Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create A Shortcut For Taskmanager On Your Desktop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

This has two ways:
Way 1:
1. Go to your Partition which the windows is installed on that
2. Open "System 32" folder
3. Browse the window with scrollbar to find this file: "Taskmgr"
4. Right click on this file, from "send to”, choose desktop.

Way 2:
1. Right click on your desktop; from "new" choose "shortcut”, a new window will appear
2. Click on the Browse button. A new window will appear and you must choose this path:
My Computer |<Local drive which the windows is installed on that> |Windows |System 32 |Taskmgr, now click on the OK button,
3. Type a name for it (i.e. Task manager),click on the finish button and now you see the shortcut on your desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

Why would you need a shortcut to Task Manager? There are several much easier ways to call it up, including the famous three finger salute (Ctrl+Alt+Delete). It's not bad information, but it looks to me like it could be two seperate tips.

How to call up Task Manager:

1. Hold down the Ctrl and Alt and Delete keys at the same time.
2. Right click an empty area of the Task Bar and choose Task Manager. (May only work for XP.)
3. Click START>Run and type in Taskmgr>OK.
4. Navigate to the Taskmgr.exe file in the System32 folder and double-click it to run.

How to make a shortcut

Right click an executable (or any) file you want to make a shortcut for.
Choose Create Shortcut.
A short cut will be created in the same folder as the executable file. To move it to where you want it:

Click to select the shortcut.
Press Ctrl and X.
Navigate to whatever folder you want the shortcut to appear in and press Ctrl and V

Follow mcheraghimn's method as examples of two other ways to make shortcuts to your desktop.

mcheraghimn, you really need to check your Private Messages. Click on ...New Messages toward the top of this page near My Controls.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 MickeyRoush

MickeyRoush

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

Actually there already is a shortcut key combination for accessing Task Manager.

Hold at the same time,

Ctrl+Shift+Esc

:thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 23,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

I just right click on an empty area of my TaskBar and it's right there in the context menu!

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

I am having severe eye problems and may not be able to post back/respond.
I have just started to recover from these problems, so my eyesight is still a bit compromised.
If help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 judogoblin98

judogoblin98

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:39 PM

none of these ways work for the computer i am using i have to go into the windows folder and find it loosley in there though it isn't that slow because i can just press t and it will jump to the t's section. (windows 98)
Which came first the chicken or the egg? ...Who cares the real question is what is more fun to drop off a ten story building! Tell me here

#6 raeinbow

raeinbow

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

It doesn't sound so unbelievable. For some reason, on my laptop I am unable to right click IE or Firefox to get to Internet Properties. It used to work, but stopped working. And no, I'm talking the original solid link shortcuts, not the copied shortcuts with an arrow. Weird. I've tried many methods, had to put a shortcut to Internet Properties just so I could delete my temp files before starting it up. Wanting to do it before I open it.

My initial reaction to your suggestion, was WHAT??!!
So, good luck with the wacky system.
:thumbsup:

I'd be worried with it on the desktop. I'd put it in your START menu. My kids like to click on stuff. Some computer users don't need it being made too easy, if you know what I mean. Hopefully, you don't share the 'puter.

Edited by raeinbow, 15 November 2006 - 08:59 PM.

#7 L Oscar

L Oscar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

I don't know if I'm wrong but wouldn't you mainly use task man. when the computer freezes making any shortcut on the desktop useless? :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 23,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:04 PM

That's one use - but there's many others. You can use it to kill individual applications and processes (very handly if you're locked onto a site trying to foist off some spyware on you or if you've got a hung application that just won't close). You can also troubleshoot with it, see some system info and performance indicators - or you can use it to see what you need to kill to improve your system's performance.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

I am having severe eye problems and may not be able to post back/respond.
I have just started to recover from these problems, so my eyesight is still a bit compromised.
If help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

Taskmgr can be customized.

Choose: View>Select columns...

CPU gives real time activity.
CPU Time give total time the process has used CPU.

Three left clicks on CPU Time column header organizes the list so that
the processes that have used the most time are at the top(System Idle),
and new processes start at the bottom and move up. Can be very handy
for tracking process activity.

Sysinternals(now Winternals) offers a super taskmanager called "Process Explorer."
It's what taskmgr wants to be when it grows up. Process Explorer will show the services running under
each scvhost instance with a mouse over. Process Explorer is available free:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Download link at bottom of page.

I find it an invaluable tool.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#10 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

Another good Task Manager can be found at Dimio's Tools at: http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

Edited by scratcher, 29 November 2006 - 08:27 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#11 Wendy_S

Wendy_S

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thank you so much, mcheraghimn.

For those of you who are unaware, Ctrl Alt Delete and Ctrl Alt Escape do not work for me on my current computer (worked on all others I've had). mcheraghimn's solution (the second one) worked wonderfully. I didn't bother trying the first suggestion of his, but I assume that one works too.

And for those of you who ask "why would I want a shortcut on my desktop?"- I love having all things that I use on a fairly daily basis as shortcuts on my desktop. In the case of task manager though, I couldn't figure out a way to do it.

Thanks again, mcheraghimn. :-)))))))))

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users