Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Windows 10 Apps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 allawasurvivor

allawasurvivor

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Are there any programs or tricks available that can block Windows 10 apps?

I am forced to create an email address for my son's child account and give him access to the Windows Email app. Why can't I have control of my own child's destiny?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

Does your son have a standard account, while only you have the reigns of the admin-level account?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 allawasurvivor

allawasurvivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Yes

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Yes

I'm a Windows 7 user, so I can only guess that you should be able to tweak his account as an admin to deny him what you want to deny him.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 March 2017 - 05:47 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 allawasurvivor

allawasurvivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

Nope, unfortunately that ability was taken away in Windows 8 along with the added requirement of your child having their own email address.

Anybody know any way to block a Windows 10 app from running?

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hi, allawasurvivor!

You can try this as it may help: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8739/restrict-users-to-run-only-specified-programs-in-windows-7/

Even though the title does say Windows 7, the screen shots clearly show Windows 10 and as such, the instructions should work on that OS too.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 07 March 2017 - 10:08 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

I suggest you do a web search on "Windows 10 Child Account" and read up on the controls for same.  There is a lot of good material out there.

You can "lock down" a child account on Windows 10 quite tightly and you can set one up as a local account as well, which would not require an e-mail address (though it sounds like that's not what you'd want in this case, anyway).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 allawasurvivor

allawasurvivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hi, allawasurvivor!

You can try this as it may help: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8739/restrict-users-to-run-only-specified-programs-in-windows-7/

Even though the title does say Windows 7, the screen shots clearly show Windows 10 and as such, the instructions should work on that OS too.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Thank you for that, unfortunately Microsoft decided it was so important to actually hide the Windows 10 apps, I looked all over but I cannot find anywhere online the actual location of the apps! :-(

Any idea how to find them?

#9 allawasurvivor

allawasurvivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:35 AM

I suggest you do a web search on "Windows 10 Child Account" and read up on the controls for same.  There is a lot of good material out there.

You can "lock down" a child account on Windows 10 quite tightly and you can set one up as a local account as well, which would not require an e-mail address (though it sounds like that's not what you'd want in this case, anyway).

Nope, I spent many hours with the controls and there is no way that I can see to disable it through Windows Family.

Local accounts have even less control, you cannot use Windows Family on a local account.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 536 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

Hi again, allawasurvivor!

Thank you for that, unfortunately Microsoft decided it was so important to actually hide the Windows 10 apps, I looked all over but I cannot find anywhere online the actual location of the apps! :-(

You are welcome!

I would recommend trying this: https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

For reference, my Windows Email app is located in this folder: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8004.42017.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

In there you can locate HxMail.exe and block it.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 09 March 2017 - 03:01 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 536 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

With all due respect, did you manage to solve the issue with my instructions?

Regards,
midimusicman79

#12 allawasurvivor

allawasurvivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

I haven't had the chance yet to try it, I'll let you know as soon I check it out.

#13 allawasurvivor

allawasurvivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

You are welcome!

I would recommend trying this: https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

For reference, my Windows Email app is located in this folder: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8004.42017.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

In there you can locate HxMail.exe and block it.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Thank you! I followed the instructions, got in and just deleted the stupid thing.

Can't wait until he tries to go send another email!  :devil:  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users