Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement GPU Advice Needed?.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

My present Radeon HD 5750 GPU is beginning to shows signs of wear. Would a Nvidia GTX 1050 be a compatible replacement, or is there anything else I would need as well?.

The stats for my present build are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 Rev 1.4

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor

RAM: OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Optical Drive: LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW DL LightScribe SATA

PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E

Storage:

Main Drive: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB ATA

Back Up HDD: Samsung Spin Point F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

Case: Xigmatek Asgard All Black Interior/Exterior

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2017 - 05:35 AM.
Moved from Building/Upgrading to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:59 AM

What do you want to do with your PC? If you're gaming, the 1050 may end up bottlenecking your CPU. If you aren't then depending on what you want to do, you might want to look for something else that is a little less.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

What do you want to do with your PC? If you're gaming, the 1050 may end up bottlenecking your CPU. If you aren't then depending on what you want to do, you might want to look for something else that is a little less.

Thanks for the reply. excuse my ignorance I am a pensioner and not exceedingly tech savvy although certainly not stupid. What does bottlenecking the CPU mean?.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. excuse my ignorance I am a pensioner and not exceedingly tech savvy although certainly not stupid. What does bottlenecking the CPU mean?.
Because you have an older CPU games won't run as fast as they could. Basically, the CPU would be holding back the GPU

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

Because you have an older CPU games won't run as fast as they could. Basically, the CPU would be holding back the GPU

I play Elite Dangerous at present and although the Radeon HD 5750 hits 99% and 75 degrees the CPU has never gone over 41degrees. Even if I got the same performance as I have at present would be ideal, would that work?.

#6 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

Yes it will work, and will still have better performance than the 5750. But as Cpt_Chiken and Planemaster2 advised, you can get more out of the GTX 1050 if it is run under a new system with better CPU performance. Kind of like putting a a huge transmission on a small block engine. 

Great game choice, and if you are happy with performance, it's perfectly fine to hold off on upgrading the motherboard, CPU, and likely the memory.

You're hitting minimum requirements, so if you do ever upgrade, you should be able to experience a highly increased level of performance with higher FPS on good resolution.

But to simply answer your question, yes the GTX 1050 is compatible and can be installed on that motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users