Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to do a clean install or.......

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LilDove

LilDove

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Hello,

I have an Hp Pavilion Envy dv6. It has Windows 8. What has made me come to this is my dvd/cd rom drive stopped working. I have read about in the registry about lower and upper (values) and it does not have any. I have an external dvd/cd drive and it works fine. Do I need a program to run my not working player? If my installed optical drive has died, I will purchase another one. Does the new have to be the same as the one installed? Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to make a wise decision. Also, in doing a clean install, I have Windows 8 recovery from Hp.

Thank you for this website!    

Edited by LilDove, 27 February 2017 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

Before replacing the DVD drive restore the system using the HP Recovery if after that the DVD continues to not work then yes you need a new one unless there is some electrical problem like a lose connection.

Edited by SleepyDude, 27 February 2017 - 11:40 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

Hello and thank you for replying. Do I use the Hp recovery disc? Can I use my usb dvd rom? Also, Is there a way I can test my optical drive to see if there is a loose connection? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

You can pull the drive and reattach a couple of times to see if it's a connection issue. Be sure to remove the battery and power before removing the drive.

Before doing a complete recovery where you would lose all your programs installed you can boot a live linux USB flash drive and then insert a CD/DVD data disk. If it fails to read the disk then it's a hardware problem with the drive or it's connection to the motherboard. If it reads the drive then you can do a clean install of Windows.

#5 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

This is what I have done so far.. I went to my device manager, went to view hidden folders,looked to see if anything else was there with the dvd player. I uninstalled the player. Watched the video on uninstalling the optical drive. I did everything the video said to do. Put back in my drive, went back to device manager and it is installed again. Put in a movie..and I hear it trying to start ( spin) and then nothing. I also don't know what Linux is or anything about that. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

If the drive is now detected and putting in a Movie with it trying to spin then nothing would indicate a bad drive. Do you have any CDs with only data? Not a DVD movie? These drives have two lasers, one for DVDs and another for CDs. It's possible the DVD laser is bad but personally I think you are looking at a new drive.

After pulling it out look at the model number and put that into ebay. You may need to keep the plastic bezel and put it on the new drive. 

#7 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

I tried a regular CD and it didn't work either. I went to Ebay and put my model number in. Mine is a

Hp Super Multi Dvd Rewriter

Model: GT80N

FW: R102

HW: A

Type: AMCK701

Then you have numbers on the other side,

CT: 7CTTE017X3KG55

My question is, does it have to match exactly? Some of the drives they have around the same date manufactured as mine ( 2012), came out of different laptops or different brands. I truly appreciate the help! I'm learning too! :cowgirl:  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

It will be difficult finding new drives for this model. I did find this on ebay but you may want to contact HP and see how much they want for your DVD drive.  FW would be firmware version. Is the part number the same. The CT number does not have to be the same.

#9 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

Hi, I talked to an Hp sales person and they wanted to charge me ALOT for the optical drive. This drive comes with a cable? He said, that is to the motherboard from the drive. I don't think I need that. Also, I'm not weary about buying from Ebay. The optical drive you mentioned will work in my laptop? I hate that the shipping is pretty high. I guess what I'm asking is, what exactly has to match for me to purchase a drive? Thank you again! I will be asking something even more important here soon.. =) 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

The drive does not require a cable as far as I know. If you have the serial number or complete model number go to HP part surfer. Input your serial or complete mode number. This will give you an HP number for the DVD drive. Please post it.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

#11 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

682083-001

Optical disk drive DVDRWFX-includes cable ( which sales person said goes to the motherboard)

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

When you removed the DVD drive did you see a cable?  A laptop DVD drive normally pushes directly into the connectors, no cable required. Yikes. It's $113 on amazon. 

Is 682083-001 the part number shown on the drive itself? What I don't quite understand is these drives have the correct number but not GT80N or AMCK701

Ebay sells a reburbished.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-Envy-DV6T-7200-CD-RW-DVD-RW-Multi-Burner-Drive-SN-208-682083-001-/272546892021?hash=item3f750f88f5:g:r-MAAOSw241Yl21k

Edit: If you need to do a clean install you can create a bootable USB flash drive of 8.1 and a DVD drive is not required. This is not  Windows 8 and you may need to reinstall some drivers after the install. I can provide info if required on doing an install via USB flash drive. This will work if the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8, There is a program that can be downloaded to verify this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2017 - 09:23 PM.

#13 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

Attached File  Hp envy dv6.jpg   132.62KB   0 downloads

No, There wasn't any cable. It had 2 box looking things with prongs? That the drive snaps into? 

I have an external drive that I can use if I need to do a new install..

So sorry it's upside down...

Edited by LilDove, 27 February 2017 - 11:05 PM.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

The drive is manufactured by LG the important part is to confirm the dimensions, physical configuration and the type of connection if its the normal Sata connection like this one that should work in your laptop.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#15 LilDove

LilDove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

Thank you everyone for the help on this issue. Will purchase an optical drive. This thread can be closed. 

Now..to discuss what I came on here for originally...  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users