Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Android tablet recommendation

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

I've got an iPad2 and a Kindle Fire HD.  I'm looking for a non-Amazon tablet in the $100 to $300 range, cheaper is better.  Main use will be for applications that are only available on the Google Play store, specifically the Prepd app.

My budget for the new tablet is: $100 - $300

What are the primary uses for this tablet (IE: email, web browsing, playing games, etc)? Apps

What Operating System are you used to or would prefer if any (leave blank if you're unsure)? Latest Android version.

How big of a screen would you want? bigger is better >9"

Will this tablet be for college, work, home etc? Home

Do you want to be able to do two things at once, or one thing at a time? Good, but not necessary.

Do you want USB ports to plugin flash drives? No, but a micro memory slot would be a bonus.

Edited by Kilroy, 27 February 2017 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

I have the Samsung Galaxy tab (older edition - I think I got it 2 years ago or so). Looks like the tab 4 can be had for around $280 off amazon. I haven't heavily used mine for a little while, but still use it on occasion for videos. Besides the Note they screwed up, Samsung's quality is usually very good. I would recommend taking a look at those.

*Edit

And know I am checking out that Prepped app... looks intriguing.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 27 February 2017 - 01:30 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,571 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

These don't have the latest Android. If you have a Walmart nearby you may want to check their website. The RCA looks like a good deal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Tab-10-with-WiFi-10.1-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-6.0-Marshmallow-Operating-System-Slate-Black/54476996#about-item

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-11-Galileo-Pro-11.5-2-in-1-Tablet-with-Keyboard-Case-Android-6.0-Marshmallow/53990867

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

I was looking on New Egg earlier and I didn't see any Nougat machines.  I believe that is the "current" Android release.  I think I'll pull the trigger on the RCA this evening.  I looked on Amazon and it is $110.

Placed the order and it will be here Thursday.

Edited by Kilroy, 27 February 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

Well, the tablet arrived yesterday.  It is heavy, at least compared to the Kindle Fire 10 HD.  It is interesting because it has both a micro SD slot and you can connect USB drives to it.  Both the micro SD and USB drive I connected it had to reformat before they could be used.  We'll see later how well they work over the long run.

Getting used to running Google version of Android over the Amazon version.  LastPass is something that gave me fits because I can't figure out how to copy my passwords from LastPass to another app.  A lot of apps have their own sign in and my passwords are 25 characters of garbage, manually typing them in hasn't been fun.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

You didn't want to use LastPass for Android? I think this is the same as the PC version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lastpass.lpandroid&hl=en

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 March 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

I installed the LastPass app from the Play store and it doesn't allow me to copy and paste the password to another app, I can only open the website.  I tried tapping, holding down, nothing seemed to work.  I haven't used the Play store version previously, I've used the Amazon and Apple versions and both allow you to copy the passwords so that you can past them into different apps.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

The only thing I could find on using LastPass with other apps. Perhaps you have already found this.

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=1763

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Actually I hadn't bothered looking yet.  Since it is an additional tablet I don't need to use it.  I'm still waiting to receive my Prepd packs so I can start bring lunch.  I was just trying to set up the basics and since I've got over 500 apps from the Amazon store I was installing some from there, but had to log into Amazon and with a 25 character garbage password it  wasn't fun.  I e-mailed myself another password so I can copy and paste from the e-mail.  I'll have to try clicking the password field later.  I'm guessing I'll have to have LastPass opened and signed in for it to work.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

LastPass has an Android help manual.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/lastpass-mobile/lastpass-for-android/#h3

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Like most people, manuals are normally a last resort for me.  I learn more by poking around.

I might work on it this weekend, but I have a new machine to set up for my father, so that will probably go first.

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,380 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hmm.. lastpass should allow you to copy and paste - I use it on my Google Pixel. Though typically I just authenticate with fingerprint and the app auto fills it in. But I can also copy the usernames and passwords. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

You should be able to click on an entry in the app then the menu pops up - in there you should be able to hit copy password or copy username.

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

Yeah, that's what I was expecting.  The iOS app once you select the site you can copy the user, copy the password, and a number of other things.  The only option I have is to go to the site.  Like I've said this is more of a side project with no real need.  I'll play with it in the future and see what happens.

Right now I'm trying to migrate from the Kindle Fire HD to it, so when something doesn't work the way I expect I just go back to the Kindle.  The one app that I bought this for works.

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,380 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

At least the app you need works! Also - keep us (well me haha) updated on how you like that Prepd stuff! It looks cool and I might buy it and give it a try!

#15 Natasha4rawlings

Natasha4rawlings

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

ASUS offer a high intense gaming tablet,and is quite Cheap.. Wishing your range and the performance is great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users