Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer not connecting with laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ReneeIII

ReneeIII

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

I have an hp printer 3930. When it is connected to my desktop which has os ubuntu it works. When it is connected to my laptop which has os windows 7 it does not work. For computer does not see that it is connected. I connected via a USB port which works with the mouse.

I removed it and tried to reinstall it using disk. I click have disk>browse > E:HPPP > setup>hp device . Result is folder doesn't contain driver

Edited by ReneeIII, 27 February 2017 - 12:59 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

See if the HP 3900 series driver from inside of Windows 7 works. Turn the printer on when doing this.

http://arisscoot-tech.blogspot.com/2011/06/hp-deskjet-3900-series-driver-for.html

#3 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

I followed the instructions. Stil didn't get any further. Still not getting the drive to show up in the box. Click hpf3900a open. Click on E drive just has E:  Pasted drive hpf3900a in the box. Still says folder doesn't contain the driver

Comment says this driver only works for Win7x86 not for x64 version. I have 64x version

Edited by ReneeIII, 27 February 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

In the instructions do not select Have Disk, select Next instead and if Windows has the driver it will auto install. 

If Windows does not have the drive see if the Windows Update Catalog driver for the 3920/3940 works. Download the first one on the page.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=HP%203920

#5 MilindNakhtare

MilindNakhtare

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:54 AM

Firstly install that driver which supports your printer after that you your printer works with your laptop. 

#6 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Firstly install that driver which supports your printer after that you your printer works with your laptop. 

I downloaded it to downloads. Still don't see any change. 

I am going to try to export the documents I need printing so I can print them on desktop with os ubuntu.

Edited by ReneeIII, 03 March 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#7 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Went to add printer > printer port > update drivers > finally found 3920/3940. Printer working now.

Thanks!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Glad you were able to sort out the problem and thanks for taking the time to post an update and solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users