) Update for Windows (KB2934520) which installed on 8/8/16??.

I am also afraid I may be infected with a virus of some kind or uninvited guest user that may be messing with PC, router or network, so I don't know which problem and forum I should have posted to first.  If not here, let me know or please move this new posting to where it does belongs.

I've rummaged around your forums a couple of years and know this problem is, or was at one time, not uncommon.  At the time I ran sfc /scannow and DISM which did not find any problems, but mention was made in one or several posts that the BITS service must be running for Windows Update to function.  I do know that my BITS service is never running.  Running the BITS troubleshooter found nothing and manually restart BITS did not help.  In one post, a technician walked a forum member through steps to isolate the program or process or service or whatever it was that was disallowing BITS to run.  However, at the time, I did not try to replicate the same troubleshooting steps for my own machine.

My laptop is full of installed and simply executable utilities of all kinds.  I'm sure I'm running multiple kinds? of virus, malware, internet protection add-ons and systems, including Bitfinder's "Box" which is attached to and handling the functions of my D-Link wi-fi router which avails all of our home's devices access to our satellite internet service which enters the house and first goes through a Hayes Modem.

My laptop is a mess but I can't afford to rebuild right now.  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

GDT824

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

GDT824,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

It's my hope that we can be of assistance to you, though as you commented, the Topic may be moved to the 'Am I Infected' if needed. 

Let's begin with your network. Reboot both the modem & router by first removing the input cable (if cable Internet) from the modem, unplug the power & allow to sit for a minute. Then remove the power from your router & while it's sitting, screw the data cable back in first, then the power cord. You may also plug your router back in, this should 'flush' the lines & hopefully will have faster Internet as a result. 

Now, let's see if any portable security will run on the computer. Download Emsisoft Emergency Kit from here at Bleeping Computer, there'll be a file to extract, would be great to have a USB drive with enough space (1GB minimum) to extract this to & allow for future expansion/quarantine, have to create a folder first, name it 'EEK' so that you'll remember. If by chance one isn't available, it's OK to extract this file in a created folder in your Documents, just as with the USB stick, name it 'EEK'. :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/

Now you can test to see how infected you may be (if the modem/router fix above didn't get things going), normally if one's badly infected, oftentimes no scanner will run unless renamed. That's beyond the scope of a Windows 8.1 Topic & would need to be addressed in 'Am I Infected', I'm not going that deep here. Yet you can first try a Malware scan with EEK, click onto the icon that should say 'USB stick Starter' (or similar wording), the icon will look like that on the page I linked above, to the left of 'Download Now', which starts the interface. 

If you've made it this far, look in the screenshots & click 'Update Now', once done, the app may need to be restarted, you'll be notified, if successful update, then run a Malware Scan, which should take a few minutes max, unless a lot of infections/PUP's are found & will be quarantined (reboot may be required). Regardless of result, then run the Custom Scan, which scans every file on the computer, if not running a SSD, this will be slow, and can allow to run before going to bed, work, or running errands (no need to be in a hurry), any Threats are automatically selected for Quarantine and this will be applied as soon as you choose action, again, a mandatory reboot will likely be required.

I am also afraid I may be infected with a virus of some kind or uninvited guest user that may be messing with PC, router or network, so I don't know which problem and forum I should have posted to first.  If not here, let me know or please move this new posting to where it does belongs.

If the above doesn't get you disinfected, or refuses to run, then the Topic will be moved to 'Am I Infected' by a Moderator. You may always feel free to contact one, on the main page, it shows who is logged in and membership level by color. Moderators are in bold Blue print. Though let's hope we can get you going w/out that extreme, as it may require a few days in line, and you must be able to precisely follow instruction. Just letting you know upfront. :)

Resetting the modem as described above will fix that, sometimes routers needs a factory reset, refer to your manual, there's a Reset switch that one has to use a pointed object while powered in to restore to out of the box condition. Then you need to go in there & disable Remote Administration & UP&P, as well as rename the network & change all passwords to those that only you'll know, and never share this information. Make passwords strong, using a mixture of upper/lower case letters, some numbers, and at least 2-3 of these keys in between (~!@#$%^&*_+=`?<>). This includes your wireless password, which should be different from the above. 

If you don't take charge of your own security, the same thing will happen over & over again. It begins with network control & ends with the user. :)

I do know that my BITS service is never running. 

In that case, in the Charms Bar, type in Services & then when it shows, click onto it. BITS is an acronym for Background Intelligent Transfer Service, needed not only for Windows Update, also some other features of Windows. If the Service is not running, then there's an option at the left to Start the Service, and at the bottom, select Automatic (Delayed Start) & then Apply & OK. As long as there's no underlying issues preventing the Service from starting, BITS should now be up & running. :)

Assuming you can start BITS (and no infections), if Emsisoft Emergency Kit finds any (or even if not), then I suggest that you download & install Malwarebytes, which offers a 14 no-cost Trial of the Premium edition, be sure to accept the offer. You want the latest version (3.0.6). Be sure in the Settings that rootkit detection is enabled, and when prompted, run the initial Threat Scan (will show as 'Fix Now'). :)

Last thing, and this came up with another member, you may need to run one or more tools from Microsoft that could take several hours each to run, no matter whether a SSD or HDD is installed. It'll look as though it's hanging, don't worry, when ready, another small window will open to install the hotfix. Be sure that in your Power Plan, during all of these actions, the computer is not allowed to go to Sleep. Go to the Charms bar, type in Control Panel & then type in the box, Power Options. The reason why I'm having you do it this way, is for you to have the option of pinning the Control Panel to the Taskbar, just right click on the icon while there & select 'Pin to Taskbar'. Now it's easier to access these functions. 

Now that we're into Power Options, you can stay with Balanced if desired, just choose under Sleep from the drop down list, 'Never' & then Apply. This way, these tests won't be interrupted. :)

Here's the instructions for fixing update issues, note that it also covers the Sleep issue above, that is unless enabling BITS & rebooting the computer begins to auto download updates, be sure that Windows Update is set to Automatic after enabling BITS. :)

https://www.howisolve.com/checking-for-updates-stuck-solved-windows-7-sp-1-8-1-10/

Hopefully running Windows Update for a few hours (or less if needed) will get the updating process rolling. If not, work your way down the steps. I've never had to use Option #4, so cannot comment on how well that works (or doesn't), looks to be having a lot of updates already on optical media or USB stick & ready to use on one or more computers. Probably would be good for a technician that services computers for a living or hobby (may consider building one of these myself), as long as the one using it makes sure that any underlying issues are fixed. Though am certain that with some, these would have to be, or updates will fail. 

That's it for now, if you have any further questions, be sure to post. I'm a night owl & therefore may not be posting in your time zone, hopefully others will chime in as needed, and it's our hope that we don't need to send you to the 'Am I Infected' section, though we all do what has to be done. 

BTW, that's a killer notebook you have there (as long as it's configured as shown), has a massive quad core i7 (4th gen), and it's PassMark score is impressive for a mobile. :)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=intel+core+i7-4700mq+%40+2.40ghz&id=1923

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216727

This may also be a case of a 'botched' Windows 8.1 upgrade, after seeing the notebook shipped with Windows 8. We'll soon see if this is the case or not. The good thing being, you can download new media & refresh the device w/out losing any of your work, just would have to reinstall any 3rd party software. A Reset is more destructive, wipes your drive (other than the Recovery Partition) & loads a clean install of Windows 8.1, in which case you'll need to save anything of importance to some type of external media, make sure that if you have paid for software keys, that these are available. A Reset is basically a clean install, of which the latter is faster if push comes to shove, though in the case of infection, the Reset more securely erases the drive than the quick format that the clean install performs. 

And don't forget the networking details above, prevention is a lot better than cure when it comes to hijacked networks. Never share your keys, if your router has Guest Access, use that, and change the password when any connected user leaves. :)

It's time to roll & get that Toshiba back to mint condition on the software level, is more powerful that my best notebook by over 1,000 points (as measured by PassMark). :thumbsup:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 28 February 2017 - 05:27 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 GDT824

GDT824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

Cat,

Forgive slow response. Your reply is substantive and encouraging. A personal problem has hindered me from proceeding the last few days. However, I'm serious about needing and taking advantage of your obviously experienced help. Give me a day or two more, and I'll be back to you.

For some reason (and I'd be hard pressed to tell why), my laptop isn't anywhere nearly as impressive as PassMark's published score. For one thing, 8 of my 16 GB of RAM went bad a year or so ago, and I've not yet replaced the card. But even before that, the Windows Experience Index (when it was still an 8.0 laptop) wasn't all that impressive. However, I'm not knowledgeable about things I might could have done, or might could do now to improve performance... beyond curing existing illnesses and getting Win Updates doing it's thing again. Sounds like you can help me in more ways than I even know exist (I'm an old legacy programmer, but an absolute ignoramus about hardware, networks, security... pretty much anything important now. :-)

Be back to you soon. Also, can you comment on what I should do, physical and powering up or down, the Bitdefender "Box" I'm using to (supposedly) keep all of our devices problem free. You mentioned what to do about the modem and router. Are you familiar with the "Box", and if so do you know what and when and how I deal with that, in the context of your above instructions? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Sincerely,

Gregg

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

Are you familiar with the "Box"

GDT824, that's the first I've heard about that gadget, if it were that good at keeping things in order, I'd have heard of it & be the owner of one. :)

I'll research it though & see what I can dig up. 

You probably should had returned that computer while in warranty, it's not that old, and given how long back it was when Windows 8 was released & was giving issues, should had demanded an RMA on it when these signs were first noticed. Many times on these Toshiba's (& some other brands), the RAM modules are soldered into place, all it would take is just one bad spot with the solder & the stick touching a component that it shouldn't, can cause major & permanent issues that's beyond my ability to repair. The only thing that a determined consumer can do (at their own risk) is if the RAM modules are not removeable, find a like motherboard at an inflated price, or carry to an Toshiba authorized repair center. Though I still recommend that you check the RAM yourself to make sure that these are soldered in place. While most are, sometimes one can luck up & get one that's not. If so, then you may be able to fix the notebook with a new, matched RAM kit. Or if you can determine which is bad via removal, replace with the same exact module. Some of which can be found on eBay, guaranteed not to be DOA, or your money back. 

While I'm good at working on PC's (and also why I'm an enthusiast over these), the only things I use notebooks for is when I have to go somewhere, from room to room, or occasionally, outdoors. All I've heard since becoming a PC enthusiast has been 'The PC is dying', 'is dead', and on & on, while at the same time, Newegg, Amazon, and many other reputable sites are selling hardware like mad. So these are not dead nor dying, just being used less by Home & Office users. Yet for all of those notebooks in the workplace, these syncs stored data to one of more computers, maybe a small to mid-sized Server. 

However, I'm serious about needing and taking advantage of your obviously experienced help.

Thanks for the compliment, though please note that I'm not an 'expert' at this (or anything), what I know & have learned was via the University of Hard Knocks, where at first, I had my share of setbacks. Yet I didn't wallow in these, learned by writing down so that II wouldn't forget (have memory lapses), the good old pen & paper isn't going anywhere either. :)

And over the years, kept learning more & more, and last year, I finally had the confidence to build a new PC. Once I showed that off to others (look in my sig, first Speccy link), others wanted the same, so they purchased their own hardware, which gave them their warranty for these components rather than me, and I'd build one for them. Will be doing two more as soon as the folks gets their tax returns. Oh, and the other two Speccy links are also self-builds, the 2nd one is plenty powerful also, though made one mistake.......choosing RAM. I was going by what Intel stated the CPU's were capable of running, rather than the MB's, which can adjust up to at least DDR3-2400 modules for the top two, DDR3-1866 for the last, though in real World usage, one may not see a visible difference (other than benchmarks) in performance between DDR3-1600 & 1866, and I'd not waste the cash for such an upgrade. Though had I purchased these at the time of the DDR3-1600 modules, then it would had made sense to spend a few more dollars on 1866MHz RAM for that one PC, and my plans are to upgrade my main one to DDR3-2400. 

That's enough about my hardware, the focus here is on yours, what the above covered was one of my mistakes in not purchasing the 'right' RAM for my motherboard. 

Whenever you're ready to lets see what we can do, am happy to work with you, hopefully a more experienced notebook enthusiast will chime in to assist in finding out your issue. :)

Note that you may need to perform tests, depending on who may also be assisting, to find out what's going on here. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hello

I had the same problems, and I am thinking there may have an Update with a problem.

Please read the page linked below, as it repaired all of my Update problems since November.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/640611/need-to-install-msvcr71dll/#entry4186856

Thank dc3 ii this works for you, as it has for several of us

Regards -

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:40 AM

Jaycan, thanks for chipping in, I believe that the OP may benefit from this. :)

That is, if any hardware issues are ruled out as the culprit first. Everything begins with a strong foundation, a computer w/out hardware issues & a properly installed OS (or upgrade). I had better luck with the Windows 8 Pro promo Upgrade with bonus Media Center upgrade (that feature key took 3 days to arrive) for $40 in 2012 than the 8.1 one that followed. Though I upgraded over the RP, and once activated on the machine, clean installed the OS, as it was only a Preview, nothing was lost, and I had my security software keys, as well as the W8 Pro COA in my email. So I moved the ISO onto an external, with a few documents & downloads, to an external & performed from scratch, a clean install, and used the Windows 7 drivers in Compatibility Mode to have a great running OS. :)

Later did the same with Windows 8.1, when released, and finally (again & for the last time), the one with Update 1 included, to which I didn't have to enter a COA. Not too long after that, came the first of the W10 Developer Previews, which I ran in a VM, and by then, had lost interest in 8.1, though do have to admit, Windows 8.1 with Update 1 provided superior power management over Windows 7, and why today (plus support is winding down), I'd not consider purchasing the OS, unless dropped to $25 on promo (that's not going to happen :lol:). Though at this time, wouldn't hesitate to purchase 8.1 Pro, still supported until 2023. :)

Many of us at that time believed this was a new way of issuing service packs, and in the case of 8.1, this may be true, albeit a buggy one for many. What it really was, a test for how to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest releases in the future, which at first was 'hit or miss' also. Beginning with the Previews & into the first few releases. I believe by the time the Anniversary Update (for W10) rolled around, Microsoft had gotten better than ever with upgrades & hasn't looked back.

Still, we have to ensure the OP has a healthy computer before we do anything, otherwise any work on the OS will be for nil. Hopefully the OP will return soon so that we can get this resolved, beginning with running tests on the OS, I presume beginning with the memory. If there's an issue there, we cannot set that to the side, unless the bad module is first removeable (if possible). Only after any Hardware issues are fixed, can we move forward. :)

For one thing, 8 of my 16 GB of RAM went bad a year or so ago, and I've not yet replaced the card.

Jaycan, again thanks for your contribution, may be what the OP needs, once any & all hardware issues are resolved. :)

Cat

#7 hugeB

hugeB

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:25 AM

GDT824,

Last year, my Windows 8.1 suddenly stopped to load and install updates, it was resolved by following the procedures stated in the screenshot.

Hope the procedures also apply to your system.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users