Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Creators Update will let users block installation of Win32 apps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

This is disabled by default but I still say that it will only be a matter of time before Microsoft Windows software is only available through the store. 

This option is only the first step before a complete lockdown and only UWP apps will be able to run on Windows. It wont happen tomorrow but I give it a few years. Then every program downloaded will have Microsoft taking a cut from the developer. Truly sad.

MICROSOFT IS planning to give users the option to block traditional Win32 apps from installing on their machine.

Pictures obtained by MSPowerUser (above) show a new feature which is disabled by default but clearly shows a warning that attempting to install a program (as opposed to an app) without using the Windows Store has been blocked due to a device setting.

This means one of two things. Either Microsoft is developing a feature that no one will use, or (and let's be honest, when it comes to smelling rats, this one stinks like Roland's bum) that when it goes live it'll be on by default and users will have to go out of their way in order to install the myriad of programs they've acquired over the years.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

If it prevents running win32 apps, that aren't installed already, I could see use in it. Years ago, I used an execution protection program like that, and loved having it. But if it just prevents installing programs, then it's fairly pointless.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

I see this as too little too late. I hope it works though.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Microsoft is not about to kill off the flocks of geese that have kept their "golden egg" of the Windows ecosystem getting bigger and bigger.

Third party "desktop apps" (as installed programs are now dubbed under Windows 10) are here to stay.

That there may be added control mechanisms as to who can or cannot install them and/or run them is utterly unsurprising.  I doubt that Microsoft will ever attempt to exercise the degree of control that Apple does over applications.  If things were to go "store only" it would likely look a lot more like the Google Play store which remains pretty wide open to all comers.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users